Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Do Lakewood girls wear shabbos coats?

lkwdlady

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 8:13 am
I'm asking for elementary school age.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 8:14 am
Yes.

tzimip

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 8:17 am
Depends where you live. Not everyone wears in my neighborhood

L K

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 8:18 am
From my experience - depends on age and crowd. Most younger girls in my old neighborhood wore regular weekday jackets/coats on shabbos; and only maybe one little neighbor wore a proper wool shabbos coat.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 2:49 pm
why would ANYONE NOT wear a winter coat/jacket when its freezing outside and snowing? Whats the reason?

lkwdlady

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 2:53 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
why would ANYONE NOT wear a winter coat/jacket when its freezing outside and snowing? Whats the reason?

I was asking if they could wear their regular weekday warm/down puffers or if most of the girls are wearing special shabbos/ woolen coats. The question is not if they should be wearing a winter coat, rather if the girls have special shabbos coats.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 3:04 pm
lkwdlady wrote:
I was asking if they could wear their regular weekday warm/down puffers or if most of the girls are wearing special shabbos/ woolen coats. The question is not if they should be wearing a winter coat, rather if the girls have special shabbos coats.
Ah, makes sense. Now I get it. Thanks for explaining. Smile

zaq

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 3:12 pm
Lakewood gals wear Shabbos coats, doodah, doodah
Lakewood gals wear Shabbos coats, oh da doo dah day.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 9:48 am
My girls started wearing Shabbos coats at around 7th grade or so. It started when Gap put out a wool peacoat in their girls deparment, and I got it for a really great price. (and next daughter then got it as a hand-me-down....)

It would be a waste of money to buy my 9 year old a Shabbos coat. She would hardly ever wear it. She'd much rather wear her cozy warmest jacket than a stiff piece of wool.....

Last edited by Chayalle on Mon, Nov 13 2017, 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total

keym

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 10:04 am
My daughtet is in upper elementary school. Neither she nor any of her friends wear shabbos coats. They do prefer regular coats black, navy, grey with fake fur trimmed hoods so Iit gives off a nice look while still wearing a weekday coat.
I dont see many girls reaching 6th grade wearing bright or colored puffer coats. They consider it "babyish" and prefer to stick with conservative colors.
Otoh, I hear high school girls "need" a shabbos coat but hardly ever wear it. School shabbos, shabbaton, events. I see many girls choose to wear their regular coat to bnos or to go to friends. But maybe thats just where I live.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics