Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Is a tablet w/external keyboard ok? Or do I need a laptop?
Previous  1  2

Motherhood

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 6:25 pm
I have a pretty small tablet (8 inch) and use it constantly for college work. I love it!!! I have an external keyboard and it types terrific! I actually got it special to type my reports for college, since I have a desktop, but it is kept in my bedroom. Oh well, the only time I have for myself to work on college is when the kids are asleep and my baby is in my bedroom, so I cant work then. I got my tablet to work on when my kids are asleep, and it works out great!!!

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 7:11 pm
As a person who has been an administrator for 6 years KAh get a laptop that has a usb port so in case you need to connect it and also not all printers work on wifi. If you get a tablet DO NOT GET AN APPLE DEVICE!!! you will not be able to share things properly.

MyUsername

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 3:35 pm
Many chromebooks now have android apps - meaning skype etc, so you have what you want, pus a real keyboard, for much less money than a windows or mac laptop, and probably about the same or even less than a good tablet with a big enough screen for serious writing + keyboard.

As for printing, I haven't tried so I don't know about that, but it may be worth googling, because chromebooks get new features all the time.

seeker

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 3:57 pm
Just a note about the android apps, it's a new feature so there aren't many reviews about it yet but some predictions I read said that because existing android apps are optimized for touch screens, the way of the future may be touch screen chromebooks. Which of course run significantly more expensive. I'm also not sure to what extent app capability will affect one's memory needs, but since I haven't seen it discussed I'm guessing the assumption is that the typical low Chromebook memories should be able to handle it?

The better Chromebooks are priced similarly to the lower range laptops so it's hard to decide which way to go when budget is a concern.

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 3:58 pm
Unless you are doing CAD/CAM , intensive game design, engineering , or high level math/actuarial work you should be just fine with an Ipad tablet setup..

seeker

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 5:34 pm
If you're still looking for a budget laptop, I just picked up a Best Buy flyer and they have some excellent candidates you should check out on their website. Here is what caught my eye for you:

Dell Inspiron for $360 - 15.6" touchscreen, 8gb memory, 2TB memory, i5 processor. That's a VERY nice amount of computer for that price.
There's also a Lenovo with similar specs for $280 - no touchscreen and an AMD processor which I think may be less powerful but I don't know. However it comes closer to your target budget.

But if you were looking for even lower pricing without needing that much computer power (as indicated by your tablet question) they have a Lenovo 11.6" little number for $99. About the same size as a tablet+keyboard but with more options like USB ports. And it comes with a year subscription of Office365 which is like getting either the computer or the Office for free. I actually already ordered a better computer but I still need Office so for that price I could theoretically get a spare piece of junk for the kids. I don't think I shall but the thought crossed my mind.

There's also a different Lenovo for $179 with 4gb memory and 15.6" screen, so that's a lot more usefulness for not much more money, but it's unclear whether that is available online. And if you were looking for portability as in tablet, the smaller one fits that better.

There are also a handful of Chromebooks at good prices.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 11:56 pm
Oh seeker! Thank you for the detailed information. What a kind gesture :-)
My child broke a tooth last week and $300 went to the dentist to fix it, so no new computer for now :-(

seeker

Post Wed, Nov 22 2017, 12:12 am
Aw Sad Sorry... Do you have what you need for work, though?
B"H now I feel able to just go ahead and buy what I need but when I was stuck without a computer and needed it for writing and other work tasks, The Laptop Project came through for me big time. They refurbish older, donated computers to give to people who need them. I'm looking forward to being able to pay it forward soon!

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Nov 22 2017, 12:34 am
seeker wrote:
Aw Sad Sorry... Do you have what you need for work, though?
B"H now I feel able to just go ahead and buy what I need but when I was stuck without a computer and needed it for writing and other work tasks, The Laptop Project came through for me big time. They refurbish older, donated computers to give to people who need them. I'm looking forward to being able to pay it forward soon!

Laptop Project? Say more?
Meanwhile I'm without a computer. Not fun.

seeker

Post Wed, Nov 22 2017, 12:38 am
You can't be a writer without a computer! Even the $99 one is far better than nothing! Sales start tomorrow at Best Buy.

http://thelaptopproject.org/
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics