Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Bklyn—Bklyn Ave and New York/Nostrand

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 11:56 am
I have to go to an address on Brooklyn Avenue between New York and Nostrand, 2 or 5 train to Nostrand/Newkirk. What kind of neighborhood is this as far as ethnicity, crime, crowds etc? I’m going alone during the day and may be shlepping stuff. TIA.

PS I know there’s no such thing as a safe neighborhood and you have to keep your wits about you wherever you go, but in some places you need to wear your steel toe boots because you’ll be stepping over dead rats and dirty needles, and in some you won’t.

simba

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 12:04 pm
It's right in crown heights. You don't need to wear steel toe shoes!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 12:06 pm
I knew the guy was selling me a bridge. He claimed it was Flatbush.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 12:08 pm
It's not crown heights, it's east Flatbush. Not the greatest area to be honest
It's near Brooklyn college. But Brooklyn ave is parallel to new York/nostrand.

simba

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 12:12 pm
amother wrote:
It's not crown heights, it's east Flatbush. Not the greatest area to be honest
It's near Brooklyn college. But Brooklyn ave is parallel to new York/nostrand.

I stand corrected. It is further out then Crown Heights.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 12:27 pm
Amother brown, that’s what I was afraid of. how “not the greatest” is it?

nicole81

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 12:29 pm
amother wrote:
Amother brown, that’s what I was afraid of. how “not the greatest” is it?

It's fine, especially in broad daylight. I've worked in numerous neighborhoods throughout the city and East Flatbush is far nicer and safer than many of them.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 12:47 pm
How about that housing project called Flatbush Gardens? From the Yelp! website it looks like exactly what I thought it would be: a filthy slum riddled with vermin, staffed by the hostile and inhabited by the unpleasant. Would you say that’s a fairly accurate description? I get the idea I’ll need not just steel toes but a can of Mace and a gallon of Purell.

nicole81

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 12:53 pm
amother wrote:
How about that housing project called Flatbush Gardens? From the Yelp! website it looks like exactly what I thought it would be: a filthy slum riddled with vermin, staffed by the hostile and inhabited by the unpleasant. Would you say that’s a fairly accurate description? I get the idea I’ll need not just steel toes but a can of Mace and a gallon of Purell.

Are you going into the projects? Living there? If not, then that review is irrelevant. Do whatever you want and bring whatever you feel necessary. But by and large, east flatbush is just a normal residential neighborhood where the majority of residents probably just look differently than what you're used to seeing.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 1:13 pm
There is no Brooklyn btw NY and Nostrand. The three run parallel. East Flatbush is a fine area. Wouldn't necessarily want to do a lot of walking there at night, but day time and early evening are totally fine and comfortable.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 1:49 pm
Yes, nicole81, I’m going into the building on a work assignment of undetermined length, starting with the basement and working my way up. Why else would I care?

nicole81

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 3:05 pm
amother wrote:
Yes, nicole81, I’m going into the building on a work assignment of undetermined length, starting with the basement and working my way up. Why else would I care?

Honestly, from your posts with a nonexistent intersection and the questions, it just seemed that you weren't from Brooklyn and could have come up with flatbush gardens from a random google search on the area.

Housing projects can be pretty gross no matter where they are-- especially the basements. Don't put your personal belongings on the floor for one, as you don't want any roaches or bedbugs hitching a ride home with you. While the overall area is generally fine during the day, I can't speak to the safety within the housing complex. Like I said before I've worked in plenty of worse areas in the city, but I'd actually be wary of hanging around housing projects (I don't believe FG is officially a project but it used to be and from what I hear, it's pretty similar now.)

amother
Green

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 3:20 pm
The neighborhood should be fine for daytime work assignments. I know some people who work at the public school on Nostrand and they have no issues with the location. If your assignment is in fact at Flatbush Gardens, the complex is generally safe and is well-staffed with security and management personnel.

Cmon be nice

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 3:59 pm
amother wrote:
I knew the guy was selling me a bridge. He claimed it was Flatbush.

From the fact that he said Flatbush I personally wouldn't be to worried. Its close enough that he may not know the exact neighborhood as there arr many, but what does worry me is who is this guy who wants you to go to the projects while shleeping stuff? A white jewish women may kinda nervous.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries