Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Freeze potato kugel raw?

OOTBubby

Post Thu, May 21 2009, 1:25 pm
Does anyone freeze their potato kugel raw? My family really likes potato kugel best when it is fresh out of the oven (not cooked, frozen and reheated). I was thinking this could be best duplicated by freezing the raw mixture in the pan and then cooking it from frozen.

If so, how do you cook it (say for a 9" x 13" pan) from frozen and at what temperature?

Thanks.

Twoisacharm

Post Thu, May 21 2009, 1:31 pm
my grandmother par-cooks the kugel then freezes it

doesnt always come out good - cause it gets mushy

- but sometimes its gr8!!!!!!!!

DefyGravity

Post Thu, May 21 2009, 1:35 pm
I would NOT freeze it raw.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, May 21 2009, 1:35 pm
Twoisacharm wrote:
my grandmother par-cooks the kugel then freezes it

doesnt always come out good - cause it gets mushy

- but sometimes its gr8!!!!!!!!

I've done that, but it doesn't come out how I want.

I'd like to know if anyone here freezes it raw, and if so, how they cook it, etc.

Thanks.

Twoisacharm

Post Thu, May 21 2009, 1:36 pm
oh I forgot to say - it also has a pink colour....as oposed to white/yellow of fresh potatoes

wtvr I agree with defygravity - I wldnt freeze kugel

OOTBubby

Post Thu, May 21 2009, 1:37 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
I would NOT freeze it raw.

I've been hesitant to try it until now, but I keep hearing people saying they know someone who does it (but they don't know the specifics).

I should mention that I have a separate deep freezer that is much colder and freezes things faster than a refrigerator freezer.

Twoisacharm

Post Thu, May 21 2009, 1:38 pm
how abt cooking it thru - freezing it - then making it into overnight kugel - that always goes down well!!!

OOTBubby

Post Thu, May 21 2009, 1:40 pm
Twoisacharm wrote:
how abt cooking it thru - freezing it - then making it into overnight kugel - that always goes down well!!!

I do that too and it's great, but isn't always a substitute for that fresh hot out of the oven potato kugel on Friday afternoon (particularly a busy Friday with no time to make one).

Twoisacharm

Post Thu, May 21 2009, 1:50 pm
true!!!!!!! I love kugel - its wat makes my friday happy lol

OOTBubby

Post Fri, May 22 2009, 12:03 pm
Just to update -- I was chicken to try freezing it raw without specific instructions, so I did what I find to be otherwise best. Slightly undercooking it, and then will reheat it uncovered (while still partially frozen) until the top crisps.

Twoisacharm

Post Fri, May 22 2009, 12:11 pm
u know what - next time separate a small amount of kugel freeze that and try baking it from raw

u can test bake for me too lol it would be fantastic to be able to make it early and still get fresh kugel on friday...(I made mine yesterday)

so keep us posted!!!!!!!

OOTBubby

Post Fri, May 22 2009, 12:16 pm
Twoisacharm wrote:
u know what - next time separate a small amount of kugel freeze that and try baking it from raw

u can test bake for me too lol it would be fantastic to be able to make it early and still get fresh kugel on friday...(I made mine yesterday)

so keep us posted!!!!!!!

I think about, but since I hate peeling potatoes so much (and no longer have kids at home to delegate the task to) I don't know if I'd ever get around to that.

Of course if someone knows how to do it and shares it, I'll try it.

Twoisacharm

Post Fri, May 22 2009, 12:18 pm
aw ok - you know what next week (if I remember) il do it and see what happens

bex

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 12:44 am
I have been freezing raw potato Kugel for years.
I place my 9x13 pan of frozen raw potato Kugel into a 400 degree oven and bake for 1hr then lower oven temp to 350 for remaining 2-3 hours.
Even though right when you take it out the freezer it looks "grey" after you bake it that layer is brown and crunchy and inside is white.
Always use good potatoes e.g.yukon gold

4g01o

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 4:11 am
bex wrote:
I have been freezing raw potato Kugel for years.
I place my 9x13 pan of frozen raw potato Kugel into a 400 degree oven and bake for 1hr then lower oven temp to 350 for remaining 2-3 hours.
Even though right when you take it out the freezer it looks "grey" after you bake it that layer is brown and crunchy and inside is white.
Always use good potatoes e.g.yukon gold

I know this is an old thread but
Does it go in the oven covered?

liveandlove.ima

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 4:26 am
I did it for a while every other week. (I'd double the recipe and put one away) could literally not tell a difference!
I baked it uncovered. Btw there was another thread about this more recent maybe like a year ago...

4g01o

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 4:27 am
liveandlove.ima wrote:
I did it for a while every other week. (I'd double the recipe and put one away) could literally not tell a difference!
I baked it uncovered. Btw there was another thread about this more recent maybe like a year ago...

Thanks.
You bake uncovered from frozen, or part of the time?
I'm so glad to hear that there is no difference. Its my first time doing it, and it's for a simcha!

liveandlove.ima

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 5:00 am
Uncovered for the full time. How do you typically bake potato Kugel? I never cover so it catches a color quick or else it turns brown. Don't panic the Kugel will be grey out of freezer. That's just the top layer and it will be the crust so no worries

4g01o

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 5:11 am
liveandlove.ima wrote:
Uncovered for the full time. How do you typically bake potato Kugel? I never cover so it catches a color quick or else it turns brown. Don't panic the Kugel will be grey out of freezer. That's just the top layer and it will be the crust so no worries

OK thank you so much.
I usually bake it uncovered but I've never made from frozen.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes