Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Antivirus advice

mom35

Post Wed, Oct 25 2017, 7:24 am
What is a good antivirus for a home computer?

doctorima

Post Wed, Oct 25 2017, 10:04 am
For free or to buy? Generally, Bitdefender, Kaspersky, ESET, and Norton all get top reviews. We've used 2 of these 4 with success. The US government has recently cast aspersions on Kaspersky because of its Russian ties, though. Malwarebytes is good for stopping malware.

mom35

Post Wed, Oct 25 2017, 3:06 pm
I want something that's going to cover and give me whatever protection I need. Will the free downloads do that? If it's necessarily I would buy something, I can't afford to get viruses on my computer, I've been through too many in the past.

doctorima

Post Wed, Oct 25 2017, 3:47 pm
The free ones are definitely pretty good. The ones that cost money definitely include additional features and more protection, though nothing is ever guaranteed. A lot of it is also common sense - not going to dangerous unknown sites, not clicking on links in emails, not downloading files from unfamiliar places.

They're often going on sale, so the last couple of years we have bought and used some of the ones I mentioned for about $20 a year (for up to 3-5 devices), which definitely gives extra peace of mind that it sounds like you could use.

malkyderhn

Post Wed, Oct 25 2017, 7:37 pm
https://www.avast.com/en-us/index

mom35

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 5:17 am
I used Avast years ago and was very happy with it. Is it still considered a top antivirus? Do you use it personally and are happy with it?

malkyderhn

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 8:35 am
I have used it up till this year. For a free one id say it is very good. I know use trend micro, it is very good as well but not free, I get itt for free through work
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics