Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Hand grating vs. Food processor

ima25

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 7:46 pm
I have seen recipes calling specifically for vegetables to be hand grated. Is there such a difference? Other than having to shlep out the food processor and clean it....

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 8:00 pm
It doesn't make a difference if it's done by hand or machine, but the standard grating disc on food processors (at least cuisinart - not sure about other brands) is usually not as fine, so you might need to order a special disc for finer grating.

tweety1

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 9:03 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
It doesn't make a difference if it's done by hand or machine, but the standard grating disc on food processors (at least cuisinart - not sure about other brands) is usually not as fine, so you might need to order a special disc for finer grating.

I don't entirely agree with you. Potato kugel is much much better grated by hand than by food processor.

ima25

Post Fri, Oct 27 2017, 12:03 am
But why, do you think, there is a difference? The way it's cut? I am talking about using the grating disk, not the knife...

Amarante

Post Fri, Oct 27 2017, 12:48 am
I don't know the scientific reason but there was certainly a difference in the latkes made with a hand grater versus a food processor. And the hand processed latkes were better. I am assuming the same is true with kugel as tweety1 posted although I have less vivid memories of hand versus food processor kugel.

My bubbe used to joke that it was the blood that gave the hand processed latkes the extra flavor :-)

I think the consistency is way different - the food processor latkes are closer in texture to a mash or puree whereas the hand shredded ones are maybe more separate.

I don't really know - but the end results are different. Would I want to hand grate latkes for a crowd? Heck no :-)

heidi

Post Fri, Oct 27 2017, 1:26 am
I use the shredder disc on my processor for latkes. Not mushy at all.I once hand grated with a few of my kids and honestly, there was absolutely no difference in taste. Anything fried in that much oil is just yummy!!

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Oct 27 2017, 2:38 am
I don't see how it can make any difference if the veggie is in your hand or going through a machine. The only thing that would matter is the size/ shape of the holes on the grater or grating disc. On the old style box graters, different sides did different sized grating. Same idea with the grating discs but maybe people don't realize that a fine grating disc is available since it doesn't come with the machine.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Oct 27 2017, 5:16 am
Doing yourself, buying ready or processor can have a different texture

Chayalle

Post Fri, Oct 27 2017, 10:13 am
I make delicious (gone in a few minutes) potato kugel and latkes. All done with my excellent Braun processor. (the secret is to add hot oil to the potato mixture before baking or frying. Helps keep it whiter, too.)

But my 90-some grandmother, she should live to be 120 B"EH, differs. She says she can't stand stuff from the processor. The first Pesach after liberation, they (she, her brother, my grandfather, and an uncle) got hold of 100 kilo of potatoes, and she grated and fried all Yom Tov to feed them all, starving as they were...and all of it by hand.

More recently, my father visited her in England, and she made him hand-grated potato latkes.

My conclusion: maybe it depends on what you are used to. But I'm not switching....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics