Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Raccoons and opposums in your yard?

mammala120

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 9:12 pm
We recently moved to marine park and almost every night spot raccoons and once opossum. They are very fat and careless. They go into every thing I have in my yard. They ate my cold water fish that kept on my porch. They live in abandoned house facing my backyard. What can I do to get them removed?
I called 311 many times and so did other neighbors over the years. The answer they got is that owner does not give them access to the residence. But owner is dead.

Mothers

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 11:36 pm
Raccoons can be dangerous, as they can carry rabies, but opossums are harmless. They are opportunistic feeders, and they will eat mice and other rodents. They rarely carry rabies. I would consult an exterminator regarding the raccoons, but leave the opossums alone.

Pooh

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 11:37 pm
My next door neighbor had also. She had an exterminator come and set up cages that trap them. So far two were taken away. They like sweets so the exterminator puts marshmallows inside the cage to lure them (instead of cats who shy away from sweets) Once they're in it closes and he comes to take hem away

SpottedBanana

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 11:37 pm
Why is this in Questions, Comments and feedback about Imamother? Maybe put this in New York-related inquiries.

Water Stones

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 11:47 pm
This is so funny for me remembering something.

My dh the first time he came to meet me in my old country, we were sitting outside my house with my family and he saw a raccoon walking on top of our garage roof. And he said look a muskrat! Omg I laughed so hard!!

He's a Brooklyn born but not Marine Park neighborhood, so he never seen a raccoon by him!

isrmss91

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 11:59 pm
They been in flatbush for a while. Remember seeing one on Shavous about 8 years ago. A little shocked, as I thought they were small and cute. This one was huge and ugly, about 3 times as big as a full grown cat. I've seen them loads of times. Possums too. Apparently, the city has ads all over the city, with a picture of a raccoon saying "city dwellers come in all shapes" Basically, its to tell us, that we should get use to it. Make sure you have lids on your Garbage Cans and don't leave any food around. 311 won't don't anything, unless maybe the animal looks sick or may have rabies. G

imasoftov

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 4:06 am
SpottedBanana wrote:
Why is this in Questions, Comments and feedback about Imamother? Maybe put this in New York-related inquiries.

Perhaps raccoons and opossums have joined the site as well?

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 4:29 am
Call animal control, and ask them where you can rent humane cage traps, like Havahart (sp?).

Once you trap them, animal control will pick them up and relocate them. Don't do this in the Spring, because you might separate a mom from her babies.

In the meantime, make sure that your garbage is secure, and leave NOTHING edible outside. If you have a yard, you can get motion detector water sprinklers, that come on full blast when the sensor is tripped. It will startle them away (works great on the neighbor's kids, too!)

Raccoons love water features, so drain any ponds or bird baths, or at least cover them with a strong metal mesh. Raccoons are actually very clean creatures; they love to wash their food before eating it, and they wash their hands and faces. A convenient source of water is a huge attraction for them.

kiryat sefer

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 5:29 am
311 won't do anything about it because the city put the opposums there to eat the mice in Brooklyn. And 311 told me to go pay for my own exterminator....

mammala120

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 12:22 pm
Thankyou all for your replies. I feel stuck. I can't stop cleaning the yard and disinfecting kids toys. I can't even enjoy being out without worrying. So sickening.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 12:24 pm
if the raccoons don't find a food source or water source ime they leave

good luck

Water Stones

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 6:35 pm
imasoftov wrote:

Rolling Laughter

InnerMe

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 6:49 pm
imasoftov wrote:

Now you really had me laugh!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries