Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
S/O of rich: Mo' money, mo' problems?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Nov 22 2017, 7:56 am
Squishy wrote:
I have been saying over and over again that the larger lifestyle is causing the maintenance. It is really that simple. We are in agreement.

A 4000 sq ft house has twice the maintence of a 2000 sq ft house.

A different poster brought up vegetables -facetiously I think. Yes, it does take time, effort, and money to provide a healthier diet. You shop more frequently for fresh produce. You need to prepare it in appealing ways. You need to convince your family that vegetables are better than mezonees.

Also, I didn't like when I had baby nurses and nannies either. At that point in time, I deemed it necessary to have full time help. I had two sick babies and often had to go to Drs and hospitals*. I found them intrusive also, but the benefits outweighed the lack of privacy. I don't want round the clock help now when it is not necessary.

Do you ever get sick of company and just want down alone time with your family? The dynamics change when there is another person in your home. I suppose if I grew up with servants, they might be invisible to me.

*I included that part because inevitably some poster would compare this post to her own life. Seems to be in the frum world, one gets a pass on their bounty if they have tragedy.

But, being wealthy doesn't obligate you to live a larger lifestyle. There is no commandment 'Thou shalt flaunt your wealth'. Living to a certain standard is a lifestyle choice which many wealthy people make. It might be a burdensome at times, though you have the option to change that if you would want. It's not a 'problem' caused by wealth.

Post Wed, Nov 22 2017, 7:57 am
dancingqueen wrote:
You have no idea how big my house is or isn’t Wink. Let’s suffice it to say I can afford much more help then I have right now because I also prefer having my own space. It’s all choices as people have been telling you repeatedly. You also might want to think about how your posts seem to be hurting some other posters right now.

I am not looking to hurt anyone, so I will stop posting about house maintenance. But why would someone open up a thread with this topic heading or continue reading it if this is a trigger for them?

Post Wed, Nov 22 2017, 8:00 am
amother wrote:
But, being wealthy doesn't obligate you to live a larger lifestyle. There is no commandment 'Thou shalt flaunt your wealth'. Living to a certain standard is a lifestyle choice which many wealthy people make. It might be a burdensome at times, though you have the option to change that if you would want. It's not a 'problem' caused by wealth.

See previous posts on this thread about having a husband.

Alternative

Post Wed, Nov 22 2017, 8:04 am
Squishy wrote:
I have been saying over and over again that the larger lifestyle is causing the maintenance. It is really that simple. We are in agreement.

See, but then this whole discussion does not belong on this thread. This thread is about whether having more money necessarily leads to having more problems. All the examples you have given can be considered annoying problems, but they are not in any way shape or form 'necessary' problems of wealth.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Nov 22 2017, 8:16 am
Squishy wrote:

Poor people have husbands too.

Post Wed, Nov 22 2017, 8:18 am
Alternative wrote:
See, but then this whole discussion does not belong on this thread. This thread is about whether having more money necessarily leads to having more problems. All the examples you have given can be considered annoying problems, but they are not in any way shape or form 'necessary' problems of wealth.

But a larger lifestyle could not exist but for money.

What about families torn up or controlled by money?

Post Wed, Nov 22 2017, 8:19 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
Poor people have husbands too.

You're kidding???

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Nov 22 2017, 8:28 am
Squishy wrote:

But, that's also not about wealth. It's a lifestyle that your dh wants to live and you've obviously agreed to. Bh you have the money to fund it. There are many people who try to keep up with the Jonses and unfortunately fall into major debt from it. Luckily, you DON'T have that problem.

Alternative

Post Wed, Nov 22 2017, 8:31 am
Squishy wrote:

What about families torn up or controlled by money?

I know a few families fighting over a measly inheritance. Poor families are torn up over money just as much (if not more) than rich ones. Fighting over the little that is, or just all stressed because there is not enough.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Nov 22 2017, 8:36 am
Alternative wrote:

Mo money, Mo problems.

The more you have, the more you have to maintain.

The more you have, the more other people want it.

There are ways to mitigate these problems - living a very simple lifestyle, leaving cash in the bank in zero risk accounts (which is nearly impossible), and only you and your banker know about it.

Post Wed, Nov 22 2017, 8:51 am
amother wrote:
But, that's also not about wealth. It's a lifestyle that your dh wants to live and you've obviously agreed to. Bh you have the money to fund it. There are many people who try to keep up with the Jonses and unfortunately fall into major debt from it. Luckily, you DON'T have that problem.

I am too nervous for that. And I don't care enough about material luxuries to upset myself.
Page 10 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 Recent Topics