Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Freezing fresh mozzarella?

samantha87

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 9:47 pm
If I freeze fresh mozzarella balls, will they taste OK when defrosted? How long can they last if not frozen?

DH bought a huge tub of fresh mozzarella balls at Costco (3 lbs) and I haven't a clue of how to use it all anytime soon.

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 10:29 pm
I don't really know what mozzarella balls are but I freeze shredded cheese often and it's fine. I'm assuming that it would be okay for all cheeses.

challahchallah

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 10:46 pm
You can freeze but the texture will be weird when thawed. The best bet is to freeze but then use in contexts where the cheese will be melted so there's no texture problem. Pizza is a classic choice. One of my favorite options is to make baked mozzarella sticks since you have to freeze the cheese for that anyway. In any case, I wouldn't try to freeze the tub as a whole--I'd do some prep first (drain moisture, etc).

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 10:51 pm
I buy a brick of mozzarella then slice or shred it and freeze them (for health and financial reasons).
The cheese tastes totally fine once it's defrosted but it's pretty crumbly and a tad dried out.
I don't mind because I use the cheese for pizza, grilled cheese or macaroni which don't need the cheese look nice.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Oct 25 2017, 3:54 am
I don't freeze cheese

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 25 2017, 7:18 am
Make caprese salad on skewers and enjoy the mozzarella fresh.

samantha87

Post Wed, Oct 25 2017, 6:58 pm
Thanks, all!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen