Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
What are my options?

amother
Plum

Post Sat, Nov 11 2017, 9:16 pm
I have a son with high functioning ASD. We are looking for an elementary school for next year. He is not quite ready for mainstream. The suggestions we've gotten so far are all in New York (CAHAL, Haor Dovid, Gesher Yehuda). Dh really wants to move to NJ. What would our options there be? Are there parts of NJ that have a reasonable commute to Brooklyn or not? We looked into Sinai and they said he was too high functioning for their program.

amother
Black

Post Sat, Nov 11 2017, 9:34 pm
Are you getting any services in NY? My instinct is to tell you to stay in NY. NJ is not an easy commute to Brooklyn, and there aren't really programs here for the in between kids. And services are much better in NY.

amother
Plum

Post Sat, Nov 11 2017, 9:40 pm
He currently gets very few services and it's likely they're not going to be renewed next year because he's really made vast improvements. But he does get ABA. That is through our insurance and wouldn't be affected by where we live (Dh's job would not change and thus our insurance would stay the same). I also really would rather stay in NY and it seems like our options are better here. But dh really really wants to move.

seeker

Post Sat, Nov 11 2017, 10:20 pm
How old is he? I ask because if under 5, start looking into pendency. It's the best way to not lose services for a child who's functioning well but still has needs.

amother
Plum

Post Sat, Nov 11 2017, 11:12 pm
He's 6. I'm not so concerned about services. This year he gets 1 speech and 1 OT (was 3 of each last year plus PT), so even if we stayed in NY he might not be getting those next year. His ABA is covered by insurance, so that wouldn't change either. I'm looking for yeshiva programs that cater to kids on the spectrum or mainstream yeshivas that will be accommodating and understanding.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sat, Nov 11 2017, 11:23 pm
amother wrote:
He's 6. I'm not so concerned about services. This year he gets 1 speech and 1 OT (was 3 of each last year plus PT), so even if we stayed in NY he might not be getting those next year. His ABA is covered by insurance, so that wouldn't change either. I'm looking for yeshiva programs that cater to kids on the spectrum or mainstream yeshivas that will be accommodating and understanding.

Yavneh in Paramus accommodates many high functioning special needs kids.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)