Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Should I continue cooking supper?

solo

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 9:39 pm
My husband is often home late and always prefers to buy food (im not a horrible cook)
My 7 yr old has mild autism and crazy food aversions so mostly eats grilled cheese or crackers or pb&j
My 5 yr old doesn’t like starch and most veg. So she usually has a bite or 2 of the main dish, says she’s full and then later complains she’s hungry but won’t eat reheated food so she’ll have a fruit or a cucumber or if she sees her older brother eating a Sammy...
My 3 yr old won’t eat protein and most starch besides bread and crackers. So he’ll have a few bite of the veg side then insist he’s full. Later he’ll say he’s hungry so he’ll eat an orange banana or avocado.
My baby insists on feeding herself so basically a huge mess and very little in her belly...
I used to say no food after supper. But my kids r getting bigger, staying up later and are legit hungry. So now I offer a fruit or veg. And a Sammy to my oldest after the Little’s r sleeping.
But why do I cook? Most of my time effort and money goes in the trash every night. Never mind the Baal tashchis.
Could just make Sandwitcges every night. No one would mind. I’d have a clean kitchen and more time for other things. And less waste. But it just feels wrong. Tell me what to do

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 9:43 pm
Stop cooking, except for yourself. Make sure you have lots of fruit and salad vegetables available and I think you're good.

Then (and this might be the hard part) accept your decision and don't feel guilty.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 9:46 pm
It would be nice if your kids saw you and dh sit down to a proper supper even if they eat sandwiches because it will broaden their minds and palates eventually. It's a shame that can't happen.
Cook for yourself. One pan chicken, veg, potatoes one roasted portion. Eat by yourself. Don't offer your food. Give them only sandwiches. Let them watch you eat your own thing. It will open their minds.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Nov 03 2017, 9:05 am
I hope you have Shabbos meals as a family!

During the week... right now maybe just make dinner for yourself. But rethink this as soon as the baby gets older. There's value in a family eating together beyond the food. It helps their social development.

mommy201

Post Fri, Nov 03 2017, 9:27 am
Someone told me about the book " Child of Mine" by Ellyn Satter regarding kids food habits. Supposed to be amazing.
Godd luck!

yogabird

Post Fri, Nov 03 2017, 9:42 am
mommy201 wrote:
Someone told me about the book " Child of Mine" by Ellyn Satter regarding kids food habits. Supposed to be amazing.
Godd luck!

Ellyn Satter's methods are great for "regular" picky eater but I doubt they'll work for kids on the spectrum.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics