Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Offering seat on the train to a heavy woman.
Previous  1  2

imasoftov

Post Thu, Nov 23 2017, 5:56 am
amother wrote:
150 is obese now? shock

Depending on their height, a person weighing 150 pounds could be anywhere from underweight to obese. They would have to be at either end of the bell curve for height for that to happen, however.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Nov 23 2017, 10:02 am
amother wrote:
150 is obese now? shock

If you're under 5 feet it is.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Nov 23 2017, 10:19 am
amother wrote:
If you're under 5 feet it is.

It would be mild obesity. Everyone has a different point at which excess weight affects their health.

When my father, OBM, was in hospice, it shared a hospital floor with bariatrics so I often saw clinic patients coming in who were morbidly obese and got severely winded walking from the front door of the hospital to the elevator. Most of these patients were alive and kicking at several times the normal weight but some people can be diabetic or have heart or liver disease at even more modest weight elevations. There is really no formula for determining whose health will be affected and how.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Nov 23 2017, 3:28 pm
Speaking as someone close to 40 on that chart, my feet hurt when I stand. And so does my back. So I would be very grateful if s/o offered me a seat. But I almost never take public transportation, mainly because it would be quite difficult for me.

Last edited by amother on Thu, Nov 23 2017, 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 23 2017, 3:29 pm
amother wrote:
150 is obese now? shock

If you’re four foot eleven, it is. If you’re five foot six, it ‘s not.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Nov 23 2017, 3:54 pm
I'm right on the edge of morbid obesity. I have some inherited joint problems unrelated to the obesity, which are sometimes quiet and sometimes flare up. When my joints are angry, I'm always glad for a seat, although putting my purse down in my lap would likely be the biggest appeal: my hands usually get the worst of the pain. But I'd also feel embarrassed, because there's no way someone could really easily tell that I've got joint trouble.

And on good joint days (most of summer, and about half of winter), I've got no trouble standing for a long time or walking many miles. I always buy exceptionally comfortable shoes, because on bad joint days, the comfort of my shoes can be the difference between walking and not, so I'm probably more comfortable standing than the average woman then. Despite my weight, I don't really have much in the way of obesity related health complications. Cholesterol, blood pressure, blood sugar are all fine. I get out of breath easily when running, but never when walking.

That said, my MIL is about twice my size, and she has a terrible time standing. But she'd also probably not fit terribly well in one seat, and there's really not an option for her that's neither embarrassing nor painful on crowded public transit.

fmt4

Post Thu, Nov 23 2017, 9:48 pm
imasoftov wrote:
Depending on their height, a person weighing 150 pounds could be anywhere from underweight to obese. They would have to be at either end of the bell curve for height for that to happen, however.

How can this chart be right? I’m 5”2 and 115. According to this chart if I gained five pounds I would be overweight. That doesn’t make sense. My BMI is 21 on other BMI calculators.

Deep

Post Thu, Nov 23 2017, 10:05 pm
fmt4 wrote:
How can this chart be right? I’m 5”2 and 115. According to this chart if I gained five pounds I would be overweight. That doesn’t make sense. My BMI is 21 on other BMI calculators.

You would need to gain 20 lbs to be overweight.

imasoftov

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 3:54 am
Deep wrote:
You would need to gain 20 lbs to be overweight.

That's what I see, too. I added a vertical line at 5' 2", one horizontal line at 115 lb and another where 5' 2" has a BMI of 25

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics