Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Help me transmogrify my chicken soup into Asian chicken soup
Previous  1  2

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 8:06 pm
tigerwife wrote:
I added a drop of rice vinegar and now I've doubled back at your post and see you meant rice WINE vinegar๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜… hope it's somewhat similar!

Very Happy Close enough for rock and roll. How does it taste?

lavenderchimes

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 8:29 pm
tigerwife wrote:
Oh, yes I did. I don't think I've ever seen the word elsewhere but I'm pretty sure it's real Very Happy

Yeah, it took my brain a minute to place the word:) Nice.

tichellady

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 8:33 pm
tigerwife wrote:
I added a drop of rice vinegar and now I've doubled back at your post and see you meant rice WINE vinegar๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜… hope it's somewhat similar!

Rice wine vinegar= rice vinegar

tigerwife

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 8:34 pm
So my soup came out kind of funky but not in a bad way and it was super hearty and filling!
Next time I think I won't shred the ginger but boil whole and remove later.
And although I love egg drop, it didn't work fabulously with the chunkiness of the soup.
May add a bit more soy sauce, and maybe salt. Oh, and if I make this in advance, I would add more fresh veggies like scallions, etc.

Thank you all for your help!

eschaya

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 9:36 pm
Thai coconut chicken soup is yum! Simmer stock with lemon grass, ginger and chile peppers (in a bag so you can remove it after, if you want), add lime juice and coconut milk. Before serving add diced scallions, sliced mushrooms, and shredded chicken (from the original stock). Garnish with cilantro.

For halachic purposes, I think you may need to make some sort of siman when you serve this because it looks like milchig but is obviously fleishig. Ar least that's what I was told when I made it for a Sheva brachos years ago.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 4:04 am
eschaya wrote:
Thai coconut chicken soup is yum! Simmer stock with lemon grass, ginger and chile peppers (in a bag so you can remove it after, if you want), add lime juice and coconut milk. Before serving add diced scallions, sliced mushrooms, and shredded chicken (from the original stock). Garnish with cilantro.

For halachic purposes, I think you may need to make some sort of siman when you serve this because it looks like milchig but is obviously fleishig. Ar least that's what I was told when I made it for a Sheva brachos years ago.

I make this all the time. It's one of my favorite comfort foods, especially served over white rice. An extra dash of Siraccha is nice when you're fighthing off a cold.

I serve it in the "meat colored" bowls, with the meat silverware, so that's enough siman for me.

tigerwife

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 4:05 am
Wow, the Thai version sounds really good. Next time!

saboni

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 1:07 pm
Love Thai chicken soup!
I make "hot and sour soup" from chicken stock all the time. It takes me literally ten minutes to prepare and it's a filling delicious dinner in one bowl. Actually making it tonight, as per my kids' request ๐Ÿ˜Š

I don't know amounts, taste and adjust as needed:

Bring chicken stock to a boil and add soy sauce, rice vinegar and a dash of white pepper. Slice chicken breast and scallions and add to soup, simmer for 10 minutes. Add sliced tofu and simmer another 5-10 minutes. Add a drizzle of sesame oil.

Serve over couscous, rice or noodles.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics