Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Woodmere - Yeshivish area

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 11:35 am
I am looking to leave Brooklyn and someone just told me that there is a yeshivish area of Woodmere. To give you some background about myself dh is a rebbe and while I personally don't like Lakewood and all the rules and boxing but we would fit in there just fine frumkeit wise. I am from oot and more laid back and not into brand names at all. Is it true that there is my crownd in Woodmere and if yes what area - please list streets so I can look at houses on zillow. Thanks.

doctorima

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 12:45 pm
I assume they're telling you about North Woodmere, which has some nice shuls and a nice young black-hat crowd, though I wouldn't say that it's on a Lakewood level of frumkeit, and certainly not the local school options.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 12:47 pm
I think its too modern for u based on your description. I would not classify it as yeshivish at all. Definitely frum... but not yeshivish. And prob more into brand names than brooklyn.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 1:10 pm
I live in Woodmere. There is definitely an area that has become black hat and more to the right in Woodmere. Obviously it is not exactly Lakewood. I think right now there is not much for sale but why not call a realtor and find out. The most popular realtor here is Miller Realty and there # is 516-374-4100. Good luck!

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 11:08 pm
amother wrote:
I live in Woodmere. There is definitely an area that has become black hat and more to the right in Woodmere. Obviously it is not exactly Lakewood. I think right now there is not much for sale but why not call a realtor and find out. The most popular realtor here is Miller Realty and there # is 516-374-4100. Good luck!

Can you tell me which areas? We are currently looking for a house in woodmere and I'm confused about which areas are black hat.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 11:57 pm
amother wrote:
Can you tell me which areas? We are currently looking for a house in woodmere and I'm confused about which areas are black hat.

The area near yeshiva gedolah is a little yeshivish, and there is another shul called eshei in woodmere which also has lots of black hatters.

heidi

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 1:06 am
amother wrote:
The area near yeshiva gedolah is a little yeshivish, and there is another shul called eshei in woodmere which also has lots of black hatters.

I think you are referring to אש קודש which does have black hatters, but they're more the neo Chassidic type, not yeshivish. The shul is very singy, feel good, chassidish lite.
Actually, the area near South Shore yeshiva is a bit yeshivish-- Franklin Ave. (I think that's the name of the street ), Hewlett area.
To me, it sounds like OP would be a much better fit for Far Rockaway or Bayswater.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 1:56 am
The most yeshivish people in Woodmere are generally the ones associated with Yeshiva Gedolah of the Five Towns located on Mosher Ave. The area around that would be where the people in that crowd live. Maybe get in contact with the yeshiva and see if anyone there can give you some direction. Also keep in mind that the schools in the area are going to have a big mix of people.

ETA: I wouldn't really call it a "yeshivish area" because it is not a high concentration of yeshivish people. The whole 5 towns and FR are a big mix.

Have you considered Far Rockaway or Bayswater as another poster suggested?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating