Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Best sleep training method?

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Oct 19 2017, 11:28 am
I'm looking for your experience with a sleep training method.
My son is 4.5 months old and has no proper schedule and it's starting to get hard for me. Also he only catnaps.
What worked for you?

poledra

Post Thu, Oct 19 2017, 11:58 am
Read the DR Weissbluth book "healthy sleep habits, happy child". He has multiple sleep methods in there (not all cry it out)

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Oct 19 2017, 12:07 pm
amother wrote:
I'm looking for your experience with a sleep training method.
My son is 4.5 months old and has no proper schedule and it's starting to get hard for me. Also he only catnaps.
What worked for you?

My baby is exactly that age, sleeps through the night (11 hours) and has scheduled feeds and naps by day, more or less, the book is called''sleep 12 hours by 12 weeks'' you can get it on amazon its easy method

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Oct 19 2017, 2:14 pm
amother wrote:
My baby is exactly that age, sleeps through the night (11 hours) and has scheduled feeds and naps by day, more or less, the book is called''sleep 12 hours by 12 weeks'' you can get it on amazon its easy method

How did you get your baby to eat every 4 hours? I can't stretch my baby who is 12 weeks old now.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Oct 19 2017, 2:22 pm
amother wrote:
How did you get your baby to eat every 4 hours? I can't stretch my baby who is 12 weeks old now.

did you read the book?it tells you how to slowly stretch it bit by bit, even 5-10 min longer at a time

amother
Pewter

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 12:44 pm
We also used Weissbluth's book (Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child), started around 4 months old. Worked amazing!

allthingsblue

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 9:41 pm
amother wrote:
We also used Weissbluth's book (Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child), started around 4 months old. Worked amazing!

Can you remind me what I'm suppos d to do at this age?

agreer

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 10:54 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Can you remind me what I'm suppos d to do at this age?

Put your child in the crib. Leave the room.

amother
Puce

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 10:55 pm
amother wrote:
did you read the book?it tells you how to slowly stretch it bit by bit, even 5-10 min longer at a time

Yes, I read the book. I am having trouble with getting him to stretch. Distractions don't work and I don't like him crying for food.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 2:33 am
amother wrote:

Trying to remember. . . Some of it has to do with recognizing your baby's sleep cues and getting them to bed before they are over tired. Some of it has to do with good sleep hygiene (sleeping only in crib etc). Some of it has to do with how often and how long they should be sleeping for at various ages (a schedule). The rest is cry it out (but not more than 10-15 of crying at this age maybe?). You are better off actually reading the book, because I don't remember the details very well.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 10:44 pm
Thanks all! I bought these books. Here's hoping...

trixx

Post Wed, Oct 25 2017, 12:02 am
The baby whisperer answers all your questions

Gentle, clear and it works!

NewbeeMom

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 2:08 pm
I tried sleep training my baby, only to be disrupted by yom tov...
Baby is 10 months old. Is it too late to try again?

nw11

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 2:11 pm
I've done it around that age. I followed Gina Ford's method in a more relaxed way than how she sets it out...

NewbeeMom

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 2:14 pm
What's the Gina Ford method? I never heard of it...

nw11

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 2:20 pm
I don't actually have the book, a friend helped me with it. It's a British book that basically encourages the mother to let your baby sleep enough during the day that he is not overtired, but little enough that he can sleep through the night. An important part of the method is getting your baby to eat the right amount during the day. I don't know how other methods work, but when I used this method (granted, the last baby was around 8 weeks and my earlier memories are more hazy) it was one nightmarish week, followed by bliss.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics