Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How long for response

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 10:31 am
I went for an interview earlier this week and am just wondering what the norm is. When can I expect a response either way (or will they only contact me if I got the job)? New to the job search market....

nicole81

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 10:46 am
Did you send a thank you email? If not, get on that!

Most places will only contact you if you get the job, unless it was a 2nd or 3rd round interview. How long it takes really varies, depending on how many people they're interviewing, how important it is for them to fill the position immediately, any consultations that need to be made before hiring, etc. But one thing you should never do is stop job hunting while you wait to hear back. Continue to apply and interview for other positions in the meantime.

groovy1224

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 11:00 am
nicole81 wrote:

Most places will only contact you if you get the job, unless it was a 2nd or 3rd round interview. How long it takes really varies, depending on how many people they're interviewing, how important it is for them to fill the position immediately, any consultations that need to be made before hiring, etc. But one thing you should never do is stop job hunting while you wait to hear back. Continue to apply and interview for other positions in the meantime.

This. It's unfortunate, but many workplaces don't bother to let interviewees know if they didn't get the job; they only reach out to the one that did. (or the ones they want a second interview with)

You can always send an email asking if they made a decision about the position so you know either way.

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 11:13 am
nicole81 wrote:

What should I write in the thank you email?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 11:27 am
amother wrote:
What should I write in the thank you email?

Dear ____,

It was very nice to meet you the other day. I enjoyed discussing [something that came up in the interview that really went well]. I am excited about this position and believe [insert skills here] will allow me to excel at your [company/organization]. I look forward to being in touch about my candidacy.

Thank you,
Amother

Sometimes they get back to you even if you didn't get it, sometimes they don't. You can follow up in a week or so, reiterating your interest in the position. If by two weeks you haven't heard back, you probably didn't get the job. In case you don't get this and are back to the drawing board, for the future, a thank you note should be emailed within 24 hours of an interview.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 12:52 pm
I was always called by the employer for a follow up interview or phone conversation. I think that when they don't respond within a few days it means that they moved on and don't plan on hiring you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics