Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Basic Algebra Question

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Nov 26 2017, 4:38 am
Okay, I work with math, so I should really know this, but want to make sure I'm right and would prefer not to risk asking my supervisor... So thank you so much if you can help!

If I bought apples for $0.69 per pound and oranges for $0.48 per pound, and spent $8.25 on 15 pounds of fruit, then I could write these equations to find how many pounds of each I bought:
x + y = 15
69x + 48y = 825

But what if next time I bought bananas, too. Then if I know I bought bananas for $0.85 per pound and I bought 25 fruits in all, and I paid $15, I could write these 2 equations with 3 variables, but I can't solve because for 3 variables I need 3 equations, right? So I would need to know something else about how at least 2 of these variables relate, right? Like that I bought twice as many apples as bananas or something. Is that correct? I am trying to show figure out if this answer is actually wrong before I say it is... Thanks again if you can help!

DrMom

Post Sun, Nov 26 2017, 4:47 am
Yes, that is correct. You need to have another piece of info, since you have 3 unknowns and only 2 equations.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Nov 26 2017, 4:54 am
DrMom wrote:
Yes, that is correct. You need to have another piece of info, since you have 3 unknowns and only 2 equations.

Thank you so much!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics