Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Difference between American and imported beef

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 9:57 pm
Can anyone enlighten me?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 11:13 pm
You'll notice that imported beef is kind of pale. Not as tasty. A bit tougher.
It really depends on where and what though. I really dislike the imported beef from gourmet glatt (so I don't get to buy their sale items and their regular priced items are expensive) but I love the meats that are constantly on sale at the kollel and moishe's (not much lighter than US beef and tasty).

nylon

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 11:44 pm
Unless it's labeled as grass fed, American beef is from cattle that have been fed grain at least part of their life. (How much depends on where and how it was raised.) This makes the meat fattier and more tender.

Our imported kosher beef comes from South America where cattle eat only grass, not corn and soybeans. It's healthier for the cattle (large amounts of rich feed are hard on their digestion) but the meat is leaner and tougher with a different flavor. Some people say the grass fed is healthier. (I don't know if there is a conclusive opinion)

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 11:59 pm
A lot of the imported beef I buy at krm is grain finished. I wonder if that makes a difference in the taste.

Raisin

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 4:27 am
none of the american recipes work for my local (grass fed) beef.

I know people who will only eat grass feed since it is less cruel. (maybe healthier too, I don't know)

yo'ma

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 7:13 am
I can't tell the difference, but my dh does. He likes his meat the best. There are also different qualities. A friend bought a cut of meat from here, Argentina, and she said it was tough, but I had the same cut and it wasn't. I had the better quality.

seeker

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 9:16 am
I think it has been solidly demonstrated that grass fed is an advantage. G-d knows most of us have more than enough corn and grain in our diets already.

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 9:29 am
ra_mom wrote:
A lot of the imported beef I buy at krm is grain finished. I wonder if that makes a difference in the taste.

I feel that grain finished meat is a little softer than grass fed meat.

L K

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 10:19 am
Is there a straightforward way to adjust recipes or cooking times for American vs imported, or grain vs grass fed?

Is all imported presumably grass fed?
Tevyas ranch is marketed as grass fed, but stores that sell meats from other sources just label them "imported." For some reason, gourmet glatt iirc imported is cheaper

loveit

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 8:34 pm
Often the imported meat is frozen when delivered to the store and local is usually fresh. There are a million exceptions to this but it’s a good general rule. This will lead to a difference in quality

Ruchel

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 7:22 am
Some countries will allow more or less or no hormones, and antibiotics.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics