Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Los Angeles ideas
Previous  1  2

amother
White

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 9:24 pm
As far as shuls, are they all over? anything near Malibu? Or is there a specific area we have to stay close to if my DH needs shachris with a minyan?

amother
White

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 9:31 pm
I studied the map alot.
Am I right that most the kosher restaurants people listed are in pico-robertson? Are there restaurants in other areas (I hope to get around) besides Fish grill in Malibu and Tierra Sur in Herzog?

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 9:38 pm
amother wrote:
I studied the map alot.
Am I right that most the kosher restaurants people listed are in pico-robertson? Are there restaurants in other areas (I hope to get around) besides Fish grill in Malibu and Tierra Sur in Herzog?

Most are in Pico Robertson or Beverly Hills. There are a few in the la brea area and some in the San Fernando Valley

Amarante

Post Fri, Nov 03 2017, 6:18 am
The frum community is centered around Pico-Robertson/Hancock Park with some outlying areas in the Valley.

Depending on how far up the coast you go, Malibu isn't very far from Santa Monica. If you contact Chabad, they would probably be able to tell you more specifics in terms of minyans in different areas.

Surprised that no one hasn't mentioned Got Kosher. It's got divine pretzel challah, French Tunisian Moroccan inspired food plus a BBQ every Sunday.

For food so that you aren't tied down to the Pico/Robertson area, I would suggest investing in a cooler and packing lunch or snacks. Depending on where you are staying, you could have a hearty breakfast/brunch and then dinner by circling back. Or if you want to make it a whole day trip, pick up substantial take out from Got Kosher or one of the other stores in the Pico Robertson area and, of course, any supermarket should have food that could work in a pinch.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Nov 03 2017, 6:21 am
Good luck! I loved LA, went twice. Rent a car or do uber. You can do bus but meh.

monseymother

Post Fri, Nov 03 2017, 6:32 am
Are there any restaurants that are open for prepaid shabbos meals, or any kosher hotel to stay at for shabbos in the vicinity?

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, Nov 03 2017, 10:49 am
monseymother wrote:
Are there any restaurants that are open for prepaid shabbos meals, or any kosher hotel to stay at for shabbos in the vicinity?

I don’t think so

Amarante

Post Fri, Nov 03 2017, 10:52 am
monseymother wrote:

There are several hotels in the Pico/Robertson area that are very familiar with the needs of the frum even if they aren't kosher - if you mean kosher literally in terms of room service etc., there aren't any.

Many of the restaurants/grocery stores have take out so you could get Shabbat meal to go or delivered to your hotel. For Saturday you would obviously have to rely on cold food.

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, Nov 03 2017, 10:56 am
Malibu itself may have a Chabad but that’s it. But there’s kosher Fish Grill so you have food. Otherwise there are plenty of Shuls in Pico area and Hancock park area as well as the Valley. Most attractions like universal studios etc are not too far from the frum areas (by car)

amother
White

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 12:20 pm
amother wrote:
There are some really nice scenic routes to take hikes or you can try mountain climbing
Whale watching or boating in Newport beach, you can find some deals in groupon.
Universal studios
San diego, seaworld is a 2 hour drive.

I am trying to find whale watching options. Newport Beach seems pretty far from LA, like 1.5 hours
Does anyone have experience with whale watching around there? Anything closer or tried and true?

mommyofboys

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 1:57 am
amother wrote:
I am trying to find whale watching options. Newport Beach seems pretty far from LA, like 1.5 hours
Does anyone have experience with whale watching around there? Anything closer or tried and true?

We went whale watching from Long Beach. it's near the Aquarium of the Pacific
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics