Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How often do you polish your silver candlesticks
Previous  1  2

How often do you polish your silver candlesticks
every week  
 4%  [ 6 ]
every other week  
 11%  [ 14 ]
around once a month  
 17%  [ 22 ]
around every six weeks  
 15%  [ 20 ]
I wait more than 6 weeks before I polish  
 51%  [ 65 ]
Total Votes : 127

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 8:31 am
A lot has to do with where the river is stored during the week. I have an air-tight breakfront. My silver stays shiny for weeks in it. Until I got a real piece of furniture for my silver, I needed to polish them constantly. BTW-the Hagerty spray is unhealthy to breathe-but last much longer than the polish.

yehudis1056

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 9:03 am
I leave mine out all week on buffet where I light. Since it's out all week needs to be polished every Friday. I weirdly enjoy polishing silver so I don't mind doing it. The silver I keep in my break front needs it much less often.
The silver polish wipes don't do as good of a job but they are easier to use and faster. Just wipe rinse and dry.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 9:18 am
amother wrote:
Where and for how much? How long has it been since you've lacquered it and what sort of upkeep is there?

It's actually a leichter. It was under $200. I did it at a silver store in Brooklyn. It's over 3 years since and still looks beautiful.

yogabird

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 9:25 am
Didn't read the other posts, but I keep mine in a plastic bag tied with a twist tie and it stays nice longer that way. I keep my bechers in plastic too. Obviously, they are not on display...

newface34

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 9:27 am
Never since I got them dipped. Best decision! Also in brooklyn Sterling silver on ave J for about $120.

justmarried

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 8:43 pm
I also had my leichter lacquered and its the best thing I ever did! It was done a few years ago and still looks perfect!

They other small silver stuff get done every few weeks. I noticed that when I have my air conditioner turned on they turn gold (sometimes just the side facing the air conditioner) after each shabbos. So I need to do it more often when in the warmer months.

poledra

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 9:34 pm
I also got mine dipped. Haven't polished them in years. They still look shiny and new!

Boca00

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 9:41 pm
Do I have to say?

Let's just say gold is the new silver.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 10:02 pm
I used to buff every sliver of silver we have with a silver mitt every motzash. The stuff always looked great but I got really tired of it and my hands would hurt. Now I wait till it starts to look a bit yellowed. cream polish is messy and takes more time what with the rinsing and drying, but takes less elbow grease.

giselle

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 10:04 pm
amother wrote:
and kiddush cup and things you use every Shabbos, but for the poll I just want to hear candlesticks. I plead the fifth to my own question but I just got a cleaning lady and I will pass the task to her and wondering how often I should ask her to do it.

Whenever I notice it needs a shine, I leave it out for her to do.

amother
Black

Post Fri, Oct 27 2017, 12:05 am
I had my cleaner polish my silver once. Biggest mistake ever. I don’t know what she used but she scratched it badly. One piece was silverplate and she scratched the silver right down to the base metal.

glamourmom

Post Sat, Oct 28 2017, 8:04 pm
flowerpower wrote:
It's actually a leichter. It was under $200. I did it at a silver store in Brooklyn. It's over 3 years since and still looks beautiful.

do you care to share the name of the store? I'd like to give it in this week.
I just polished my silver and let's just say it was not fun.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry