Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
How to start p3 services?

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 7:04 pm
I live in bklyn and would like to get p3 for my daughter. Can anyone help guide me how to start this process? Thanks.

Mothers

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 7:08 pm
If you believe that she has a disability, you can submit a referral for testing to your Committee on Special Education (CSE). Your CSE depends upon the district of your daughter’s school, and the school should be able to tell you which it is.

The CSE will conduct a psychoeducational evaluation and determine if she is eligible for any special education services (which could include P3).

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 9:37 pm
In plain English it means that you need to find out which nycdoe district you are in. Submit a letter with your daughter's legal name, DOB, and your academic concerns. When you bring her down for testing if you have a sample of a failing test or hw (no Hebrew! They don't care!), Bring it with u.Also ask your child's teacher to write a letter stating your daughter's academic concerns. Cover your bases before you get to the meeting that decides whether she gets services or not. They usually decide before meeting if your case has merit. So build your case before.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 10:27 pm
Many schools these days have a coordinator who is in charge of the services that students get. Find out if your dc school has such a person. They could help you with the process.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 11:14 pm
While some schools do have a coordinator, I found that, personally, no one is the best advocate like the mom.If I would have waited for a coordinator to help me, I would've first gotten my services february time and instead I got it right away in december. I even discussed with the teacher my child's academic concerns, (I)crafted the letter, and had her sign it. Everyone couldn't get over how fast my dd's services came through. That's because I didn't have to wait on anyone "helping" me.

seeker

Post Thu, Nov 09 2017, 1:00 am
amother wrote:
In plain English it means that you need to find out which nycdoe district you are in. Submit a letter with your daughter's legal name, DOB, and your academic concerns. When you bring her down for testing if you have a sample of a failing test or hw (no Hebrew! They don't care!), Bring it with u.Also ask your child's teacher to write a letter stating your daughter's academic concerns. Cover your bases before you get to the meeting that decides whether she gets services or not. They usually decide before meeting if your case has merit. So build your case before.

This.
In addition, there was an article about P3 in Binah magazine a couple of months ago (back to school issue, IIRC) that many people found helpful and informative. If you email them you can probably get a reprint.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Nov 09 2017, 10:02 am
op here- Thanks everybody....Very helpful!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics