Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Anyone here a civil rights lawyer?

amother
Blush

Post Sat, Nov 04 2017, 9:43 pm
I'm considering going for the necessary education to be admitted to practice (possibility in a few states).

Any tips you can share? Anything you wouldve done differently?

I am not dependent on the income, it's a hobby and passion for me.

I only have an associate's degree.

amother
cornflower

Post Sat, Nov 04 2017, 9:48 pm
what law schools are you considering?

MagentaYenta

Post Sat, Nov 04 2017, 9:50 pm
As someone who never finished law school I'm curious how you consider obtaining a JD something one would do as a hobby? Between classes and study groups you are talking about committing a major portion of your life to getting a law degree. This is also a rather expensive hobby when you count the cost of a bachelors and law school. How will you fund this hobby?
You'll also have to include getting a bachelor's as part of your hobby.

amother
Blush

Post Sat, Nov 04 2017, 10:09 pm
amother wrote:
what law schools are you considering?

My ultimate goal is to attend the Trial Lawyers College by Gerry Spence.

Up until then, I prefer the least expensive options in NYC.

amother
cornflower

Post Sat, Nov 04 2017, 10:32 pm
amother wrote:
My ultimate goal is to attend the Trial Lawyers College by Gerry Spence.

Up until then, I prefer the least expensive options in NYC.

That looks lovely - but as I'm sure you know - is not a law school. Its continuing education for lawyers.

This one seems to have what you are looking for http://www.law.cuny.edu/index.html

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 5:44 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
As someone who never finished law school I'm curious how you consider obtaining a JD something one would do as a hobby? Between classes and study groups you are talking about committing a major portion of your life to getting a law degree. This is also a rather expensive hobby when you count the cost of a bachelors and law school. How will you fund this hobby?
You'll also have to include getting a bachelor's as part of your hobby.

The reason I didnt respond to this comment sooner is because ....iduno....something about its tone turned me off to commenting....I cant put my finger on it...
But just because you didnt finish law school must you stomp on my parade?
Besides, you mentioned in another thread that you raised 7 children. I can understand how that might interfere. But I'm not raising even half that many (have you not heard of abstinence or bc?), so I may just make it.

cnc

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 5:58 pm
amother wrote:
The reason I didnt respond to this comment sooner is because ....iduno....something about its tone turned me off to commenting....I cant put my finger on it...
Besides, you mentioned in another thread that you raised 7 children. I can understand how that might interfere. But I'm not raising even half that many (have you not heard of abstinence or bc?), so I may just make it.

In her defense, if what she posted is true- they are not her biological children.

I guess every old thread that MY posted in will be bumped up now 🤔

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 6:18 pm
I got curious about her responses to my posts because for the most part I used to not give her comments much thought and I dont even know why. I cant put my finger on it. Im going back to my old threads to see if I can find a common theme. Im laid up in bed today and maybe the next 1-3 days. Any other suggestions as to where to put my attention? I need a break from legalwork.

cnc

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 6:22 pm
Do you have Amazon Prime? 😊

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 6:25 pm
amother wrote:

I started college from scratch with 8 kids. I'm sure I'm not the only one. You can do it!

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 6:25 pm
cnc wrote:

You mean their primer? I would love to paint my walls, but like I said I'm laid up in bed :-( so not a time to stand on my feet.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 6:28 pm
amother wrote:
I started college from scratch with 8 kids. I'm sure I'm not the only one. You can do it!

Wowzers :-)
Online or in person?

Never mind. Im beginning to have some paranoia about your comment- maybe you are not actually a frum woman who started college with 8 kids ....

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 6:33 pm
amother wrote:
Wowzers :-)
Online or in person?

Never mind. Im beginning to have some paranoia about your comment- maybe you are not actually a frum woman who started college with 8 kids ....

Ok, I'll post under my SN, and you can get Yael to verify - do you want?

Seriously, I did - why not? Not online.

edit: If you want, you can pm and I'll send you a copy of all my kid's birth certificates, and my associates degree (two classes away from a bachelor's degree, but almost there) Very Happy .

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 7:55 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Ok, I'll post under my SN, and you can get Yael to verify - do you want?

Seriously, I did - why not? Not online.

edit: If you want, you can pm and I'll send you a copy of all my kid's birth certificates, and my associates degree (two classes away from a bachelor's degree, but almost there) Very Happy .

Will do. Delegating to my scty. (Meeting in person would be my preference.)

nicole81

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 8:21 pm
OP, I totally see myself getting a JD one day for fun. My husband is convinced I'm gonna do it, too. I can never seem to stay out of school for too long. I have another 19 years until I can retire, but when I get there, I'm totally about pursuing law as a hobby. It's not strange to me!

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 9:09 pm
nicole81 wrote:
OP, I totally see myself getting a JD one day for fun. My husband is convinced I'm gonna do it, too. I can never seem to stay out of school for too long. I have another 19 years until I can retire, but when I get there, I'm totally about pursuing law as a hobby. It's not strange to me!

Any particular area of interest? Mine is in civil rights (constitutional).

imasoftov

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 9:22 pm
amother wrote:
You mean their primer? I would love to paint my walls, but like I said I'm laid up in bed :-( so not a time to stand on my feet.

I really can't tell if this is pretending or not.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 9:26 pm
imasoftov wrote:
I really can't tell if this is pretending or not.

I was wondering the same.
A lot of strange threads of late.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 9:37 pm
cnc wrote:

Oh, you mean the annual fee for certain benefits like streaming movies?
Yes, I have it. But really don't enjoy watching movies.

nicole81

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 10:57 pm
amother wrote:
Any particular area of interest? Mine is in civil rights (constitutional).

Actually, I'm quite interested in con law as well. I had to take a graduate class in educational law, and I found the application of the constitution and its interpretations to be fascinating, even thrilling.

On the other side of the spectrum, I'm also quite interested in contract/corporate law. And I feel like I'd be perfectly happy researching and working on contracts all day long. I can be quite boring at times 😀

I'm not expecting to start a new career at almost 60, but if I do eventually get in and go to law school, I'd be happy just learning, and perhaps ultimately freelancing some work in the side for fun/ extra cash.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics