Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Has anyone had exp using a private disability plan for birth

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 1:14 pm
We are looking into private disability plans for post birth (not pregnant now but may b"eh be in the near future).

Have you used a private plan? Were there any hidden surprises?

They say they cover birth, and I know I would have to be on the plan before getting pregnant, but I am nervous that there will be some reason why the might not pay.

These plans are not cheap, so before we shell out a lot of $ for it, we need to make sure that it actually will pay.

Please share any experiences or knowledge! (no speculation if you dont know, thanks Smile )

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 2:08 pm
Following.

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 3:12 pm
Trying again... have you used a private disability plan for birth?

amother
Tan

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 3:23 pm
Yes. Every plan is different. The majority have a waiting period- meaning a certain amount of time you need to be off from work with the disability before they start paying. The average is 30d. They also have a max amount of days they will pay per the disability diagnosis. For the plan I had, a vaginal birth is 6wks (so only get paid for 2) and c-section is 8wks (so get paid for 4wks). They also don't pay your full salary but a percentage. In my case it was 67%. Basically, you have to weigh your salary VS how much the premium for the private disability is. In my case it was worth it because I have a high salary and the premium was relatively low so I received significantly more for that 1 month of pay then I paid out in premiums.

Most states have a disability program if your employer doesn't cover you. Be aware that if you apply for that the money will be deducted from the private plan.

miami85

Post Sat, Nov 18 2017, 8:05 pm
If you are talking about Aflac I have that and I was able to structure it to meet my needs, you PM me for more info.

JessicaR

Post Sat, Nov 18 2017, 10:25 pm
I haven't used a plan but many of my friends did. The ones I know covered 60% of pay for 6 weeks. (not sure about C-section coverage) They had to have their doctor complete paperwork and submit and they got the checks weekly.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics