Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
6 year old DD helping

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 8:57 am
My 6 year old daughter refuses to tidy up after herself.
If I ask her to put her clothes in laundry she complains "why do I have to do everything?!"
I really don't expect much from her, just to clear her plate when she's finished eating, put her shoes in their place...
any suggestions?

bigsis144

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 9:00 am
I have the same problem with my 5 year old son, down to the “why do I have to do everything!?” kvetching.

Wish I had advice, I can just say you’re not alone!

Ruchel

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 10:01 am
Punishments if she doesn't obey. It's for her own good to know how to do this. Once it becomes a habit don't let it slide.

lfab

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 10:39 am
My standard response when a child complains about having to help is: "Because you are part of a family, and part of being part of a family is that you help out". Mostly I use this line when I'm asking them to do something that isn't technically "their job", such as helping clean up toys that they say they didn't play with. Also, by the age of 6 I explain to them just like mommy washes clothing that I didn't wear, wash dishes I didn't use, etc. sometimes being part of the family means helping with things even if you didn't make the mess (or whatever). By that age they are old enough to understand this and it helps them realize that all family members have to help out to keep the house running. Repeat, repeat, repeat and eventually they will realize they can't tantrum their way out of this responsibility.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children