Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Transitioning to new cold climate

thegiver

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 12:28 am
Anyone handled extreme weather changes before? We are considering moving to Passaic (from Florida weather) and I have no idea what to expect when the winter comes.

How do you get fresh air in the freezing winters? I'm not a home body!! How do you get a change of scenery? Do friends come and play or is it too cold for playdates? Are kids sick more often? Do ladies get together and mingle or is that only during semachos? What is community structured around for young families (I presume ppl with young kids don't go to shul)

How do you bundle and unbundle
What is the water boiler heater thing that is in homes
How do you prevent your pipes from freezing
Do I shovel my own driveway or pay to have it done?
What winter gear is essential for kids? How much is it going to cost to update their entire winter wardrobe per kid? What are good websites or stores that are cheap/affordable?
Do kids ever walk to school in the winter?

How do you connect with others? How do you get out of the house? How much longer should I expect it to take with all the layers?

Do you freeze when you shower? How do you keep your house warm? How much are you paying for heat for a 3 bedroom home per month?

Any more info is much appreciated. Thanks!

What do ppl generally do when it's humid outside? Do they still go out? Or is it unbearable? I still hate the humid weather.

Thanks!

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 12:36 am
coats. people wear coats and go outside in the winter in Passaic. Kids wear snowpants. Babies get bundled. Life continues.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 12:58 am
Woah! That's a lot of questions!
We recently moved from an extremely hot climate to a very cold climate. Yes, you need to buy coats, boots, hats, gloves, and scarves for everyone. I got most of it on sale at the end of last season since I knew I would be moving. You won't find as good sales now, but do shop around.
In the winter, you can turn on the heat to keep your house warm. Bear in mind that it's usually cheaper to run the heat than air conditioning. I don't think you have to worry about frozen pipes. People do live there year round, you know.
Kids can play with neighbors indoors on cold days. Yes, they still socialize. I don't live in Passaic, but talk to your potential neighbors and find out if the women get together.
Yes, people still function when it's humid. (Isn't Florida humid too?)
Best of luck with your move!

zohar

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 1:05 am
thegiver wrote:
Anyone handled extreme weather changes before? We are considering moving to Passaic (from Florida weather) and I have no idea what to expect when the winter comes.

How do you get fresh air in the freezing winters? I'm not a home body!! How do you get a change of scenery? Do friends come and play or is it too cold for playdates? Are kids sick more often? Do ladies get together and mingle or is that only during semachos? What is community structured around for young families (I presume ppl with young kids don't go to shul)

How do you bundle and unbundle
How do you prevent your pipes from freezing
Do I shovel my own driveway or pay to have it done?
What winter gear is essential for kids? How much is it going to cost to update their entire winter wardrobe per kid? What are good websites or stores that are cheap/affordable?
Do kids ever walk to school in the winter?

How do you connect with others? How do you get out of the house? How much longer should I expect it to take with all the layers?

Do you freeze when you shower? How do you keep your house warm? How much are you paying for heat for a 3 bedroom home per month?

Any more info is much appreciated. Thanks!

What do ppl generally do when it's humid outside? Do they still go out? Or is it unbearable? I still hate the humid weather.

Thanks!

I will try to answer your questions in order.
Fresh air can be an issue when it's cold depending on how well you tolerate the cold. I find that children have more tolerance for cold weather than adults.
People most definitely make play dates and get together often in each other's homes.
Some people find that with weather change kids get sick. I think the reason people get sick more often in the winter is because of the lack of fresh air and everyone is ontop of one another and spreading germs.
About community, I don't live in Passaic so I can't answer that.
Winter dressing: out door gear includes warm coats. I prefer down filled. I get my down coats for my children from Gap. Gloves/mittens, hats, and scarves. Warm waterproof boots are a must. Snow pants are great for playing in the snow, but aren't necessary for daily wear. Layers are important for keeping warm and are practical because you can take off as many layers as you need depending on how warm/cold your location is. Typically I would put on a child an undershirt, long sleeved tee shirt or top, a sweater or sweatshirt and then a coat. If going out to play in the snow, I would add day least one more layer. It does take time to bundle up and with a few small children I would say up to 15 min. But efficiently 5.
A boiler provides hot water to the house. Don't you have one in Florida too? I mean we use ours in the summer too.
Houses built in colder areas have their pups properly insulated, but to prevent pipes freezing and busting, make sure not to completely turn off your heat if leaving your home for an extended period of time. Just let it instead.
Paying someone to shovel your driveway and sidewalks is up to you. You will find some who do it themselves and some who have it done. In locations with lots of snowfall ppl will pay for a service to plow their driveways every snowfall, but Passaic doesn't qualify as that. Every year will be different. Some years lots of snow, and some years only a few snowfalls.
The cost of heating your home should be similar to cooling it in the summer. When you heat your home it is actually warm, so you don't freeze while taking a shower and it's quite cozy indoors.
People are not so concerned about humidity during the winter months, rather they are concerned with the wind chill factor. Just like humidity can make hot weather seem even hotter, wind can make cold weather more unbearable. In the summer it can get humid, but unless there is a real heatwave, pale go outdoors.
Hatzlacha with your move.

DrMom

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 5:07 am
You've moving to NJ, not the Arctic tundra. Of course people go outside and go to work and school and playdates and shopping and shul. Just dress warmly!

Homes and stores are generally well-heated, so it's usually just cold outside, not inside.

thegiver wrote:

Do you freeze when you shower?

No, we don't freeze... That's what the "water boiler heater thing" is for. Smile

thegiver wrote:

Of course people go out. It gets humid in Florida too. Don't people leave their homes when it is humid?

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 5:41 am
You wear warm clothes and turn on the heat as needed. Buy extra mittens for the kids - it's hard to make it through the winter with only one pair. When it's really cold, kids play indoors. You won't hang out with moms at the park, you'll be at each other's houses. I grew up in a climate far colder than Passaic. You'll survive just fine.

pesek zman

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 6:21 am
Passaic has winter, of course, but it's not (for example) Winnipeg. It gets regular cold but everyone lives their lives. They may be a rare below zero day here and there but they ar far and few between. I would definitely not classify passaic as a 'cold climate' (even by florida standards)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating