Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
If you were not you...
1  2  Next

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Nov 23 2017, 2:05 am
If you were not you, would you like yourself?

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Nov 23 2017, 2:31 am
Well, that would depend who I was. Some people like me, others don't. If I would have a personality compatible with my own, I'd like myself. If I was someone too different, I wouldn't.

amother
Dodgerblue

No

salt

I tend to like people that are similar to me, so I guess yes, I would like myself.
But then again, if I were not me, I may not be similar to how I am, so if I were a different me with a very different character, then I may not like myself, but if I were a different me, but with a similar character, then I would.

salt

Post Thu, Nov 23 2017, 2:32 am
amother wrote:
Well, that would depend who I was. Some people like me, others don't. If I would have a personality compatible with my own, I'd like myself. If I was someone too different, I wouldn't.

we cross-posted, and basically wrote the same thing.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Nov 23 2017, 4:07 am
Followup: would the person who is already you return the affections of the you who is someone else? And what if a third of you turned up?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Nov 23 2017, 4:56 am
imasoftov wrote:
Followup: would the person who is already you return the affections of the you who is someone else? And what if a third of you turned up?

Are you trying to give me a migraine? Hypnotized LOL

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Nov 23 2017, 10:03 am
Yes I would like myself. A lot more than I do now...

Zehava

Post Thu, Nov 23 2017, 11:05 am
Like they all said. If I had a similar personality then yes.

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 23 2017, 3:26 pm
I haven’t the foggiest notion, because if I were not I, the I who is not I would see me as others see me, not as I see me. And I have no idea how others see me, so I can’t know how the I who is not I would see me. See?

“O wad some Pow’r the giftie gie us
To see oursels as ithers see us.” —Robert Browning, “To a Louse”

Last edited by zaq on Thu, Nov 23 2017, 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Nov 23 2017, 5:50 pm
I would like myself a lot, but also be on the lookout for a friend with a bit less intensity

youngishbear

Post Thu, Nov 23 2017, 5:51 pm
imasoftov wrote:

How many us-es to make a minyan?

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Nov 23 2017, 6:16 pm
I would like me as a friend, but I would not want to be married to a spouse like me.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Thu, Nov 23 2017, 6:40 pm
I would like myself even more than I presently do, because if I weren't me, I wouldn't know my deep dark shameful secrets!!

Boca00

Post Thu, Nov 23 2017, 6:48 pm
Is the question:
A) if I was someone else (ex Hollywood98) would I like the present me (Boca00)
Or
B) if I was someone else (ex Hollywood98) would I like the new me (Hollywood98)?

If A, then... I would hope so but I guess if I was an anti-semite, anti-women, anti-whippersnappers or simply had xenophobia, then I wouldn't.

If B, then... The question is to (like) B or not to (like) B and then that really would depend on the variable of who B is. If I was a generally nice person I hope I would like myself, but if I was a nasty person I hope I wouldn't so I would change.

Just trying to give FF a migraine. You're welcome.

Boca00

Post Thu, Nov 23 2017, 6:52 pm
zaq wrote:
I haven’t the foggiest notion, because if I were not I, the I who is not I would see me as others see me, not as I see me. And I have no idea how others see me, so I can’t know how the I who is not I would see me. See?

“O wad some Pow’r the giftie gie us
To see oursels as ithers see us.” —Robett Browning, “To a Louse”

You have no idea how others see you? I find that surprising.

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 23 2017, 7:30 pm
Boca00 wrote:
You have no idea how others see you? I find that surprising.

I find it astonishing that you think so. Nobody sees himself as others see him. Not even physically, because we’re not really perfectly bilaterally symmetrical. When you see yourself in the mirror you don’t see exactly the same thing that people see when they look at you. You see yourself reversed.

And that’s just physically. How on earth can you possibly see your essential self as others see you? For one thing, every person sees you through the lens of his or her own experience, so no two people see you exactly the same way. And do you really believe that if you ask people to tell you what they think of you, that they will tell you the whole truth? If yes, I’d like to speak to you about a fantastic investment deal in the bridges of Kings county.

Boca00

Post Thu, Nov 23 2017, 7:35 pm
zaq wrote:
I find it astonishing that you think so. Nobody sees himself as others see him. Not even physically, because we’re not really perfectly bilaterally symmetrical. When you see yourself in the mirror you don’t see exactly the same thing that people see when they look at you. You see yourself reversed.

And that’s just physically. How on earth can you possibly see your essential self as others see you? For one thing, every person sees you through the lens of his or her own experience, so no two people see you exactly the same way. And do you really believe that if you ask people to tell you what they think of you, that they will tell you the whole truth? If yes, I’d like to speak to you about a fantastic investment deal in the bridges of Kings county.

I don't ask anyone how they see me. But when multiple people make the same unsolicited comments over and over, then yes, I have an idea of how people see me.

Don't you know if people think you're popular or socially off or just regular? If people think your gorgeous or plain? If people think you're kind and sweet, or too honest or downright nasty?

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 23 2017, 7:37 pm
“If I am I because I am I and you are you because you are you, then I am I and you are you. But if I am I because you are you, and you are you because I am I, then I am not I and you are not you. “

Boca00

Post Thu, Nov 23 2017, 7:45 pm
Agree. And I am not I because you tell me what you think of me. I may think something else completely of myself.

But I DO know what you think, even if I don't agree.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics