Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Do you think you’re prettier than airbrushed celebrities
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 9:01 pm
amother wrote:
Do you ever ask him "what do you think? How do I look?"

no. maybe I should. I don't like to ask for compliments. if I have to ask then it's not a genuine compliment.

causemommysaid

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 9:05 pm
Librarian wrote:
I'm guessing those of you who think you could be as beautiful (or more) than a beautiful celebrity has never seen one in person. I saw Kathrine Heigle in Saks she was not wearing a stitch of makeup, hair in pony with a baseball cap and in jeans. I did not realize who she was exactly at first but I and everyone else around her could not take our eyes off her. As if she were from another improved planet. My father saw Michelle Pfeiffer at a basketball game very casual and said the movies don't do her justice. We are talking about a % of a % of the human race. And don't minimize the allure of youth - check out pictures of Bette Davis and Lucille Ball as very young women - they were once stunning!

And some are very very plain. The ones you mentioned happen to be beautiful but many are not. They are regular people like everyone else. Some prettier and some less.

glamourmom

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 9:09 pm
Librarian wrote:
I'm guessing those of you who think you could be as beautiful (or more) than a beautiful celebrity has never seen one in person. I saw Kathrine Heigle in Saks she was not wearing a stitch of makeup, hair in pony with a baseball cap and in jeans. I did not realize who she was exactly at first but I and everyone else around her could not take our eyes off her. As if she were from another improved planet. My father saw Michelle Pfeiffer at a basketball game very casual and said the movies don't do her justice. We are talking about a % of a % of the human race. And don't minimize the allure of youth - check out pictures of Bette Davis and Lucille Ball as very young women - they were once stunning!

I've never met a celeb IRL but Katherine Heigl without makeup, at least the online photos of her, is really not pretty imo. and I love Katherine. I've watched every movie she's in, multiple times.
could it be you were all staring because it's not every day you get to meet a celeb and I'm sure it's fascinating?

MrsDash

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 9:12 pm
Librarian wrote:

I saw Russell Crowe in the flesh, and I just wanted to take a bite out of him. Lord, was he handsome! (This was nearly 20 years ago...) Movies and magazines definitely did not do him justice. Mmm

tichellady

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 9:16 pm
I’m definitely not prettier than celebrities who are celebrities because of their looks ( models etc) but perhaps prettier than some famous musicians or actresses who didn’t become famous because they were gorgeous
. I’m not tall, exotic looking or particularly striking

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 9:38 pm
Librarian wrote:

I met and spoke with Kirstie Alley. She was nice looking but not traffic-stopping. She’s not as pretty as my mom who is the same age.
I also saw Emma Stone in person. She was very pretty but emaciated and dressed a little run down so she looked unremarkable.
However Cindy Crawford in person was ‘can’t take your eyes off her’ beautiful.
Some celebs are beautiful all the time. Some aren’t.

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 9:58 pm
I'm not one of them, but I do know plenty of jewish women who are stunning IRL. Just as beautiful as any actress, if not more, imho.

Fox

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 10:01 pm
amother wrote:
However Cindy Crawford in person was ‘can’t take your eyes off her’ beautiful.

A bit of personal history that I don't normally reveal:

I didn't go to school with her, but Cindy Crawford and I grew up in the same small university town. Believe it or not, she has a sister who is even more gorgeous.

However, I am eternally grateful to Cindy and her first husband, actor Richard Gere.

One of the bones of contention in their marriage, apparently, was that he never wanted to spend time with her family. One time toward the end of their marriage, he apparently claimed that he was too tired from recent filming to accompany her back to her hometown over the December holidays. But a few days later, People magazine published a photo of him hanging out at a Manhattan party with the Dalai Lama.

Well.

Mothers in DeKalb, Illinois, would have cheerfully voted to pave over Tibet to build a Walmart. To this day, if a Richard Gere movie comes on, my mother will look distastefully at the screen and say, "Isn't he that older actor?"

But it was a huge boon for me. DH can appear in a black hat and even a bekashe if he wants, and no one will bat an eyelash. As long as People magazine doesn't show him out partying in NYC with Rabbi Chaim Dov Keller, sh"lita, he qualifies as a "good husband."

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 10:29 pm
causemommysaid wrote:
And some are very very plain. The ones you mentioned happen to be beautiful but many are not. They are regular people like everyone else. Some prettier and some less.

They are regular people who are paid based on their looks so their looks tend to be well above average. The real A listers are stunning generally.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 10:51 pm
Boca00 wrote:
Without makeup, celebrities look like the lady finding a ripe tomato next to you in the grocery store. You wouldn't even look twice at most of them.

http://www.thisisinsider.com/c.....na-29

Most of these celebs look beautiful even without makeup. They have pretty features regardless of the color.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 10:57 pm
Helena bonham and cate blanchet are r really ordinary looking in real life.

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 10:59 pm
The kardashians looks ordinary-to-terrible without makeup.

Many other celebs look very ordinary without makeup; not ugly, but just ordinary.

glamourmom

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 11:16 pm
amother wrote:
Most of these celebs look beautiful even without makeup. They have pretty features regardless of the color.

some of these pics are really not pretty vs jaw-dropping stunning. the ones that are gorgeous without makeup may be just good photo selection. iow, the poster picked a photo where the celeb happens to look stunning sans makeup.
I agree with allthingsblue, similar to regular people, we're not saying celebs are ugly just ordinary.

RebekahsMom

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 11:18 pm
No, but it’s also nice to know that whether or not I have make up on does not make me look insanely different. Some of these women are either unrecognizable or just plain ugly when they’re not done professionally.

relish

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 11:26 pm
amother wrote:
no. maybe I should. I don't like to ask for compliments. if I have to ask then it's not a genuine compliment.

Brene brown, In a lecture about shame, mentions a story that happened to her.

She and her husband met with their marriage counselor and she was complaining about how he didn't do something big for her birthday. The marriage counselor asked her why she didnt ask for it.
Brene responded "if I have to ask, it's not worth it"
The marriage counselor asked "it's not worth it, or your not worth it?"

Why does it have to come only from him? Why can't you ask for what you need and/or want?

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 11:40 pm
Fox wrote:
A bit of personal history that I don't normally reveal:

I didn't go to school with her, but Cindy Crawford and I grew up in the same small university town. Believe it or not, she has a sister who is even more gorgeous.

However, I am eternally grateful to Cindy and her first husband, actor Richard Gere.

One of the bones of contention in their marriage, apparently, was that he never wanted to spend time with her family. One time toward the end of their marriage, he apparently claimed that he was too tired from recent filming to accompany her back to her hometown over the December holidays. But a few days later, People magazine published a photo of him hanging out at a Manhattan party with the Dalai Lama.

Well.

Mothers in DeKalb, Illinois, would have cheerfully voted to pave over Tibet to build a Walmart. To this day, if a Richard Gere movie comes on, my mother will look distastefully at the screen and say, "Isn't he that older actor?"

But it was a huge boon for me. DH can appear in a black hat and even a bekashe if he wants, and no one will bat an eyelash. As long as People magazine doesn't show him out partying in NYC with Rabbi Chaim Dov Keller, sh"lita, he qualifies as a "good husband."

I sometimes feel dumb when I read your posts. I have to use my brain (which is good).

But please explain- if people magazine would show DH partying with Rabbi Keller shlita, why wouldn't he qualify for a good husband?

Fox

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 1:01 am
amother wrote:
But please explain- if people magazine would show DH partying with Rabbi Keller shlita, why wouldn't he qualify for a good husband?

Basically, Richard Gere said he was too exhausted to accompany his wife to visit her family, but he apparently wasn't too exhausted to party with the Dalai Lama . . . to whatever degree the Dalai Lama parties.

This made Cindy's mom and her cohort think, "Oh, he's too tired to shlep to Chicago but not so tired that he can't stay out until all hours with a Buddhist leader from Tibet?!" Any sympathy for the plight of Tibet, which is controlled by China, promptly evaporated as far as the moms were concerned. I think they blamed the Dalai Lama by association, figuring that a truly great spiritual leader would have told a disciple to go visit his MIL.

So if my DH chooses to skip some family event (not that we hold family events in DeKalb, IL), he's safe from the wrath of DeKalb mothers as long as he stays out of People. In other words, practice any religion you want to whatever degree you wish, but don't diss DeKalb MILs.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 10:13 am
I think it's kind of funny that people are saying these celebrities aren't anything special without makeup... how many of you step foot outside the door without make-up or any kind of primping?

Of course they don't look as stunning when they are just out running errands in sweatpants... I'm assuming you also look a little different when you're out at the grocery store versus at a simcha.

I happen to think that they look pretty regardless, and that most movie-stars get famous because they DO clean up really well, and their bone structure, features and skin texture lend themselves to taking good photos and film.

I also think a lot purposely "dress down" when not doing publicity to make themselves less noticeable. Paparazzi still take pictures, but they're probably not as immediately noticeable as they would be if they were dolled up.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 10:20 am
glamourmom wrote:
some of these pics are really not pretty vs jaw-dropping stunning. the ones that are gorgeous without makeup may be just good photo selection. iow, the poster picked a photo where the celeb happens to look stunning sans makeup.
I agree with allthingsblue, similar to regular people, we're not saying celebs are ugly just ordinary.

All of them? That’s not logical since they are often hired for their looks. It’s like saying most rocket scientists aren’t smart just ordinary.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 10:21 am
amother wrote:
I think it's kind of funny that people are saying these celebrities aren't anything special without makeup... how many of you step foot outside the door without make-up or any kind of primping?

Of course they don't look as stunning when they are just out running errands in sweatpants... I'm assuming you also look a little different when you're out at the grocery store versus at a simcha.

I happen to think that they look pretty regardless, and that most movie-stars get famous because they DO clean up really well, and their bone structure, features and skin texture lend themselves to taking good photos and film.

I also think a lot purposely "dress down" when not doing publicity to make themselves less noticeable. Paparazzi still take pictures, but they're probably not as immediately noticeable as they would be if they were dolled up.

I got out without makeup. I'm not wearing any right now😀 And when I do wear, it's extremely minimal. I'm no beauty queen, but I have good features, and if I was an actor they would make me up to look the best possible.

It's not that these actresses aren't pretty. They are pretty, just not necessarily absolutely gorgeous. There are plenty of people just as pretty as them. Making it in this business is a lot about luck, not just looks.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics