Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Where should I buy a nice summer home?

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 10:43 am
1. For no more than $100.000
2. About two hours from Brooklyn max
3. Low property taxes
4. Near an orthodox shul preferably Chabad
5. Some land for a pool and outdoor sitting under a tree.

Any ideas?

doctorima

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 11:39 am
You could try Kingston, NY, which has really cheap real estate and taxes plus a small Chabad/MO shul, but is probably more than 2 hours in traffic from Brooklyn. Anyplace on Long Island will likely exceed your budget, and NJ property taxes tend to be quite high. You could also try Tannersville, which also has cheap houses, but is also more like 2.5-3 hours from Brooklyn.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 1:05 pm
Maybe try in the Catskills Mountains like Tannersville and Leeds or try Sullivan County and surroundings.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 1:16 pm
I had no idea a nice summer home could be bought for $100,000 max. My grandmother ditched her dilapidated 1 br/ 1 ba Catskills bungalow close to 20 years ago and she got almost $100,00 for it. Very interested to see responses here. I'd love to have a summer home up in the mountains.

doctorima

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 2:05 pm
Burlywood - In the Jewish Catskills you won't find for 100K - supply and demand - but in smaller, less desirable parts of that geographic region, you may be able to find, such as Kingston or Tannersville. If not for the need for a nearby shul, you could find there for way, way less.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 2:22 pm
doctorima wrote:
. If not for the need for a nearby shul, you could find there for way, way less.

How much less? My circumstances are such that there is no need for a shul for me. Where can I find for way way less?
Thanks !

fbmommy

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 2:29 pm
If you don't need to be walking distance from a shul then you may find something cheap in the Catskills. There are plenty of small houses scattered around that most people don't want because its not close enough to a colony. Try a broker in Sullivan County and see what they say.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 4:28 pm
amother wrote:
1. For no more than $100.000
2. About two hours from Brooklyn max
3. Low property taxes
4. Near an orthodox shul preferably Chabad
5. Some land for a pool and outdoor sitting under a tree.

Any ideas?

I want to do the same thing. Can you tell me, how do I find someone to maintain it during the year to make sure there is no flooding, etc?

doctorima

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 4:52 pm
Check out this link for a number of options and ideas, even in places with Jewish communities like Liberty, Monticello, etc. (albeit not necessarily walking distance from any colonies). And if you go farther afield, there are listings for even < 50k. This is Zillow's list of places for sale in Sullivan County for <100k, you can tweak the parameters to your specifications:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/f....._mmm/

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 9:01 pm
doctorima wrote:
Check out this link for a number of options and ideas, even in places with Jewish communities like Liberty, Monticello, etc. (albeit not necessarily walking distance from any colonies). And if you go farther afield, there are listings for even < 50k. This is Zillow's list of places for sale in Sullivan County for <100k, you can tweak the parameters to your specifications:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/f....._mmm/

How much are property taxes?

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 6:10 am
U can find a home in the outskirts of the frum Scranton community for that price range-would give you chabad or other options for minyan, kosher groceries and pizza shop half hour away in Kingston, pa. Without traffic, it take 2 hrs and 20 min from Brooklyn...good luck!

doctorima

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 7:45 am
On any given home, you can click on it and then scroll down and there should be an option to see how much the property taxes are on that house.

shanie5

Post Wed, Nov 22 2017, 5:01 pm
amother wrote:
U can find a home in the outskirts of the frum Scranton community for that price range-would give you chabad or other options for minyan, kosher groceries and pizza shop half hour away in Kingston, pa. Without traffic, it take 2 hrs and 20 min from Brooklyn...good luck!

You can find a home in the frum community of Scranton for less than $100,000. But Scranton is not a 'summer home' kind of place. Its a city. Many people go away for the summer.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating