Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Words You Used to Pronounce The Way It's Spelled!
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

InnerMe

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 2:25 am
I'm always fascinated by those words that people pronounce the way they are spelled, but they are supposed to be pronounced tooootally different. So chime in with yours, and perhaps I can learn some new things here, and sound more intelligent:)

No police here! No fear of writing something wrong! If I write the correct way it's pronounced... and I still got it wrong... then go ahead and teach me!!

Some of my faves:
Entourage I used to pronounce entawridge instead of the elegant way: untaradshe
if you get what I mean.

Chic used to say chick- like a baby chick. Correct is sheek or is it cheek?

Picturesque- I am still utterly confused. Is it picture- esk? picture- sque (as in the letter 'u')?

I'll think of more...

relish

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 2:28 am
Debris

InnerMe

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 2:34 am
All those fancy french words I still get confused:
The flavor dulce de' leche. is it dulce de lecha (ye almost like letcho that your grandma makes) or is it la'chay? like all those fancy French words? Or none?

And a word that I love... touche'. Forgive me if I'm putting the apostrophes in all the wrong places. I did say this is a safe haven. Remember?
So is it too-shay? or I another way that I can't exactly spell out.

What about misled. Is it mis-led. or is it misled, as in sizzled but change the z for an s sound?

InnerMe

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 2:38 am
relish wrote:
Debris

Yup.. wrong: debris pronounced exactly the way it's spelled. Right: debree.

Fox

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 2:41 am
Oh, boy! What a list! I read a ton as a kid, much of it above my grade-level, and with no concept of active versus passive vocabulary.

Compromise -- I avoid this word like the plague, because in my head, it's still com-promise. Just the prefix "com" stuck onto the word "promise."

Traipse -- this isn't quite the same, but for some reason I thought it was "tray-pass," kind of like "trespass" only with a different prefix.

My imagination mangled people's names horribly: Buchanan and Beauchamp hold special places in my memory. I think I was reading Armistead Maupin as an adult before I realized that "Beauchamp" is pronounced "Bee-chum" in the US and UK.

I'm sure I'll think of others. Or my mother will!

Juicy

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 3:06 am
Albeit

top mom

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 3:21 am
Aisle
Colonel

wife2

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 3:22 am
Rendezvous
Orangutan

InnerMe

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 3:24 am
Fox wrote:
Oh, boy! What a list! I read a ton as a kid, much of it above my grade-level, and with no concept of active versus passive vocabulary.

Compromise -- I avoid this word like the plague, because in my head, it's still com-promise. Just the prefix "com" stuck onto the word "promise."

Traipse -- this isn't quite the same, but for some reason I thought it was "tray-pass," kind of like "trespass" only with a different prefix.

My imagination mangled people's names horribly: Buchanan and Beauchamp hold special places in my memory. I think I was reading Armistead Maupin as an adult before I realized that "Beauchamp" is pronounced "Bee-chum" in the US and UK.

I'm sure I'll think of others. Or my mother will!

I find it so true about the reading part. I read a lot, but don't get to hear those words IRL because many of these words are not used so much in speech, but yes in writing. So you've got that word creep into your mind a certain way. And it just remains there. Whether it was when you were 6 or 10 or 15 years old doesn't matter.

Also it's interesting to see other people's. I'm rolling it on my tongue that com-promise.

InnerMe

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 3:26 am
wife2 wrote:
Rendezvous
Orangutan

For the benefit and education of fellow Imas please posters, enlighten us to the correct pronunciation.. you may as well save us future embarrassment in case we had not been enlightened on that particular word yet.

And forgive me.. but I don't even recognize that second word you wrote, let alone know how to pronounce it. This is having me feeling pretty ignorant.

InnerMe

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 3:29 am
top mom wrote:
Aisle
Colonel

colonel!! I still have it in my mind as that wrong way!
Every time I think of the correct way- kernel- comes to mind a popcorn seed. Well the colonel with a kernel.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 4:00 am
Chaos

shirachadasha

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 4:24 am
We had Suave shampoo when I was a girl. I didn't exactly know how to deal with the 2 vowels so I referred to it as say-voo.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 5:43 am
Many of those words are French. It makes no sense not to pronounce them as such. Same for Italian or whatever. Rule of thumb, if a local won't understand it, it's probably wrong.

bigsis144

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 7:04 am
Awry (I pronounced it AWE-ree instead of uh-RYE)

zaq

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 7:07 am
RAHN day voo
A RANG a tan also A RANG a tang. Really O with a mark over it that I don’t have on my keyboard but few of us have such precise diction that it matters.

Seriously,ladies, there’s a marvelous analog program (also available online with audio) with which you should make yourselves familiar. It’s called a DICTIONARY and it tells you not only how to pronounce words (including secondary, but still acceptable pronunciations) but also their origins and roots, definitions, synonyms and antonyms, and if you’re really lucky, examples of their use in a sentence.

I highly recommend acquiring one. And then USING it. You can trust a dictionary. Unlike certain ill-advised spiritual leaders and educators, dictionaries do not lie. (If they did, they’d be called fictionaries.) And unlike you or your bff, dictionaries don’t guess. They are exhaustively researched, and nothing goes in that does not have ample documentation in print.

Last edited by zaq on Sun, Nov 12 2017, 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total

imasinger

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 7:13 am
Two that I got wrong as a kid:

Avid
Infrared

I second what Zaq said. If you see a word on this thread that you don't know either the meaning or the pronunciation, take a minute and look it up!

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 7:33 am
wife2 wrote:
Rendezvous
Orangutan

Lol. Me too! I only learned the correct way recently.

Another one : hor's d'oeuvres

moonstone

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 9:52 am
When I was a kid, I thought epitome was pronounced eh-pih-tome.

Also, I thought the name Phoebe was pronounced Phobe. (Because like "epitome", I'd only read it, not heard it said aloud.) Then I was watching a TV show where one of the characters was named Phoebe. I still didn't put it together until the credits came on and it said (name of actress) as Phoebe. That was an ah-hah moment for my 8 or 9-yr-old self!

pause

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 10:07 am
Omnipotent
omniscient (I'd say om-nee-sigh-ent)
and tons more I can't remember now.
Page 1 of 9   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics