Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Using a timer to do melacha on shabbos

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Nov 09 2017, 1:49 pm
Is it allowed to set a timer before shabbos to do something that is a melacha? Does it make a difference what it is for?
Everyone uses a timer for lights or air conditioning. But what about filling the dishwasher right before shabbos and setting it to run later in the night when you won't be bothered by the noise?
I need to scan my computer and its going to take 20 hours. Can I set it to run over shabbos?

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Nov 09 2017, 1:54 pm
I was told no for coffee. Didn't ask about other things. Ask your rabbi

doctorima

Post Thu, Nov 09 2017, 2:30 pm
I think it's a problem to have it start on Shabbos, but why can't you start the computer scan before Shabbos and then just let it continue on its own?

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Nov 09 2017, 3:00 pm
Generally we allow a timer if there's a benefit for shabbos itself - light, comfortable temperature, etc. It's hard to see how scanning a computer is for the sake of shabbos. (I understand why you would want to use the down time, but that's not the same thing.)

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Nov 09 2017, 3:07 pm
The dishwasher is Zizul Shabbos, I don't think you'll find a heter for that.

The computer scan is probably mutar, if you started it before Shabbos.

But ask a Rav, these are all good questions and that's what he's there for! Even though some of us may know specific halachos, he can tell you alternate ways which may work even if one is asur.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Nov 09 2017, 3:45 pm
amother wrote:
The dishwasher is Zizul Shabbos, I don't think you'll find a heter for that.

The computer scan is probably mutar, if you started it before Shabbos.

But ask a Rav, these are all good questions and that's what he's there for! Even though some of us may know specific halachos, he can tell you alternate ways which may work even if one is asur.

Actually I have a special Tzomet timer on my dishwasher. When I think of oneg shabbos, I think of my dishwasher!

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Nov 09 2017, 4:38 pm
I think theres a concern that someone will think that you ran it on shabos-maris eiyan (hope I spelled it right) even if you didn't. Also, certain things you can leave on before shabos like lights but I was told a washing machine/dryer you can't leave on once shabos starts, probably for the same reason. As always, ask your LOL
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions