Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Tips and advice from ladies who live in small apartments.
Previous  1  2

DVOM

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 8:39 am
We used to live in a very small apartment (two bedrooms, kitchen, all-purpose livingroom/dining room/ playroom and tiny bathroom) for a family of 6. Here are some of the things I did:

I hung a shoe organizer on the back of the closet doors and stored sox, gloves hats and scarves, toiletries, and of course shoes in there. Very helpful!

Every bed had under-bed storage boxes for out of season clothing and for each kids "precious things".

I threw out or gave away absolutely everything that wasn't being used. Read "the life-changing magic of tidying up" Excellent book! Really helped me let go of a lot of junk.

I spent every Sunday morning sorting something with my kids. We would go through one closet or drawer or bin and organize and throw things out. It really kept the mess from overflowing.

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 8:51 am
If you can afford it. Rent a storage unit, where real estate is very cheap for stuff you seldom need but can't bare to part with

lavenderchimes

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 8:59 am
"The life-changing magic of tidying up"
I also built a loft above my bed = storage. We also have a small storage space for $80 a month.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 9:34 am
just curious- do you not save any school work? did you throw out all your old notes, tests, papers etc... or do you keep it at your parents house?

pesek zman

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 10:14 am
amother wrote:
just curious- do you not save any school work? did you throw out all your old notes, tests, papers etc... or do you keep it at your parents house?

Do you mean your child's school work? Or yours?

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 10:17 am
both but my kids are young so more mine. I've started to get rid of them but it's hard...

miami85

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 10:24 am
I was in a 1 bedroom for 7 years with 3 kids. I did keep a lot--but we had a lot of storage closets. I loved the jumbo ziploc bags for outgrown/ off-season clothing. I bought a lot of stuff from 2nd hand and consignment stores so my husband would often ask me--will it cost more to keep or more to throw out. I got rid of a lot of 3t+ because who knows when it would be used again. I once saw someone's collection that she saved and a lot of the elastic was shot, or the clothes were clearly out-dated, so I realized its not worth saving clothing for 4 years. Baby stuff yes b/c they grow out of it so fast and they aren't as opinionated about what they wear, but bigger stuff isn't worth keeping.

As for hats and scarves, if you get the XXL ziploc bags--NOT totes, you can put hats and scarves--make one for each category and then hang the handle from a hanger in the closet.

pesek zman

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 10:31 am
amother wrote:
both but my kids are young so more mine. I've started to get rid of them but it's hard...

I purged that years ago. Definitely not hard for me

Teomima

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 11:00 am
amother wrote:

Besides for some old college textbooks that I especially enjoyed, and still read occasionally, I haven't kept a thing from school. Certainly nothing from high school. That is, relatively, such a short period in a person's life. Hardly worth taking up the space.

I also don't keep any of my kids' old school stuff. There's no need for it, and no space for fostering such sentimentality in a small apartment.

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 11:16 am
amother wrote:

Absolutely not! OK, I saved exactly one college term paper for many years, but ultimately chucked it when I conceded that I never looked at it. I kept exactly one college text that I actually use as a reference. I have two grad school texts at work because they’re job-related but in truth I should chuck them because they’re so dated. Plus I never do crack them open.

Notes? Test papers? Whatever for? If you graduated five years ago your stuff is already obsolete unless you majored in history. And even then...

My philosophy is that when you move out of your parents’ house, your stuff goes with you or you pay them the going rate for long-term storage. With your declaration of independence comes responsibility for your own stuff. Part of being a grownup is being able to make hard decisions , and the sooner you start, the sooner you get good at it. Purging your pre-marriage junk is an excellent place to start.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics