Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Is this creepy strange or am I thinking too much

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 12:00 pm
My Neighbor passed away last week bd"e. It is very sad- he was not sick and not old, he just did not wake up. On the day of burial I noticed a praying mantis on my screen door. I have seen them once in a while in my garden which is not near the door, but ok- maybe he was warming himself or saw some yummy insect to eat. We had fun watching him. next day he is still there in a different spot, next day- still there different spot, next day still there etc. He was on my screen door for 7 days and on the 7th day he was no longer moving. My husband thinks I am crazy, but the mantis showed up on the screen the day of the funeral and he died at the end of shiva for my neighbor. Its gotta be a coincidence right???

crust

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 12:13 pm
Are you afraid it was your neighbor's neshama?
I dont think it works that way.
To calm yourself- light a candle l'tovos him.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 12:17 pm
It's natural to look for some kind of order when something random happens. No I don't think this was a sign of anything, but if the sight of this praying mantis makes you more compassionate to the widow and orphans, and gets you thinking about how to live your life well, then it's a good thing.

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 12:32 pm
You’re overthinking. Actually I think it’s called “magical thinking”. But if it makes you feel better, you don’t harm anyone , and no money changes hands, it’s ok.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 12:42 pm
If it wasn't a coincidence, what do you think that it might mean?

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 12:48 pm
I don't see any possible meaning, but I can understand why you are looking for one. You are shaken by a tragic and unexpected passing. It's natural to look for meaning in unusual occurrences when faced with something like that. And if you do think of something and that something helps you improve something in your own life, all the better. If not, well, no harm done.

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 12:49 pm
I don't think the praying mantis died.. It just went back to the Twilight Zone...

observer

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 1:27 pm
You can say to it "Machul lecha, machul lecha, machul lecha". Just in case.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 2:09 pm
observer wrote:
You can say to it "Machul lecha, machul lecha, machul lecha". Just in case.

If any of you ever haunt me, you're gonna have to find a better way to communicate than just showing up.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 3:04 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
I don't think the praying mantis died.. It just went back to the Twilight Zone...

LOL! Maybe I have been watching too many of th0ose kinds of shows.
I remember learning that the neshama hangs around for the week of shiva, I guess that's where the thought came from...

also, what is machu lechu, just reading that gives me the heebeegeebees.

causemommysaid

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 3:06 pm
I think it was nothing but if you find meaning in it and do something good then it can't harm anyone.

rgr

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 3:14 pm
causemommysaid wrote:
I think it was nothing but if you find meaning in it and do something good then it can't harm anyone.

מוחל לך = mochel lach = I forgive you

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 10:23 pm
rgr wrote:
מוחל לך = mochel lach = I forgive you

oh- that makes sense now.- thanks!

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 10:48 am
what on earth is a praying mantis???

leah233

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 10:52 am
I very rarely see praying mantissas either but when they do show up they have a tendency to stick around and barely move for a while so I wouldn't think too much of this.

Ask your rov if you really feel spooked by it

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 11:51 am
amother wrote:
what on earth is a praying mantis???

Also called preying mantis. A large and mildly scary-looking insect that is often deliberately introduced into gardens to help control bugs without resorting to chemical pesticides. Hence the nane “preying”— it preys on other bugs. At rest, it folds its forelimbs so that they resemble hands folded in prayer—hence “praying”.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 12:15 pm
I'm sorry for the loss of your neighbor.

We obviously can't prove anything, but if it is his neshama tell him he should send regards to your grandparents. Wink
If he feels like you need to forgive him, he won't want to cause you more trouble by scaring you.

WhatFor

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 12:26 pm
imasoftov wrote:
If any of you ever haunt me, you're gonna have to find a better way to communicate than just showing up.

Let's make a sign so we'll know. Fly two figures-eight to the right, two to the left, a five second hover in place. Then 7 circles around your head followed by a series of buzzes to the rhythm of tekia, shvarim, truah. Got that?

InnerMe

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 12:44 pm
WhatFor wrote:
Let's make a sign so we'll know. Fly two figures-eight to the right, two to the left, a five second hover in place. Then 7 circles around your head followed by a series of buzzes to the rhythm of tekia, shvarim, truah. Got that?
Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

This is seriously too funny!!!

And for my sign: Creep around the diameter of your head. Enter left ear, and massage. Enter right ear, massage. Speed fly towards the ceiling, towards ground. Repeat.

WastingTime

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 2:36 pm
He was clearly praying for an aliyah for the neshama.
Sorry, couldn't resist Rolling Eyes
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics