Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
ISO HANDWRITING OT - LAKEWOOD, NJ

INSPIREME

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 6:49 am
I am looking for an OT that specializes in handwriting in Lakewood, NJ. Any leads?
TIA

macadamia

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 7:35 am
No. Just my 2 cents get someone who is top of the line to see good results. I did not have proper help and have horrible handriting till today and it bothers me . Also its like a burden for me to write in english. Its like a muscle work oil t. I dont enjoy. Type writing is better for me. . I am a lefty. I saw a lefty writing with book slant y and tryed and I see it help to be less a burden in englsh but its kind of too late for me to change the habit or maybe not? I think it pays to. Get the best. Maybe ask school principals of every school even goysh in your area.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 8:01 am
Ruchie Cohen has OT's that do this.

INSPIREME

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 7:18 pm
Bump - anyone else have any other leads? TIA

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 9:53 pm
macadamia wrote:
No. Just my 2 cents get someone who is top of the line to see good results. I did not have proper help and have horrible handriting till today and it bothers me . Also its like a burden for me to write in english. Its like a muscle work oil t. I dont enjoy. Type writing is better for me. . I am a lefty. I saw a lefty writing with book slant y and tryed and I see it help to be less a burden in englsh but its kind of too late for me to change the habit or maybe not? I think it pays to. Get the best. Maybe ask school principals of every school even goysh in your area.
everyone has different experiences, because I also have bad handwriting and hate writing by hand and do whatever I could to avoid it.... but I did go to a handwriting OT as a kid for a few years...

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 12:35 am
I am a school based OT. I wouldnt say that I am an expert in handwriting but from my years of experience I highly recommend u look into handwriting without tears- it is a method of teaching writing, that stresses grouping letters together by form. For example, c turns into a, d,g,o, q etc. I see excellent results. But bottom line, some kids have better handwriting than others. I think u should look for someone who is able to make the letters legible, spaced and correctly formed.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 9:05 am
What Aquamarine said. FTR I sent my DD to an OT for handwriting and other fine motor skills (like using scissors to cut on the line, etc...). She does not now have a beautiful handwriting and she will probably always dislike writing (for example, she complains that her Chumash test was so "hard" though she knew the answers cold, because she had to write them!) but after a year of OT, she is capable of writing legibly, spacing and forming letters with uniform size, etc....

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 9:27 pm
Chayalle wrote:
What Aquamarine said. FTR I sent my DD to an OT for handwriting and other fine motor skills (like using scissors to cut on the line, etc...). She does not now have a beautiful handwriting and she will probably always dislike writing (for example, she complains that her Chumash test was so "hard" though she knew the answers cold, because she had to write them!) but after a year of OT, she is capable of writing legibly, spacing and forming letters with uniform size, etc....

do you mind sharing which OT is good for handwriting help? My dd has been going for OT for years and yet her handwriting is barely legible. The hardest part of any test is that she has to write the answers! She is only in 4th grade ... how can she go through the rest of her school years like this? She will have to write in order to succeed in school. When you look at her school papers you would think that a 3 yr old tried to write and wasn't good at it at all. At this point, we just need someone who can help with handwriting.

If anyone has any ideas... thanks!

Chayalle

Post Mon, Oct 30 2017, 11:06 am
My DD is also in 4th grade...she went to Risha Portowicz - works for Ruchie Cohn. She definitely made a huge difference for DD, though as I posted, it's not like DD has a neat and gorgeous handwriting now. But definitely more legible.

Don't despair. I've also seen improvement with age in my kids' handwriting.

We are moving so going thru and throwing out lots of old stuff. My oldest was telling me that she also had an awful handwriting in grade school, though by high school she had quite nice notes. I was looking at some of her writing and it's true. I forgot how much she struggled as well, and she improved on her own without OT.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Oct 30 2017, 11:17 am
Hi, I want to add that my son struggled with this for years, has incredibly weak hands, everything is hard for him, opening a cereal box, pouring a drink, forget writing... He's had OT for hand strengthening, helped a drop, but not enough to make classwork and test taking easier.

Here's what finally helped: a developmental psychologist did comprehensive testing, and discovered that my son has dysgraphia, which is basically dyslexia of the hands. Her advice was to stop pushing him to write neatly, but instead to have compassion and help him learn in all sorts of ways that do not use traditional handwriting skills. Like talking into a recording device to give answered on a test, etc. Her best advice was to stop using our OT to help him with handwriting, but to instead use her to teach him to type, which is surprises easier for these types of kids! He is using a laptop or iPad at school now, and he loves it, so freeing for him. His OT is also helping with with life skills involving hands, like folding clothes, table skills, etc.

Good luck!

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Oct 30 2017, 12:00 pm
amother wrote:
Hi, I want to add that my son struggled with this for years, has incredibly weak hands, everything is hard for him, opening a cereal box, pouring a drink, forget writing... He's had OT for hand strengthening, helped a drop, but not enough to make classwork and test taking easier.

Here's what finally helped: a developmental psychologist did comprehensive testing, and discovered that my son has dysgraphia, which is basically dyslexia of the hands. Her advice was to stop pushing him to write neatly, but instead to have compassion and help him learn in all sorts of ways that do not use traditional handwriting skills. Like talking into a recording device to give answered on a test, etc. Her best advice was to stop using our OT to help him with handwriting, but to instead use her to teach him to type, which is surprises easier for these types of kids! He is using a laptop or iPad at school now, and he loves it, so freeing for him. His OT is also helping with with life skills involving hands, like folding clothes, table skills, etc.

Good luck!

that's very interesting because I also just decided to stop OT after so many years. It was barely making a difference anyway. Dysgraphia is just a fancy name for poor handwriting and very often kids with dysgraphia also have dyslexia. I have also tried to get someone to write my DD's answers for her on tests however she is VERY self conscious and does not want to be singled out in front of her class. She is embarrassed that she struggles and tries to cover up for it. Having her tests taken in a different form would single her out. She does not want to go thru the rest of her school yrs like this (4th grade now) so I am still hoping there is something to do to help the handwriting issue instead of working around it. Typing is a great idea but I think she is still too young to master typing - I tried to show her the keyboard and it was very frustrating for both of us. Maybe when she is a bit older.

If anyone knows someone who masters in handwriting help .....

real israeli

Post Mon, Oct 30 2017, 12:09 pm
amother wrote:
that's very interesting because I also just decided to stop OT after so many years. It was barely making a difference anyway. Dysgraphia is just a fancy name for poor handwriting and very often kids with dysgraphia also have dyslexia. I have also tried to get someone to write my DD's answers for her on tests however she is VERY self conscious and does not want to be singled out in front of her class. She is embarrassed that she struggles and tries to cover up for it. Having her tests taken in a different form would single her out. She does not want to go thru the rest of her school yrs like this (4th grade now) so I am still hoping there is something to do to help the handwriting issue instead of working around it. Typing is a great idea but I think she is still too young to master typing - I tried to show her the keyboard and it was very frustrating for both of us. Maybe when she is a bit older.

I'm sorry for your predicament and unfortunately don't have advice regarding the handwriting but I wanted to mention that in fourth grade my parents bought me "mavis beacon teaches typing" - this was over 15 years ago - and I taught myself to type with it. It's a wonderful program. Maybe look into it if you feel it will help your daughter.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Oct 30 2017, 1:49 pm
amother wrote:

Dysgraphia is actually a disorder of the brain connection between sight and hands, my son has many vision issues as well, even though his eye sight is very good. His OT does a lot of ocular motor excersizes with him, too. (At least this was how it was explained to me by the developmental pediatrician.)

My son is only a year older than your daughter...why not just try to find an OT trained in helping kids with weak hand coordination learn to type? He really loves typing in class. In afew years she'll be taking notes...then what? Typing is a skill tgat will be a good long term investment. Would it help her if you arranged to have an aid discreetly take her out for typing or speaking tests? And for written homework certainly you or an older sibling can write down or type the answers.

And as for feeling different, I hear you on that, it's really hard to help th.when they're too embarrassed to accept help...we bought my son large print sefarim for his vision issues, but he refuses to use them...go figure : (
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children