Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Passport expiring in a month- good for travel to Canada?

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 11:41 am
I was planning to travel to Canada next week from the US (driving, not flying), and I completely never realized that some countries will not accept a passport if it is expiring within 3-6 months! I didn't even realize it was expiring, I was planning on renewing right when we got back.

I know it will be fine going into Canada, as I can provide a birth certificate and ID for entry, but does anyone know about getting back into the US? It will still be valid at the time of travel, but will expire about a month after

TIA!

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 1:23 pm
I think it can be used for up to 6 months after expiration when driving from US to Canada. It should be easier for a US citizen to get back into the US even if it was expired.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 1:35 pm
call the post office or consulate or something and confirm

doctorima

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 2:31 pm
I would think the opposite. Getting back into the US with a still-valid passport shouldn't be any problem. The question will be getting into Canada. Countries worry that you may overstay your visit and not return before your passport expires; hence the 6-month rule. I don't know if Canada is different than other countries, or if driving makes it better. The best would be to call up the actual border crossing that you plan to use and speak to a supervisor.

jkw

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 4:54 pm
Check the Canadian Border Services website. Believe you MUST present a valid US passport to drive into Canada. The days of driver's license and valid ID being enough to drive across are long gone...

sequoia

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 4:57 pm
I wouldn’t risk it.

fbmommy

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 5:33 pm
The ID is only for minors, not adults

mizle10

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 5:38 pm
Driving is absolutely not a problem with an expired passport. BTDT many times. Flying is a no-no.

mizle10

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 5:39 pm
But I'm a canadian citizen going in and out of the US, double check it works both ways.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 5:40 pm
jkw wrote:
Check the Canadian Border Services website. Believe you MUST present a valid US passport to drive into Canada. The days of driver's license and valid ID being enough to drive across are long gone...

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/tra......html

Identification requirements for U. S. citizens and permanent residents

If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you must carry proof of citizenship such as a passport, birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization, a U.S. Permanent Resident Card, or a Certificate of Indian Status along with photo identification. If you are a U.S. permanent resident, ensure you carry proof of your status such as a U.S. Permanent Resident Card.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics