Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Need creative answer seminary application
1  2  Next

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 10:40 am
The seminaries are asking for height and weight and this is after wanting the whole doctors letter(which I totally agree with) but why do they need to know how tall someone is- are they going to get extra long mattresses. And asking for a teen girls weight- really!!! She could be the most fit young lady and still say, um none of your busines. really. Aside from putting n/a anyone have an idea of something creative to write

Cookiegirl

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 10:42 am
"Within healthy parameters/range"

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 10:48 am
They don't ask to be yentas. They do this because you are entrusting them with the welfare of your child.

Seminaries sometimes have to deal with students suffering from eating disorders. Worse, sometimes the parents don't disclose that their daughter is ill. They just ship her off and hope all will be well. Sometimes a girl who was fine at home develops an eating disorder while in seminary. Obviously, the seminary is going to want to help.

It is useful to be able to look at an application and say, hey she has lost 25 pounds since she got here, something must be up.

Also, seminaries buy health insurance for their students. Some insurance plans won't cover a student who is obese, and the seminary has to arrange for private insurance.

creditcards

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 11:24 am
If she would need medication in an emergency, they would need her weight to know how much to give. Assuming it's an emergency and they can't ask her...for ex my daughter had a seizure and Hatzalah asked me how much she weighs because they needed to give her medication...
Just brainstorming why they would need it....

Iymnok

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 11:27 am
But this is he application. Not the medical form that she fills out after being accepted.
Unless they plan on accepting everyone...

ruby slippers

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 11:27 am
amother wrote:
They don't ask to be yentas. They do this because you are entrusting them with the welfare of your child.

Seminaries sometimes have to deal with students suffering from eating disorders. Worse, sometimes the parents don't disclose that their daughter is ill. They just ship her off and hope all will be well. Sometimes a girl who was fine at home develops an eating disorder while in seminary. Obviously, the seminary is going to want to help.

It is useful to be able to look at an application and say, hey she has lost 25 pounds since she got here, something must be up.

Also, seminaries buy health insurance for their students. Some insurance plans won't cover a student who is obese, and the seminary has to arrange for private insurance.

yes- but all of that information is on the form they require the doctor to send in so why repeat it and have the student right it- is it a test to see if the student will lie?

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 11:28 am
Iymnok wrote:
But this is he application. Not the medical form that she fills out after being accepted.
Unless they plan on accepting everyone...

True as well! Are they not going to take girls over a certain weight or height???

creditcards

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 11:30 am
amother wrote:
True as well! Are they not going to take girls over a certain weight or height???

I agree, it's an interesting question....

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 11:31 am
Unbelievable! Don't agee that they need to know.

Say

We measure in middos and they are good.

Or

This question is intrusive and unnecessary

Or

Made btselem Elokim

Or

I don't know- it's private

OR

We don't own scales

OR

We don't think this is important

OR

Is this how you judge suitability for your seminary?

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 11:31 am
Cookiegirl wrote:
"Within healthy parameters/range"

this is pretty good- thanks-

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 11:34 am
amother wrote:
Unbelievable! Don't agee that they need to know.

Say

We measure in middos and they are good.

Or

This question is intrusive and unnecessary

Or

Made btselem Elokim

Or

I don't know- it's private

OR

We don't own scales

OR

We don't think this is important

OR

Is this how you judge suitability for your seminary?

love these!!!!!!!! and crazy right- its on the health form the doctor completes- why do it again!! I think this adds to the stress teen girls are under. Will this go on their shidduch resume?!?!

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 11:37 am
Not to mention if this Sem. is in Israel, and she CV"S gets sick there , and needs to go to a hospital there they need to have accurate medical info.

If it was my sem. I'd insist on blood sugar, BMI, Blood pressure , and relevant gyno. information as well.

OutATowner

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 11:38 am
Typed a few dlkz scenarios, then deleted because it just doesn't make sense...why should it be on an application - they are not accepted yet. Once accepted it would make sense to go on a medical "cheat sheet." Are they asking other medical info like allergies also? If yes, then it wouldn't be as wierd.

Cookiegirl

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 11:39 am
Remember, this is the application- not the medical form for the seminary that the student actually attends. In that case you need a doctor signed medical form with plenty of disclosure...

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 11:41 am
I don't know why it's on the application, but my guess is just that they want you to know that they look at the health of the girls. Or they are using an old application that doesn't reflect the existence of a detailed medical form.

If you don't want to answer the question, then don't. If I were you, I would say that the information can be found on her medical form. I don't imagine anyone would object. A snarky answer, however much it might give you a moment of satisfaction, could kill your daughter's chance of being accepted to the school of her choice.

cm

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 11:41 am
There are a lot of inappropriate questions on the applications, both for day schools and seminaries, stuff that would be illegal on job applications ("have you ever been in therapy?"). I suspect that the people who make these things up simply don't think it through, and perhaps copy from old forms, ever perpetuating the problem. No, of course they don't need to know her height and weight. They only need to know that she has clearance from her physician to participate.

For the most part I go along with it as long as no harm is done, because I don't want my daughter to be weeded out because her mother is a troublemaker. However, it is certainly ok to ask why they need to know certain tidbits, and to address the situation more forcefully once it is safe to do so.

In this case, "height and weight are proportional and appropriate for age; please see medical form for details" is quite enough.

SisterSix

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 3:55 pm
I had to fill out a daycare application for my baby that asked for the ages of the parents

Kiwi13

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 4:18 pm
SisterSix wrote:
I had to fill out a daycare application for my baby that asked for the ages of the parents

That’s odd. If they want to know they can ask in a less intrusive way, such as asking for the parents’ date of birth, which can also double as a security measure.

As far as the height/weight question, it also strikes me as strange. When I applied to seminary they asked outright on the application if I ever had an eating disorder or similar issue. And if so, they needed a doctor’s note saying it was resolved. I was honest and said yes but I was better now. For better and for worse my doctor wrote a short note saying it was resolved, and the doctor, my parents, and I all kind of downplayed the issue. I was accepted to seminary and relapsed, becoming deathly ill. It’s not a joke and many seminaries won’t take any chances at all on this kind of thing, and in my opinion rightfully so. Not that they always have all the facts when they accept a girl, plus some girls develop eating disorders while in seminary). I’m extremely grateful that I got to go to seminary, and that they gave me a chance. It would have been hard and unfortunate to be turned away because of having that in my past. But realistically a girl in recovery needs certain resources put in place to help her while she’s in seminary, not the constant pressure of hiding any problems that come up for fear of expulsion. But I digress...

I don’t know why they’re asking for height and weight. It’s probably medically-related, as many others have already suggested. If you really want to go to the school I would just answer the question honestly. Playing games might turn them off and lead to a rejection. It’s not the best thing, but it’s not the worst, either. Most likely there will be other issues that come up over the course of a year in seminary, and you kind of have to choose your battles.

(If this turns out to be a shidduch related question then I’m absolutely appalled and I would consider scrapping the application altogether. That’s not an environment I would want my daughter in.)

sweetart

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 4:37 pm
Really strange. I have seen many sem applications, and never saw anything like this. It is generally only after acceptance that together with other forms you send in a medical form. And seminaries don't pay for health insurance for the girls-- health insurance is yet another expense parents must cover.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 5:23 pm
Just write it. If you are snark or evasive you won't be getting an interview so you won't have to worry about the semearly misusing the info. If she's within normal weight why do you care? If she is not, they will notice that when they interview so I don't understand the secrecy really
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics