Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Cheapest Kitchen remodel possible?

bookworm10

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 4:33 pm
We are looking into moving into a new house. I am not at all considered picky and have lived in pretty nebachdik (lol) kitchens. However, a house that seems to be the best fit for us and in our budget has an unusable kitchen. I want to know before we go ahead if its even worth it for us. That means it needs brand new cabinets, counters, sinks, and possibly appliances. Oh, and floor.

What is the least possible amount to spend on a kitchen? I don't care if its from IKEA, I just want it to function and look decent obviously. A modest L shaped one- no island or anything fancy.

NY area- if that makes a difference.

Tziril Miriam

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 4:45 pm
Go look at Ikea kitchens. They are beautiful, well-made, and the prices are clearly indicated.

Boca00

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 4:46 pm
I've heard Home Depot has a lot of quality stuff at decent prices.

eschaya

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 4:53 pm
Cabinets to go (when on sale, and assemble yourself) were better quality and price than home depot and ikea. Laminate flooring. Buy appliances from home depot during upcoming black Friday sale.
Cabinets were approx 3k (real wood as opposed to particle board like home depot or Ikea), but this was the cheapest style of wood during a 30% off Sale. Plus we had to assemble them ourselves.
We got nice granite for approx 2k, for 60 sq feet, but you can get for even cheaper.
Check out all the appliance stores before black Friday, you can get some really good deals.
Then lamkinate flooring can be gotten for as little as 1$/sq foot. And if you install yourself you save on the installation few.
All in all, you can have a really nice. Decent quality kitchen with new appliances for well less than 10k.

Last edited by eschaya on Thu, Nov 16 2017, 7:15 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 5:32 pm
I do not recommend getting cabinets from ikea or homedepot. YES it will be way cheaper, NO it will not be worth it. "poor people pay twice!"
spend a bit more for better quality and it will pay in the long run. Buy cheap now and have to replace way WAY sooner.

happy12

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 6:21 pm
My friend has a fabuwood kitchen for years and it is still good. Her family k"eh is in the double digits.
I just put in a 10 foot long fabuwood kitchen that a I bought in weissmans on Mcdonald in brooklyn. Cabinets, countertop, and hardware was about $1200

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 6:23 pm
I have a large - ish kitchen. Cabinets were not the cheapest , total 5500 including installation.
Floor was 1200 including installation. we did vinyl tiles.
we did countertop backsplash and sinks for about 1500
appliances - 2 ovens, dishwasher (we had fridge from before) total of about 1300 after rebates.
the total was under 10k and it was NOT the cheapest way. IOW, in a smaller kitchen, cheapest cabinet option (which for our size kitchen was priced at 4k) and only one oven , it can be done for less.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 6:24 pm
happy12 wrote:
My friend has a fabuwood kitchen for years and it is still good. Her family k"eh is in the double digits.
I just put in a 10 foot long fabuwood kitchen that a I bought in weissmans on Mcdonald in brooklyn. Cabinets, countertop, and hardware was about $1200
you mean 12,000 right?

happy12

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 6:28 pm
No it was $ 1200. This was for a basement kitchen. My cabinets in my regular kitchen was $15,000. But a much larger area and more expensive cabinets.

Purple2

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 8:42 pm
I would definitely go with fabuwood. It’s quality and inexpensive.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 5:23 am
Just want to point out that most brands of cabinets make several different lines with different specs and price points. Not just differences in door styles or colors, but differences in build quality, materials, and hinges and drawer slides.

bookworm10

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 5:43 pm
Thanks. I cant really price it out before we buy, and we can't buy if Im not even sure of a ballpark of how much it will cost. Most people say kitchens cost between 20-50 K- now thats a large range!!

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 5:52 pm
IKEA is not that cheap price
I had them come to my home and measure and make a plan for me(this service cost me $200)
They quoted me $18,000 delivery and installation NOT included.
Then I went for a private contractor, better quality cabinets $12,000 installed and appliances installed.

I also bought new appliance IMO Best Buy had the best prices.

cbg

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 6:04 pm
bookworm10 wrote:
Thanks. I cant really price it out before we buy, and we can't buy if Im not even sure of a ballpark of how much it will cost. Most people say kitchens cost between 20-50 K- now thats a large range!!

Ask the realtor if you can go back and measure the kitchen.
Then go to Home Depot and see if they can give you a ball park figure.
Afterwards you can do comparison shopping and see if you can get something better quality cheaper

spring chick

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 9:49 pm
You mentioned your in Brooklyn, so I'll recommend calling Kitchen Connections. There you can get fabuwood or CNC both the better Chinese brands for really cheap.
The flooring can be done low cost as well - as was mentioned.
The labor may be the most expensive part. Get good referrals, price match and ask for discounts.
All in all in can work if you put in the time.
Hatzlacha!!

Amarante

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 4:15 am
bookworm10 wrote:

You can certainly get a rough estimate of sizes to get estimates.

Besides the obvious which is size of kitchen, the reason for the disparity in prices is because there is such an extreme range of options that can drive up costs - in every category - flooring, cabinets, counters, fixtures and appliances there are what could be called inexpensive, moderate, luxury, super luxury.

Even if one opts for inexpensive, one can make choices that run up the cost for cabinets - for instance.

One might not necessarily want to go with the cheapest option in cabinets. There are certain structural elements of cabinets that will make them fall apart quickly - for example, drawers should be made of plywood with dovetail construction. Drawers with full extension hardware is preferable. What are the shelves made of - are they going to sag after a while if fully loaded?

Even in the world of MDF, the boxes can be better constructed with higher specifications - I.e. the width used and how is is wrapped. You might not want a MDF sink cabinet because the slightest leak would water could completely ruin it and thus necessitate a new cabinet.

There are people who have gotten better prices than IKEA if they find a carpenter who builds the cabinets on site. For that you have to get bids.

I am currently remodeling my kitchen and researching ALL the options. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I would suggest going to the houzz site where they have a kitchen forum and reading threads and posting there. Those people are going to be far more knowledgeable than random imamothers. Many of the posters are professionals. They are helpful with best cabinet choices within each price range.

FWIW, you can buy IKEA boxes and there is a supplier who sells better more attractive doors if you go the IKEA route. IKEA boxes are somewhat controversial as many people think that they are good for a few years but for longevity there are cabinets that are a smarter purchase which are still moderately priced.

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 4:23 am
happy12 wrote:

How much was installation for the basement kitchen? We want to do this in a laundry room.

cm

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 5:31 am
Does the kitchen need to be rebuilt from scratch? Refacing cabinets is far less expensive than replacing.

spring chick

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 8:53 pm
Does the kitchen need to be rebuilt from scratch? Refacing cabinets is far less expensive than replacing.

That's a great idea!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics