Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Why are people here obsessed with anon posters?
Previous  1  2

essie14

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 10:53 am
I only go anon when details of one post combined with details of another post will give me away. Like anything specific to the city I live in.

watergirl

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 11:15 am
amother wrote:
how's it a cover? Admin can identify the screen name of each anonymous poster.

Not so easily. Yael has said before that its not so simple. They only do it if they must.

water_bear88

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 11:38 am
essie14 wrote:
I only go anon when details of one post combined with details of another post will give me away. Like anything specific to the city I live in.

This. Maybe there are tons of English-speaking frum women in NY/NJ, but let's be realistic- I know most of the English-speakers in my community and could pretty easily guess whose a screen name is if I know someone lives where I do and how old her kids are. I assume the same holds for many smaller places in the US and Europe. Maybe the recipes are a little extreme, but even then not always- say I post exactly what I'm putting in Mishloach Manot, and what shul I attend, isn't it obvious who I am?

watergirl

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 11:41 am
water_bear88 wrote:
This. Maybe there are tons of English-speaking frum women in NY/NJ, but let's be realistic- I know most of the English-speakers in my community and could pretty easily guess whose a screen name is if I know someone lives where I do and how old her kids are. I assume the same holds for many smaller places in the US and Europe. Maybe the recipes are a little extreme, but even then not always- say I post exactly what I'm putting in Mishloach Manot, and what shul I attend, isn't it obvious who I am?

Yes, then it would be obvious. But why include all of those details? Why would you name your shul? I change my kids genders all the time, and their ages. I never get so specific about my shul unless someone here asks about shuls in my city, in which case an anon reply would be warrented.

water_bear88

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 11:56 am
watergirl wrote:
Yes, then it would be obvious. But why include all of those details? Why would you name your shul? I change my kids genders all the time, and their ages. I never get so specific about my shul unless someone here asks about shuls in my city, in which case an anon reply would be warrented.

So maybe not the name of the shul, but enough details about the megillah reading I attended to narrow it down to one or two shuls. I really try not to post anything more personal than political opinions here because a few details add up quickly.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics