Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
S/O why are some ppl hesitant to give out recipes?
Previous  1  2

watergirl

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 7:29 am
crust wrote:
Didnt read that thread.
I was once at a very small simcha which the hostess claimed she cooked with her ten fingers.

The one dish that really made me wonder was the soup. In every plate of vegetable soup there was a handfull of 1/4 inch diameter matzo balls. It was miniature, perfect and gusto.
The meal was gourmet. Every single dish. But nothing made me curious except for this one. I couldnt understand how she made it? She even said she made it that day!!

Whenever I asked her how she was able to make it so tiny and perfect with her hands she said no big deal.... regular kneidel recipe....
I tried it a few times it was gorgeous but never that minuature size!!

A few years later, I heard her saying where she catered that simcha... Perhaps she didnt realise I was at that table? Or she simply forgot to continue lying about it.

I’m not following this. What was the lie?

hannaxx

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 7:36 am
Knowing the hostess, would you expect her to be a perfectionist? Would you expect her to cater or home make the meal?

Perhaps it isnt necessary asking at all if was homemade if its visible??!?

naomi6

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 7:56 am
So many new recipes - the ones that don't give out theirs becomes outdated anyways

Raw

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 7:59 am
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
I am one of those weirdos who won't give out certain recipes. That's because I have a dream of one day writing a cookbook with recipes I've developed and I also want to go into catering/restaurants one day. Some of my recipes I view as an "invention" that needs to be patented. It's all about my dreams for a business

This is me as well. Most recipes I gladly share but I have a few that are my own and I may turn into parnassah one day. I always explain that’s why I won’t share those few recipes when I’m asked for them.
Do you think this is offensive or that I’ve got issues?

naomi6

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 8:28 am
I'm a major cook and baker love giving recipes. Ami Mishpacha Hamodia Yated have new recipes every week you can usually find recipes and figure out what you would like to know if someone snobs you

Jeanette

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 12:50 pm
oliveoil wrote:
Actually that's exactly a reason NOT to give it out.

Because then the person makes it and walks around telling everyone that it's your recipe, when actually it tastes a whole lot better when you make it.

NOTE: I do give out recipes, but I do feel frustrated when people label recipes as mine but they have butchered them.

If someone serves me a cake that's terrible and tells me it was Mrs. X's recipe, I don't blame Mrs. X.

How your cakes turn out depend on little details like how long you mixed it and in what order, how fresh your ingredients are, whether you actually followed directions, the temperature of your oven (and whether you took it out on time) etc. etc. etc. So many factors that have nothing to do with the origin of the recipe.

crust

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 12:59 pm
watergirl wrote:
I’m not following this. What was the lie?

Lie: I cooked everything myself.
Truth: I catered it.

I had no problem believing her that she cooked and was too naive then to think someone could even feel the need to lie about this.
Why she lied? No idea. It was 15 years ago so I was too young that she should feel I am her culinary competition...

Ruchel

Post Mon, Oct 30 2017, 5:49 am
I'd never pretend something is mine.

I'd never give a fake recipe (that's VILE). If you're making your cookbook I see why you won't give a recipe. If not, you're thinking too much into it.

UnFarvosNischt

Post Mon, Oct 30 2017, 7:25 am
I have a friend like this. She always ask for recipes but she will never get her recipes...
Too bad for her and for my appetite Rolling Eyes

I personally love giving recipes. Some recipes even got my name on (Unfarvosnischt's pizza recipe etc lol).
I also learnt once that if you are saying a vort/dvar torah or something and you actually quote the person who said it (instead of saying it's your vort/dvar torah), you are being mekarev the Geula.
So I try to do it every time I give a recipe by saying where I found this recipe (most of the time on a blog or something). Not as great as a real dvar torah but still Tongue Out
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics