Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Looking to buy a guinea pig

avigail

Post Sun, Nov 19 2017, 2:16 pm
Any recommendations where to buy one in Brooklyn? Do you buy from a pet shop? A breeder? A shelter?
Thanks!

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Nov 19 2017, 2:33 pm
I bought mine in a pet store in Monsey. I'm sure you can find a place in Brooklyn. Just as an FYI the guinea pigs smell badly unless you clean the poop out of their cage on a daily basis. It's also quite expensive to keep up. They need Timothy hay always and special bedding which needs to constantly be changed . I you have the patience for all of this then you will enjoy it. I couldn't handle the stench and constant mess. But they are cute and have character.

wife2

Post Sun, Nov 19 2017, 2:34 pm
avigail wrote:
Any recommendations where to buy one in Brooklyn? Do you buy from a pet shop? A breeder? A shelter?
Thanks!

Craigslist or similar -people always give away. Then you get cage and supplies and save over $100

Ruchel

Post Sun, Nov 19 2017, 3:08 pm
Breeder is best. I know because I got a degre in this - for real LOL
Shelter is the most humane, but not the easiest option for a well socialized animal. Also ideally you would buy a pair (not a couple unless you want babies) so they don't feel alone.
Pet shop - be ready for relations mistakes and stuff.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Nov 19 2017, 3:10 pm
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
I bought mine in a pet store in Monsey. I'm sure you can find a place in Brooklyn. Just as an FYI the guinea pigs smell badly unless you clean the poop out of their cage on a daily basis. It's also quite expensive to keep up. They need Timothy hay always and special bedding which needs to constantly be changed . I you have the patience for all of this then you will enjoy it. I couldn't handle the stench and constant mess. But they are cute and have character.

This. Also if you do decide on a guinea pig make sure to get a male so you don't have to deal with the mess of menses. We ended up with a male hamster even though we originally wanted a guinea pig.

avigail

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 1:28 am
Thanks for all the responses! My kids really want one..I'm less sure.
Wife2 Thanks for the suggestion, Craigslist actually has a couple. Wouldn't have thought.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 7:55 pm
https://www.adoptapet.com/pet/.....a-pig

reality mom

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 8:30 pm
I had two male guinea pigs for a couple of months before I was no longer able to care for them. Their cage needed to be cleaned daily, and it was too time consuming, although my kids loved playing with them. I ended up giving it away to a member of Imamother, If youre seeing this then let me know how Harry and Sally are!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries