Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
The Black Friday Thread
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5 16  17  18  Next

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 8:13 pm
seeker, I just saw your great bargain post. I was looking for the Kohl's down-alternative comforters, but they don't seem to be in the price range you mentioned... can you tell me which one you bought?

Thanks.

L K

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 10:05 pm
seeker wrote:
Probably the same ones. They said original price $159, on Black Friday (which starts Thursday I think) it will be $49. I like my Oneida silverware.

Now I get it; I somehow thought it was current price.
Are those pre-bf ads somewhere out there to check out? Anyone knows if bbb has one?

Eta: never mind, I found kohls ad, thanks.

Last edited by L K on Mon, Nov 13 2017, 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

jflower

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 10:43 pm
seeker wrote:
I'm also looking for a laptop. There are a zillion deals out there and choosing is harder than finding. One difficulty is that a lot of brands/stores have especially stripped down versions of popular computers just for these sales. So it's a little mental gymnastics to judge what's really a good buy. It's also harder to find an actual sale on the actual computer you wanted, since the sales are on specific configurations. So I saw a computer I really liked that was very well discounted - but it was still well over my budget because it was the highest configuration. I would have loved a similar discount on a more modest configuration of the same computer, but that's not on sale. It costs the same amount as the specced out version because the better one is on sale. But my budget stays down. So I end up just confused with all the choices only this time I don't think I can afford to just sit out the sales and end up without a new computer for another year. Mine is working at the moment but I don't feel that I can rely on it anymore, it gets super annoying at times like when the keyboard randomly stops working for a few days... Rolling Eyes And I never installed Office on this computer, and I'm starting to really miss it for certain types of work I do, but I figure it's not worth buying when this computer is going to die imminently anyway. As for Office365, there are discounts on that with new computers too, so may as well just do it all at once. Just so confused which to buy.

seeker, I recommend that you take a look at the Signature Edition laptops at microsoft.com. They come loaded with Windows 10 (no bloatware.) Run of the mill laptops come loaded with so much software that you'll never use and it's a pain figuring out what you can get rid of safely. At least it was a pain for me.

As far as Office365, have you ever used Apache's OpenOffice? It's totally free and has different modules that cover text documents(word processing), spreadsheets, drawing, presentations etc. I read about it online, tried it and have been using it for several years.

What is your budget? What are your requirements? You can PM me and I'll try to help.

abound

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 1:51 am
looking for a basic point and shoot camera for a teenager. Please let me know if you see any good deals!

LittleDucky

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 2:42 am
seeker wrote:
Kohl's has their down alternative comforters for $20 again. I love them. They're not quite like down (much lighter) but they are soft, fluffy, and warm.

Does Kohls do free shipping? I am trying to minimize foot traffic then as there are a few places I might want to stop in.

LittleDucky

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 2:47 am
jflower wrote:
seeker, I recommend that you take a look at the Signature Edition laptops at microsoft.com. They come loaded with Windows 10 (no bloatware.) Run of the mill laptops come loaded with so much software that you'll never use and it's a pain figuring out what you can get rid of safely. At least it was a pain for me.

As far as Office365, have you ever used Apache's OpenOffice? It's totally free and has different modules that cover text documents(word processing), spreadsheets, drawing, presentations etc. I read about it online, tried it and have been using it for several years.

What is your budget? What are your requirements? You can PM me and I'll try to help.

Love open office! While word is nicer if you must do graphics I found OO to be decent basic word processing. Oh and you can't do the citation builder. But it is Totally free and no yearly subscriptions! Just download (like Firefox). Oh and you can save as a .doc (or in their own file name .odt) so you can email and print out elsewhere IME.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 5:18 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
I never heard of anyone thinking thanksgiving is assur. Is that a real thing?

I wrote this upthread:
imasoftov wrote:
Search for threads here with thanksgiving in the title, in the two pages of results there are a few about just that.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 5:19 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
So, by that logic, Xmas shopping would be even more problematic...

Xmas shopping? What do you buy?

seeker

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 5:57 am
There are various web sites that post the ads and/or lists of good deals, here we're just culling ones of particular interest or that respond to people's requests. You won't see the prices directly on the stores' websites because the sales are next Thursday, it's just helpful to plan in advance.

About the computers, I have open office but I do a lot of projects in collaboration with people using MS Office and they don't work together well enough for my needs. Bits of formatting get lost, track changes doesn't mesh right, and some excel documents just...don't. Basically I've found Google Docs to cover the same needs for me as Open Office, and the needs that weren't covered still aren't.

little neshamala

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 8:00 am
Cant find the kohls comforter for 20$ :-(
Anyone know of a link?

seeker

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 8:58 am
Are you people reading any of the thread before replying? Black Friday is next week, with many sales starting Thursday evening. You will not see the sale prices on product pages or store websites. There are ads saying what the sale prices *will* be that are available on various websites. But the ads are around 60 pages long for each store so it's helpful for people to share things that are of particular interest.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 9:52 am
Re the Oneida flatware.

Oneida is a brand. They make high-end, sturdy wonderful flatware. And they make junk. And they make everything in between.

My Pesach flatware is Oneida. If you look at it funny, it bends. Which is fine, because it gets used 8 days a year. (Oh, who am I kidding. I use mostly disposables, so it gets used a lot less than that.) But I wouldn't recommend it to anyone for year-round use.

My Shabbat silver plate is Oneida. It dates from the 50s or 40s. Its in perfect condition.

IOW, I'd suggest looking at any flatware, in person, before ordering, or at least reading reviews. 18/8 is better than 18/0, but that still doesn't tell you the weight.

seeker

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 11:01 am
Yes, the $50 for 82 pieces is definitely going to be the lower-end quality. But if you're just looking for something basic and economical, it should work fine. I think mine is mid-to-low range, not the lowest quality but definitely not their expensive lines, and it's doing fine. A LOT better than the same price range of Cambridge which is apparently a popular brand but it was very junky and fortunately I bought it someplace with a good return policy. I just looked up my pattern on Oneida's website and I see it is 18/0, as most of the more economical ones are these days. Definitely use an ice cream scooper instead of your flatware spoons and you should be fine.

L K

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 11:19 am
Seeker, what is the approximate original price point of your Oneida? I want something for pesach but not junk, I hate bent forks.

Btw, my Cambridge lasted a good 15 years so far, a lot of it though got lost or "treyfed", and I'm just not sure what is considered sufficiently clean for kashering- you know those grooves that seem to collect dunno, gunk or smth.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 11:25 am
L K wrote:
Seeker, what is the approximate original price point of your Oneida? I want something for pesach but not junk, I hate bent forks.

Btw, my Cambridge lasted a good 15 years so far, a lot of it though got lost or "treyfed", and I'm just not sure what is considered sufficiently clean for kashering- you know those grooves that seem to collect dunno, gunk or smth.

Cambridge makes good stuff, and makes junk. Like everyone else. Williams Sonoma flatware is Cambridge. (I only know because I googled.)

If you check the reviews on the Oneida site, it should tell you what bends.

BTW, if anyone sees a good deal on crystal water goblets or double old fashioned glasses, let me know.

groovy1224

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 11:27 am
SixOfWands wrote:
Cambridge makes good stuff, and makes junk. Like everyone else. Williams Sonoma flatware is Cambridge. (I only know because I googled.)

If you check the reviews on the Oneida site, it should tell you what bends.

BTW, if anyone sees a good deal on crystal water goblets or double old fashioned glasses, let me know.

I don't know if these are good quality or not, but on the first page of the macys Black Friday ad it has a deal on some glassware and stemware sets that will be free after a rebate.

seeker

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 11:29 am
I don't remember how much I paid, naturally I shopped on sale+coupons Wink but it wasn't an expensive high-end line in the first place. My pattern is called "Flight." It is not the world's sturdiest but it's doing fine, I've had it for over 5 years as my main milchig silverware. Read reviews. My fleishig is heavier and sturdier but that was a gift so I have no idea what it cost and don't remember what brand it was. The Cambridge ones I had before and returned got rusted and yucky right away, even though I hand-wash everything. And yes, I don't like patterns with fancy carved designs because they are too hard to clean.

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 11:44 am
seeker wrote:
Are you people reading any of the thread before replying? Black Friday is next week, with many sales starting Thursday evening. You will not see the sale prices on product pages or store websites. There are ads saying what the sale prices *will* be that are available on various websites. But the ads are around 60 pages long for each store so it's helpful for people to share things that are of particular interest.

Just wanted to know which comforter from Kohls is good quality, thanks.

seeker

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 11:45 am
I have been happy with the down alternative one that goes on sale for $20 on BF. There's just one.

rikki 1

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 1:55 pm
I'm looking for a laptop also. Basic standard one.

There are SO many of them out there, wouldn't know where to start.
Page 4 of 18   Previous  1  2  3  4  5 16  17  18  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains