Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
How YouTube is Spreading Anti-Semitism -Ted Talks

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 6:43 pm
https://www.ted.com/talks/zeyn.....96420

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 7:41 pm
Can these algorithms pick up data from posts under my username or through my computer IP when I post as amother on imamother?

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 7:50 pm
No. But these algorithms can pick up your data off of FaceBook and YouTube.

Fox

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 7:55 pm
I'm afraid she is dramatically understating the problem, and the promotion of anti-Semitism is only one of a long list of problems.

Google has already acknowledged that they have developed AI systems that can write computer code both better and faster than human programmers. Peter Thiel has spoken about his concerns regarding AI, most recently at the FII conference in Ryadh, Saudi Arabia. It is a poorly-kept secret that many of Silicon Valley's elite thinkers are a lot more worried about AI than they let on.

The real fear underlying concern about AI is the fact that human input is increasingly less important in the development of AI. In other words, computers increasingly teach themselves, and we have no input into what they're teaching themselves. Moreover, they teach themselves so quickly that we can't keep up.

In the meantime, of course, companies like Facebook, Google, and YouTube use secret algorithms to determine how we see the world. This, to me, is actually a more immediate threat than pure anti-Semitism. Mark Zuckerberg's kiddush photos aside, technology overlords and those they employ are not particularly sympathetic to religion. They tend to see devout religious practice as a hindrance to human development rather than an aid. I believe that they have an enormous power to shape our hashkafos without our knowledge.

Though they can't always articulate the problem convincingly, people who avoid all social media and try to avoid Internet usage in general are not crazy. They understand at a fundamental level that Google is not our -- or anyone's -- friend.

While I do have a Facebook account for several specific purposes, I literally never "like" something and I don't post. But, of course, even that is closing the barn door after the horse has left. I recently noticed that several accounts I follow had been "shadow-banned" -- I no longer saw their posts. I made a few changes, such as prioritizing their posts -- basically to show Facebook that I'd noticed their absence. Within a week or so, they were mysteriously back, along with an account that I hadn't been following but which was similar in content to the shadow-banned ones.

My father, who is 88, and I were recently discussing Amazon's proposal to deliver packages inside our homes when we're not there. Everyone is horrified, of course, but he and I decided that eventually most of us will go along with it.

When it comes to technology, most of us are like the old joke in which a man asks a woman if she'll exchange intimacy for $1 million. With a small amount of thought, she agrees. He then admits he doesn't have $1 million, but offers $50. The woman is insulted, but the man replies, "We've already established what you are; now we're just negotiating price."

We've allowed Facebook, Google, Amazon, etc., access to our private-most lives. Anything from here on in is just negotiation over when and where.

Fox

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 8:03 pm
amother wrote:
Can these algorithms pick up data from posts under my username or through my computer IP when I post as amother on imamother?

If someone wanted to do that, it would ridiculously simple. The only thing that allows most of us any privacy at all is that we're happily giving them all the data they want, anyway.

Let's say that mining someone's posts on Imamother would result in the information that she's an Orthodox Jew living in the Northeast with five kids, a high school diploma and 30 hours of college credit, a job she hates, and a mediocre marriage. One of her kids has a learning disability and another is just a brat. She is more optimistic during the first two weeks of each month and profoundly unhappy the third week.

Well, they probably know all that from your Facebook account, your Google searches, and your spending habits. In fact, if you're a regular Target shopper, they can tell you that you're pregnant before a POAS test is accurate.

"We can't go back. We've come too far."

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 8:45 pm
Fox wrote:
While I do have a Facebook account for several specific purposes, I literally never "like" something and I don't post. But, of course, even that is closing the barn door after the horse has left.

I'm sorry to be dense, but would you mind to spell this out for me please?

I barely use FB, and never post anything that I wouldn't, say, publish. But the types of posts I like are either pro-Israel ones, because I feel those should be promoted, or pics of friends' kids (I don't post pics of my own kids).

What is the danger in this?

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 8:51 pm
Fox wrote:
If someone wanted to do that, it would ridiculously simple. The only thing that allows most of us any privacy at all is that we're happily giving them all the data they want, anyway.

Let's say that mining someone's posts on Imamother would result in the information that she's an Orthodox Jew living in the Northeast with five kids, a high school diploma and 30 hours of college credit, a job she hates, and a mediocre marriage. One of her kids has a learning disability and another is just a brat. She is more optimistic during the first two weeks of each month and profoundly unhappy the third week.

Well, they probably know all that from your Facebook account, your Google searches, and your spending habits. In fact, if you're a regular Target shopper, they can tell you that you're pregnant before a POAS test is accurate.

"We can't go back. We've come too far."

I remember seeing that. Crazy
https://www.forbes.com/sites/k.....56668

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 9:40 pm
Also, is duckduckgo a better alternative to google because it supposedly doesn't track your searches?

Fox

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 10:09 pm
amother wrote:
I barely use FB, and never post anything that I wouldn't, say, publish. But the types of posts I like are either pro-Israel ones, because I feel those should be promoted, or pics of friends' kids (I don't post pics of my own kids).

What is the danger in this?

There's no danger, per se. You're just giving away information about yourself to people who don't have your best interests at heart.

The fact is that virtually all of us do this. I started using Amazon when all they sold were books -- I even bought one of the first generation Kindles. I use them for so much stuff that sometimes UPS accidentally delivers everything on our section of the block to us -- because they just assume that anything from Amazon is for the Fox family. Amazon knows more about me than my DH, my parents, my kids, or my friends. In fact, they may know me better than I know myself.

I have willingly traded an enormous amount of privacy for the convenience of someone who knows how often we need toilet tissue and laundry detergent.

Liking stuff on Facebook, however, doesn't provide me with a quid pro quo -- I don't really get anything out of their data mining, so I try to minimize it. So it's not as much a matter of danger on the individual level -- just a little sobering to realize how much information is constantly, silently being collected and then utilized to persuade us.

Fox

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 10:16 pm
amother wrote:
Also, is duckduckgo a better alternative to google because it supposedly doesn't track your searches?

Possibly, or possibly not. The core software is proprietary, just like Google, so we have no way of knowing what information they're collecting or not collecting.

And that brings up an interesting issue: one of the big problems is transparency. On one hand, Google obviously isn't going to release their code -- that's their product. At the same time, there's no oversight whatsoever into what they're doing, and if what they're doing is the same as what they say they're doing.

This is one of the issues that always comes up when utility-style regulation is discussed for big tech.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 10:37 pm
Fox wrote:
There's no danger, per se. You're just giving away information about yourself to people who don't have your best interests at heart.

The fact is that virtually all of us do this. I started using Amazon when all they sold were books -- I even bought one of the first generation Kindles. I use them for so much stuff that sometimes UPS accidentally delivers everything on our section of the block to us -- because they just assume that anything from Amazon is for the Fox family. Amazon knows more about me than my DH, my parents, my kids, or my friends. In fact, they may know me better than I know myself.

I have willingly traded an enormous amount of privacy for the convenience of someone who knows how often we need toilet tissue and laundry detergent.

Liking stuff on Facebook, however, doesn't provide me with a quid pro quo -- I don't really get anything out of their data mining, so I try to minimize it. So it's not as much a matter of danger on the individual level -- just a little sobering to realize how much information is constantly, silently being collected and then utilized to persuade us.
]

Interesting, ok got it

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 10:42 pm
Fox wrote:
Possibly, or possibly not. The core software is proprietary, just like Google, so we have no way of knowing what information they're collecting or not collecting.

And that brings up an interesting issue: one of the big problems is transparency. On one hand, Google obviously isn't going to release their code -- that's their product. At the same time, there's no oversight whatsoever into what they're doing, and if what they're doing is the same as what they say they're doing.

This is one of the issues that always comes up when utility-style regulation is discussed for big tech.

I hear.

goodmorning

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 10:45 pm
Fox wrote:

But if you'd actually take their words on face value, here is their privacy policy:

Quote:

We don’t store your
personal information. Ever.

Our privacy policy is simple: we don’t collect
or share any of your personal information.

And here is a snippet of Google's:
Quote:

We and our partners use various technologies to collect and store information when you visit a Google service, and this may include using cookies or similar technologies to identify your browser or device. We also use these technologies to collect and store information when you interact with services we offer to our partners, such as advertising services or Google features that may appear on other sites. Our Google Analytics product helps businesses and site owners analyze the traffic to their websites and apps. When used in conjunction with our advertising services, such as those using the DoubleClick cookie, Google Analytics information is linked, by the Google Analytics customer or by Google, using Google technology, with information about visits to multiple sites.

Information we collect when you are signed in to Google, in addition to information we obtain about you from partners, may be associated with your Google Account. When information is associated with your Google Account, we treat it as personal information. For more information about how you can access, manage or delete information that is associated with your Google Account, visit the Transparency and choice section of this policy.

How we use information we collect

We use the information we collect from all of our services to provide, maintain, protect and improve them, to develop new ones, and to protect Google and our users. We also use this information to offer you tailored content – like giving you more relevant search results and ads.

We may use the name you provide for your Google Profile across all of the services we offer that require a Google Account. In addition, we may replace past names associated with your Google Account so that you are represented consistently across all our services. If other users already have your email, or other information that identifies you, we may show them your publicly visible Google Profile information, such as your name and photo.

If you have a Google Account, we may display your Profile name, Profile photo, and actions you take on Google or on third-party applications connected to your Google Account (such as +1’s, reviews you write and comments you post) in our services, including displaying in ads and other commercial contexts. We will respect the choices you make to limit sharing or visibility settings in your Google Account.

When you contact Google, we keep a record of your communication to help solve any issues you might be facing. We may use your email address to inform you about our services, such as letting you know about upcoming changes or improvements.

We use information collected from cookies and other technologies, like pixel tags, to improve your user experience and the overall quality of our services. One of the products we use to do this on our own services is Google Analytics. For example, by saving your language preferences, we’ll be able to have our services appear in the language you prefer. When showing you tailored ads, we will not associate an identifier from cookies or similar technologies with sensitive categories, such as those based on race, religion, s-xual orientation or health.

Our automated systems analyze your content (including emails) to provide you personally relevant product features, such as customized search results, tailored advertising, and spam and malware detection.

We may combine personal information from one service with information, including personal information, from other Google services – for example to make it easier to share things with people you know. Depending on your account settings, your activity on other sites and apps may be associated with your personal information in order to improve Google’s services and the ads delivered by Google.

We will ask for your consent before using information for a purpose other than those that are set out in this Privacy Policy.

Google processes personal information on our servers in many countries around the world. We may process your personal information on a server located outside the country where you live.

Sure, Duck Duck Go may be lying (but if so, I wouldn't envy them the legal and media storm if it would ever be discovered). It's unlikely that Google is collecting less data than they claim.

So if this is something that you care about, I'd go with the one that at least claims to not track you over the one that says straight-out that they do.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 10:54 pm
goodmorning wrote:
Sure, Duck Duck Go may be lying (but if so, I wouldn't envy them the legal and media storm if it would ever be discovered). It's unlikely that Google is collecting less data than they claim.

So if this is something that you care about, I'd go with the one that at least claims to not track you over the one that says straight-out that they do.

Thanks, that was a good idea, checking their privacy policies. Aside from what info they store about me, I also wonder to what extent search results are prioritized. I don't think I want search results ordered based on my searching history, or other people's.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics