Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Severe Acne - HELP!
1  2  3  4  Next

Has your face been able to recover fully from severe acne?
No, I still have many scars  
 22%  [ 13 ]
No, but it has gotten better as I get older  
 39%  [ 23 ]
Yes, but only with with a LOT of work and money invested  
 10%  [ 6 ]
Yes, it cleared up over time  
 27%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 58

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 10:44 am
I am looking for recommendations/advice for severe acne treatment.
I've been battling acne since I was a young teen, and it has not gone away. I am now a young adult, married, and the acne is getting worse. My face *hurts* from all the pimples, and I get really big, cystic pimples. I also have a tremendous amount of scars and 'holes' in my face.

I am exasperated.

I hope that someone can give me advice or pointers to help with this! Any and all advice will be appreciated! Just a note: I have already tried topical ointments, medicated face washes/foams, Proactive, Arbonne, and Neutragina. I've already tried Edith's facials (Flatbush) and they helped for around a month before the acne returned.
I've already changed my diet - I am off sugar, off dairy, off wheat, off gluten, off refined fats (such as margarine, butter, etc). I exercise moderately and am religious with face masks (at least one per week). Is there anything I'm missing? Anything I can do to change the horrible, red, p**** reaction from gracing my face on a daily basis?

I live in NY and would appreciate recommendations or advice such as: where to get a good facial, good dermatologists, or ANY other treatment that I can do.

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 10:49 am
Wow! That is a lot you have done. I am with you all the way. I have acne since a teen as well and its been horrible. I did acutane as a girl. I am not recommending but its a very strong oral medication. I also use a topical called Exposed - its a lot more sensitive to the skin than proactive and I have seen good results on it (although its not magic it does improve the skin)

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 10:53 am
amother wrote:
Wow! That is a lot you have done. I am with you all the way. I have acne since a teen as well and its been horrible. I did acutane as a girl. I am not recommending but its a very strong oral medication. I also use a topical called Exposed - its a lot more sensitive to the skin than proactive and I have seen good results on it (although its not magic it does improve the skin)

Thank you for the validation! It is, indeed, a horrible affliction Sad

I wonder about your experience with Accutane: did it not absolve all of your acne? I've been told that if I take Accutane, I will get a massive breakout, and then be done with acne for life. It sounds like your experience has been different - can you say more about it?

And I will look at the Exposed treatment - thank you for the rec!

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 11:02 am
amother wrote:

I wonder about your experience with Accutane: did it not absolve all of your acne? I've been told that if I take Accutane, I will get a massive breakout, and then be done with acne for life. It sounds like your experience has been different - can you say more about it?

It did improve my skin greatly but I had terrible side effects. I was had massive mood swings and other very uncomfortable side effects..

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 11:06 am
amother wrote:
It did improve my skin greatly but I had terrible side effects. I was had massive mood swings and other very uncomfortable side effects..

Got it. Thank you for sharing this!

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 11:34 am
amother wrote:

My oldest son used Accutane. His course of treatment lasted about 8 months. He still gets an occasional pimple, but its much better than it was. Our goal was to prevent scarring, and it definitely accomplished that.

You would need to take two (2) forms of approved birth control, starting a month before treatment begins, and continuing until at least a month afterward. You would also be given a monthly pregnancy test.

But there are a lot of things that dermatologists can do short of accutane, including oral antibiotics.

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 11:50 am
amother wrote:
I am looking for recommendations/advice for severe acne treatment.
I've been battling acne since I was a young teen, and it has not gone away. I am now a young adult, married, and the acne is getting worse. My face *hurts* from all the pimples, and I get really big, cystic pimples. I also have a tremendous amount of scars and 'holes' in my face.

I am exasperated.

I hope that someone can give me advice or pointers to help with this! Any and all advice will be appreciated! Just a note: I have already tried topical ointments, medicated face washes/foams, Proactive, Arbonne, and Neutragina. I've already tried Edith's facials (Flatbush) and they helped for around a month before the acne returned.
I've already changed my diet - I am off sugar, off dairy, off wheat, off gluten, off refined fats (such as margarine, butter, etc). I exercise moderately and am religious with face masks (at least one per week). Is there anything I'm missing? Anything I can do to change the horrible, red, p***y reaction from gracing my face on a daily basis?

I live in NY and would appreciate recommendations or advice such as: where to get a good facial, good dermatologists, or ANY other treatment that I can do.

I went to dr sapna palep in Manhattan. I love her as a doctor and she really helped me with my acne. Plus I had really good results from laser hair removal with her.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 12:00 pm
Go to the dermatologst and ask about spirinolactone. Not dangerous, generic and totally cheap, very safe. All my acne is gone

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 12:17 pm
amother wrote:
Go to the dermatologst and ask about spirinolactone. Not dangerous, generic and totally cheap, very safe. All my acne is gone

Interesting! How long was your course of treatment?

cm

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 12:50 pm
Many people have excellent results from antibiotics. Your dermatologist can guide you with treatment options. Sorry, I don't have a specific doctor to recommend in NY.

dovebird

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 12:51 pm
Having acne is really frustrating. I suffered from severe acne since I was a kid, and the only thing that helped was Accutane. The only major side effect I had was severe dryness. If you have any questions you can feel free to p.m. me or post it here.

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 1:08 pm
I have body acne as an adult. I get occasional pimples on my neck stomach back and arms. I go swimming in a local pool and recently some women stopped going because they thought I was contagious. Should I tell them that the pimple on my leg is just acne? Should I wait for it go away and enjoy the empty pool? I think it's mean for them to tell each other it's contagious without asking me first.

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 1:57 pm
Have you ever tried a cleanse/detox?

amother
Blush

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 2:17 pm
Is there a reason you don't want to try accutane?

I generally stay away from medication that isn't absolutely necessary, but accutane was life-changing for me and I would do it again in a second, and I wouldn't hesitate to let my kids take it if necessary.

Within a week of taking it, my face had completely cleared up. You have to keep taking it for months for the long-term affect, but it was like magic. Now I deal with a small pimple here or there every now and then, but nothing remotely like the face-covering cystic acne I had for so many years.

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 2:57 pm
amother wrote:
Have you ever tried a cleanse/detox?

I don't know what that is. Just to be clear, I don't have severe acne. Once a month when I get my period I get a few pimples, like one on my shoulder, one on my stomach. It's very rare that I get them on my legs. I have exactly 3 pimples now including the one on my leg. I don't feel like taking accutane for 3 pimples a month.

My question is, now that I have a pimple on my upper thigh should I tell people that I have acne? Should I wait for it to go away? I only get pimples on my legs once a year. No one complained about the one on my back or the one on my face.

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 2:59 pm
amother wrote:
I don't know what that is. Just to be clear, I don't have severe acne. Once a month when I get my period I get a few pimples, like one on my shoulder, one on my stomach. It's very rare that I get them on my legs. I have exactly 3 pimples now including the one on my leg. I don't feel like taking accutane for 3 pimples a month.

My question is, now that I have a pimple on my upper thigh should I tell people that I have acne? Should I wait for it to go away? I only get pimples on my legs once a year. No one complained about the one on my back or the one on my face.

People are confusing you with op. You should go to a dermatologist too. Legs are an odd place for acne.

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 3:14 pm
Go to a dermatologist... They can do more than what you can do on your own. In the past I have been helped by clarifoam, a prescription topical cream. Everything else I tried on my own did nothing or made it worse. It was expensive but worth it . I didn't know to ask for it, dermatologist recommended.

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 3:39 pm
Before I was a teen my mom told me (she heard it from a Rebbitzen) to wash my face with regular body soap and that is the way I wash my face and nothing else and that is the way to keep a dace clear it is almost two decades later and I B"H pretty much have clear skin.
Don't use those fancy soaps and treatments! You will ruin your skin!!!!!

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 3:41 pm
Yes, I had severe acne and now get only 1 or 2 here and there. I went on spironolactone--a very low dose did the trick for me. I also used retinol a cream and topical antibiotic cream.

I also stopped using all face masks and products. That made a huge difference. I wash with cetifill and moisturize with aragon oil. That's it. I also stopped wearing foundation. I switched to a tinted moisturizer and only spot conceal where necessary.

When my face cleared I weaned off spironolactone and then slowly weaned off the topicals. I drink 3 liters of water a day, eat clean, and work out. I take probiotics.

It took nearly two years to get to where I am today, but I am mostly clear and no longer on any prescriptions, so it was worth the wait.

Hugs to you. Out of all the problems out there, this one may not be the worst, but it still sucks.

Kiwi13

Post Sat, Nov 11 2017, 6:57 pm
I have scars from severe acne. Over time the scars have faded and aren’t nearly as noticeable anymore. They are also much more easily hidden by makeup now. My skin smoothed out a bit since then as well.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics