Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
My baby needs glasses

amother
Orchid

Post Sat, Nov 04 2017, 11:42 pm
Just found out my 2 year old needs glassses. I know it’s for the best we found out but I feel so sad for her. She is farsighted and that is causing a mild cross eye. Doctor said she’ll need to wear glasses for 10 years if not more!
Dr said best to get these ugly plastic glasses that won’t break and are great for this age.... feeling bleh
Also,do they really stay on a toddler for more than 30 sec?

Kiwi13

Post Sat, Nov 04 2017, 11:50 pm
There are Baby/Toddler glasses with curled earpieces that wrap around to stay on better. My sister and I both wore glasses from baby/toddlerhood. (After surgery for strabismus). Not a big deal, just a little inconvenient for the parents. She’ll get used to them. And when she gets a bit older she’ll probably enjoy picking out new frames every so often. :-)

Kiwi13

Post Sat, Nov 04 2017, 11:51 pm
Also, make sure to buy flex-hinge ones because they’re more durable.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 12:10 am
You do not need to buy the plastic wrap around glasses! Try regular glasses with stay puts.

petiteruchy

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 12:14 am
The miraflex brand are very durable and comfortable. They come in a range of colors and my dd got a huge kick out of picking her favorite. She wore those for a few years and now she's in a "big kid" frame. I can't remember the brand but they were expensive and the color hasn't held up, although they fit her well. She has to have bifocals now (she's five) and she looks a little goofy but adorable.

I miss her little face without glasses, but she's awfully cute with them too. I just try to remember to be thankful she's going to have good vision in the end, and won't need surgery. It's a little hard to get used to, I know.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 12:20 am
Little kids look adorable in glasses. Don't worry about it.

happyone

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 12:30 am
My son got glasses at 8 months. I've tried them all. MIRIFLEX is the best way to go. He looks adorable btw.

smilealot

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 4:12 am
They actually don't make the curled behind the ear ones anymore.
They do make them with straps that go behind the head.
For 2 year olds you can get all sort of adorable ones.
I also found it challenging at first to put glasses on a child so young but you get used to it.

Stars

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 6:54 am
My baby got glasses before a year old. At two we switched from miraflex to regular glasses but if you're just starting out I suggest miraflex all the way. If you're on Facebook join the group little four eyes, they've been extremely helpful.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 8:44 am
Yes, the doctor said miraflex and polycarbonate lenses. At what age do they realize other kids don’t have glasses and start to resist.... I’m scared she’ll feel bad one day in school. What do I say to her?

deams

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 9:14 am
I find that if you don't make a big deal then they will be fine. I have 3 kids in glasses from a very young age. Kids don't normally make fun of kids in glasses. They usually want them. I have found that it's adults that make the comments while the child is with you.

Beingreal

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 9:23 am
My son needed glasses at a young age...we told him they are his cool blue glasses!

cholenteater

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 9:24 am
You don't need to get a rubbery looking frame if you don't want to. My child got glasses at 2.5 I got regular plastic frames and they heated up the ends and bent then all the way down, so it stayed put.

cholenteater

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 9:26 am
deams wrote:
I find that if you don't make a big deal then they will be fine. I have 3 kids in glasses from a very young age. Kids don't normally make fun of kids in glasses. They usually want them. I have found that it's adults that make the comments while the child is with you.

This.
My child is proud of wearing glasses and loves picking out new frames!

Stars

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 11:02 am
Glasses are really cool. My kid is the only one in his kindergarten with glasses and he's so proud of that fact.

lettuceeat

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 1:54 pm
Hi. My now 19 year old has been wearing glasses for 17 1/2 years.
Accomodatice esotropia and amblyopia or however it is spelled.
He started at 20 months and needed them earlier, yet regular physicians never picked up on his special needs etc.
He is still wearing glasses and that is fine with us.
He wore a stretchy plastic strap around them at a young age so that he could not pull them off etc.
Difficult, but we made it. Whew!!!!
Hatzlachoh rabbah. Rewards to child for keeping them on etc!!! Helped us.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 4:40 pm
my dd got when she was a toddler. We first started with "mature" looking glasses which I really liked on her. When I first learned that she would need glasses I was also a little sad op. I personally am not such a fan of the circle glasses I saw on little kids. The more "mature" glasses kept getting bent out of shape etc... when we walked past the glasses store she would assume we were going in since we there so often!

My SIL told me she knew someone who's kid had these plastic glasses and that's what I NEEDED to buy. I looked in to and it was miraflex Wink They really did make a world of difference. They don't only come in circled shape so I got a different shape that I liked better and they looked nice on her.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 6:29 pm
My daughter got glasses when she was two. I felt the same as you. After a short while I realized she looks adorable. I got durable ones that were not wrap around. Also , as your child gets a little older it's not odd to have glasses. My daughter enjoys picking out frames too. It will be ok: )

mommy2

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 8:55 pm
I have 6 children in glasses. Most from a young age. I finally found miraflex. Since I got them about 6 months ago they didn't break. Although the lens can be popped out:( I really think it's the best for young kids. I ordered the frames from Amazon. Btw I always get comments on how cute they look with the glasses.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 12:26 am
Thank you so much everyone for all the support! I definately will need to get used to her with glasses but BH for glasses and early detection.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics