Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Stranger Vomiting on Subway Platform WWYD?
Previous  1  2  3

Roots

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 11:50 am
I grew up in queens, NY. one day on my way to HS I ran to the bus like crazy and probably didnt breath right or something bec I began blacking out on the bus. there was no seat availible, so I just got off on the next stop and sat down by a lamp post (by austin street area.) quite a few people walked by but at least 3 people actually asked me if I was ok. if they can get me something and one guy asked me if he shold call an ambulance.
I refused (obvoiusly, I was mortified and like in 11th grade maybe) and after a few min of drinking and just breathing deeply I was fine...

but now that I live in israel and everyone butts into everyone business im am like used to asking people if they are ok, but yeah idk if I would do that back in NY

imasoftov

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 11:52 am
But is vomiting tznius?

LizzieBennett

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 12:10 pm
Back in college (when I wasn't frum and wasn't dressed remotely tznius), I was on the subway on my way to work one morning and felt incredibly sick. I have endometriosis, so I wasn't sure if I was going to faint or throw up, but it was going to be one of those two, and it was going to be soon. I got off the subway at 42nd St., and tried to drag myself into Port Authority, but I couldn't make it all the way to the bathroom, and just sort of slumped over on the floor in the upstairs corridor, too dizzy to stand. I was terrified. And I probably looked like a junkie.

All of a sudden, a frum woman (long denim skirt, long-sleeve button-down shirt, hair tucked into a big denim cap) sat down next to me with a bottle of water. She stayed with me while I drank, and asked me questions to help me stay calm -- nothing personal or creepy, just like, "Oh, you're going to work? Where do you work? Do you like it? Do you have a boyfriend? Is he cute?" and that kind of thing. She helped me stand up when I was ready, and then she disappeared. I have so much love for that woman, and I hope nothing but good things ever happen to her.

Roots

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 1:34 pm
imasoftov wrote:
But is vomiting tznius?

your kidding right?

its not like its planned.

iammom

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 2:35 pm
imasoftov wrote:
But is vomiting tznius?

Only if you don't sneeze at the same time.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 2:55 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
I think you did the right thing. You notified personal that was the most I would've done. I wouldn't talk to or help a stranger on the subway, unless obviously frum. I think it's dangerous to just offer your help to anyone.

I take exception to that fact that you would help only if someone is obviously frum- I was gropped by a frum stanger on the subway- I thought he was safe to stand near cuz he was in full Chassidic garb. If you trust no one- then trust no one or just go case by case and situation by situation.

I think if you were not comfortable stopping you did the next best thing by telling someone.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette