Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Welcome bags for guests

ruchelbuckle

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 9:29 am
What would you put in a welcome bag for out of town guests?

map
schedule
bottle of water?
food: what kind? want to put in food that is kid friendly and not crumbly.
what else?

The simcha will be on a very short shabbos--- by the time the daytime meal is finished, it will be time to daven mincha. So lots of nosh for shabbos day isn't necessary.

nw11

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 9:49 am
I wouldn't get too busy with the food but chocolates/candy and nuts are always welcome and don't make a mess. Water is a must, IMO. I appreciate a rain hat as I rarely remember to pack one. Some people include a candle lighting kit which I don't think is necessary unless your guests are staying in a hotel. In the booklet you might want to include phone numbers of mikvas, Rabbanim and car services. A small pack of tissues is also very welcome.

Eemaof3

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 10:59 am
Include pareve snacks too. Water for certain. Trail mix can be nice as well as granola bars and dried fruits. I try for a mix of healthier and junkier. Snacks can travel well on their way back home too.

thanks

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 11:12 am
Mint candies are nice. (I once put in a travel mouthwash.)
tealights

animeme

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 11:48 am
Please do not send nuts. Dried fruit is nice. A tissue packet, too. Most kid friendly things are crumbly. Maybe some juice boxes.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 12:08 pm
I never got those, nor do I give them. My contribution when hosting is hosting, and when hosted I'm grateful

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Oct 30 2017, 4:38 am
Include nos of Dr, Dentist and Hatzolo - and overseas guests should know local emergency no (911 in the US isn't the same as whatever you need in Israel etc)

smileyfaces

Post Mon, Oct 30 2017, 8:04 am
I would send packaged brownie/bar or pretzels. I know it’s crumbly and can be messier but I like something shabbos morning before shul and lunch. I can’t wait until 12:00 to eat.

cm

Post Mon, Oct 30 2017, 9:38 am
As a host, I always provide breakfast and snacks for overnight guests, and as a guest have always received breakfast from the host. The guest-bag snacks are symbolic of hospitality but hardly necessary, unless the guests are being housed in a hotel or vacant apartment.

When hosting, I try to make guests feel comfortable (as much as you can "make" anyone feel anything) in the house so they don't feel the need to hide in the room and eat. And I request, politely, that they enjoy their snacks at the dining table, where I also have coffee and breakfast things ready. Best to avoid nuts, as many people (perhaps the host families) are allergic.

No need for tea lights unless the guests are going to a hotel or vacant home and there isn't a central location for candle lighting at the dinner. A map is an absolute must along with your itinerary, preferably including all event locations, parks (for long afternoons) and the eruv boundaries, if applicable. Better to spend your time and energy on that. It is a nice touch to include the hosts' names and address for each guest if not provided ahead of time - it can be hard to remember names at first and it helps to have the contact info at hand for sending thank you notes and so on.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Oct 30 2017, 3:01 pm
See, I'd rather not to be told where to eat like a child, and not get a map (I organize msyelf when I travel) or addresses of various stuff. I also much prefer not having to feel like you're unhappy I go in my room. I'm very much a don't bother me and I won't bother you LOL
I'd never tell my guest not to eat nuts and where to eat. Even if it means (normal) clean up.

oliveoil

Post Mon, Oct 30 2017, 3:35 pm
Ruchel wrote:
See, I'd rather ... not get a map (I organize msyelf when I travel) or addresses of various stuff.

Why would you rather not get a map? You can ignore it and do your own thing, of course. But it certainly helps the Baalei Simcha not answer the same question multiple times if everyone has a list of the addresses where each part of the event is (for example: friday night sheva brachot, shul, kiddush, shabbos day sheva brachot etc. - these can all be in different locations) and a map of the area so they can find their way around.

smileyfaces

Post Mon, Oct 30 2017, 4:07 pm
Ruchel wrote:
See, I'd rather not to be told where to eat like a child, and not get a map (I organize msyelf when I travel) or addresses of various stuff. I also much prefer not having to feel like you're unhappy I go in my room. I'm very much a don't bother me and I won't bother you LOL
I'd never tell my guest not to eat nuts and where to eat. Even if it means (normal) clean up.

Ya I kind of think it’s odd to tell your guests not to eat in the room. Do you tell them not to wear shoes on the beds? You hope your guests are mench and tidy up after themselves.
What if someone is pregnant and needs to eat in middle of the night, do they need to go upstairs at 3am?
As a host there are times when a guest may leave a mess, etc and it’s a risk you take when agreeing to host company.

Cookiegirl

Post Mon, Oct 30 2017, 8:59 pm
In addition to water bottles, packet of tissues, rainbonnet (or sometimes a disposable rain poncho if forecast is bad) I always include a few safety pins and bobby pins in a little bag, a small/travel pack of Tylenol/Advil or similar, a small roll of antacid, and Listerine strips or small mouthwash. It's also nice to get a Jewish newspaper or magazine, but that can get pricey depending on the number of gift bags you need, (and what is available in your area).

Ruchel

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 10:39 am
oliveoil wrote:
Why would you rather not get a map? You can ignore it and do your own thing, of course. But it certainly helps the Baalei Simcha not answer the same question multiple times if everyone has a list of the addresses where each part of the event is (for example: friday night sheva brachot, shul, kiddush, shabbos day sheva brachot etc. - these can all be in different locations) and a map of the area so they can find their way around.

You cut my sentence so no: I would rather not get a map than be ordered around.

But of course you need addresses of where the simcha is. Actually I want that on the invite, before I go. I won't go if I don't even know where. But local restaurants or whatever? There's google and self organization.

Also don't people bring their candy, meds, rainbonnet (rofl) and buy their paper?? Or can't people handle themselves anymore lol. I have been invited in many countries and never saw or wanted... I'd rather my freedom and my stuff Smile I guess I do appreciate if there are candies or nosh for my kids..

Cookiegirl

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 11:49 am
The point of the gift bag (IMO) is to include thoughtful items that your guest might need or enjoy, but might not have thought to bring along...

Having been in the hospitality business, and BH made quite a few simchos with dozens of out of town family members myself, as well has participating at those family members' events, I have seen gift bags in all ranges (and many that are way over the top, as well).

For those people who are well organized and independent, perhaps not all items are needed but at 2am when you have a splitting headache from the endless speeches, the extra Tylenol is appreciated...

Ruchel

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 2:01 pm
I don't even consider myself so organized. I don't remember the last time I didn't have what I needed on a trip, and BH we travel a lot, invited or not.

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 3:46 pm
smileyfaces wrote:
Ya I kind of think it’s odd to tell your guests not to eat in the room. Do you tell them not to wear shoes on the beds? You hope your guests are mench and tidy up after themselves.
What if someone is pregnant and needs to eat in middle of the night, do they need to go upstairs at 3am?
As a host there are times when a guest may leave a mess, etc and it’s a risk you take when agreeing to host company.

Ha! I recently found out that my mother in law goes through the hospitality bags and takes out any food except for water bottles if someone is staying in her home to ensure that no one eats upstairs or anywhere that is not in the kitchen or dining room.

oliveoil

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 5:54 pm
amother wrote:
Ha! I recently found out that my mother in law goes through the hospitality bags and takes out any food except for water bottles if someone is staying in her home to ensure that no one eats upstairs or anywhere that is not in the kitchen or dining room.

I know people who do this too.

Especially for people who host a lot, food in the rooms can really become an issue.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 6:16 pm
Ruchel wrote:
I don't even consider myself so organized. I don't remember the last time I didn't have what I needed on a trip, and BH we travel a lot, invited or not.

I'm relatively well organized, and still inevitably need to run to the drugstore to pick up something for someone.

I do think that its nice to have a list of addresses and directions. Sure, I may know that the shul is 4 blocks south, 2 blocks west, but I don't know that there's no sidewalk on Maple Street, so you're better off walking on Pine, then crossing over right before the shul. And I don't know that the mikvah doesn't require appointments Friday night, but you need to be there by 8. Or that most kids go to the playground on Main Street on Shabbat afternoon, not the one on Market.

Its also helpful to provide a few little things that people often forget, or may not realize that they may need. A small sewing kit, or a couple of safety pins (in case you didn't notice that a button was missing from your son's shirt, or that your daughter's hem was falling). A rubber band or 2. That kind of thing.

None of its necessary, but its nice.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 4:35 am
As youth I would forget, or even as a new parent. Now, nah Smile
I always considered it on me anyway. I forget, I go.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics