Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Advice needed

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 8:07 am
I am teaching in a chareidi school about the first churban and the reasons it was destroyed, how would I translate "gilui arayos" to these young girls (6th graders)?

do I say they did not behave b'tzniyus? that is the only thought that came to my mind. but I wonder if any teacher out there has experience in this and what is commonly used.

(please no discussion about being "open" to the students etc, if anyone has an issue with this a separate thread can be opened to discuss this topic)

Thank you

Iymnok

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 8:42 am
They engaged in the relationships forbidden delineated in Sefer Devarim. You can read through them quickly.
They did these out of ta'aiva and for avoda Zara.
Many consider A"Z to be a form of G"A, we are married to Hashem, but engaging in a relationship with other "gods".

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 8:49 am
Iymnok wrote:
They engaged in the relationships forbidden delineated in Sefer Devarim. You can read through them quickly.
They did these out of ta'aiva and for avoda Zara.
Many consider A"Z to be a form of G"A, we are married to Hashem, but engaging in a relationship with other "gods".

thanks but I know that will lead to a discussion "what does this mean" and I want to avoid that... these are very curious girls. I don't think it is my job in this capacity to get into this.
or do you have an idea how I can give it over in a way that they will hear and continue without saying "but what does this mean.?"

imasoftov

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 11:03 am

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 9:13 pm
amother wrote:
thanks but I know that will lead to a discussion "what does this mean" and I want to avoid that... these are very curious girls. I don't think it is my job in this capacity to get into this.
or do you have an idea how I can give it over in a way that they will hear and continue without saying "but what does this mean.?"

You teach it in a brisk manner in a way that shows you're not open to answering questions. If someone does ask a question that you don't want to answer, it's ok to say "We're not going into that right now." and simply move on.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 10:05 pm
I always just say that they had forbidden relationships when explaining g"a - for sevnth gr and up but I think it can go over in sixth also. If you're too 'brisk' it looks like youre trying to avoid something, which I don't think we are. My way of looking at it is that anything in Torah is correct and ok to teach - on an age appropiate level. I don't think age appropiate here is reading sefer devarim to them - that will open a whole conversation you're not interested in. They're not so out to lunch usually and are pretty aware of what a wrong relationship is...if a girl is like "what" I would just say briefly that men and women acted in a way that wasn't tznius - assuming they have ever gone to target, unfortunately, they know what that means.
Good luck!

Boca00

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 12:37 am
I don't think it's accurate to say they didn't behave b'tznius. All you need its for girls to think that behaving immodestly is one of the 3 cardinal sins and a yeharog v'al yaavor!

For all you know, they might think it means talking too loudly or joking around men or who-knows-what. Much better to say, like the other posters mentioned, "They had forbidden relationships."

imasoftov

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 7:33 am
amother wrote:
g"a

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 8:10 am
Engaged in forbidden relationships. If they ask you can name some of the people who are forbidden to marry such as a brother and a sister, and mention people remarried without getting a proper get, or just left, etc.

In this way they'll think it's just about marriage. Which is true, giluy arayos has much to do with marriage and status, not just the act itself.

pause

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 9:10 am
LovesHashem wrote:
Engaged in forbidden relationships. If they ask you can name some of the people who are forbidden to marry such as a brother and a sister, and mention people remarried without getting a proper get, or just left, etc.

In this way they'll think it's just about marriage. Which is true, giluy arayos has much to do with marriage and status, not just the act itself.

Definitely this.

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 9:23 am
Two single people having relations is assur, but I actually just found out it's not giluy arayos, it's some other issur. It's actually relatively new, and wasn't assur before Dovid Hamelech. I'm not sure what it falls under, and when it became assur, etc- but it's not giluy arayos. Giluy arayos is strictly relations with two different people of certain statuses that cannot marry or have relations.

Such as a married person and a single person, or a brother and sister.
But it's not two single people, which is why I assume that people didn't commit suicide rather than being raped etc. all the time when Jews were under persecution.

So giluy arayos, again is more about status than the act itself.

trixx

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 9:30 am
Boca00 wrote:
I don't think it's accurate to say they didn't behave b'tznius. All you need its for girls to think that behaving immodestly is one of the 3 cardinal sins and a yeharog v'al yaavor!

For all you know, they might think it means talking too loudly or joking around men or who-knows-what. Much better to say, like the other posters mentioned, "They had forbidden relationships."

I was going to say this. Very unfair and irresponsible to teach vaguely so they think that wearing stockings without a seam will cause the 3rd BHMK not to come.

Also, what loves hashem said. Give ex of easy to understand relationships like immediate family.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics