Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Bringing Appliances to Israel

artsy

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 9:13 am
Are there any appliances that someone would want to bring when making aliyah such as breadmaker, juicer, food processor and use with an adapter or is that not done.
Please advise where I can find out the most info about this.
Thank you.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 9:28 am
Anything bigger than a phone charger or computer charger can get ruined if you don't use a real converter, not one of the small things, but a big box thing. When we moved here we broke a lot of things, our tape recorder, printer, etc.

I suggest you find out which aplliances can get a european plug to get attached.

5mom

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 9:32 am
It's usually worth bringing large 220 appliances. Countertop appliances are best bought as 220 or purchased in Israel. A converter is expensive and doesn't always work. Especially if you have a mixer, the motor will likely be ruined by the converter.

Also, it's just nice to support Israeli stores.

artsy

Post Sat, Nov 25 2017, 9:54 pm
I am still not clear if it is possible that these appliances will work with a big converter or it is not worth it?
How can I find out which appliances specifically can work with a big converter or if it is worth the expense?
I understand the point of supporting Israeli business owners, but that is not a factor in my decision.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Nov 26 2017, 3:14 am
Listen, every appliance is different, whether it will work well or not. Also, big converters are such a pain to deal with. Many appliances aren't just sold in the USA, so think which appliances you want to bring, and google the names, and model numbers and try to find out if you can either order to the US before you move, or buy a European plus MADE for the appliance in Israel.

That's my suggestion. Many appliances are sold in Europe with a 220 plug, so see if you can just order the plug part and switch it out. If you can't you will have to call specific companies and ask if they can be used with a converter and what type you should get so you don't ruin it.

myname1

Post Sun, Nov 26 2017, 4:16 am
You're asking if it's possible they will work with a converter, or if it's commonly done and worthwhile? In my experience, they will work, but I don't think that makes it worthwhile, and I have heard they may not last. I have a mixer and sewing machine that I need to use with a big, heavy, expensive 600 Watt converter. But I'm not sure it's worth it.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Nov 26 2017, 5:23 am
I only have a transformer for my sewing machine and serger. Dh uses it also to charge his electric screwdriver.
Don't worry about if it's done or not, rather you are talking about small kitchen appliances. I'd advise against it for practicality. The transformer can more easily get ruined in the kitchen and takes up valuable space that is at a premium in most Israeli kitchens. If it is on the counter, it could get ruined by moisture. If it needs to be taken out for each use, it is more likely to be dropped and broken.
If you don't presently own the appliances, buy them in israel. You can get very good prices online since they use drop shipping. Most of ours have arrived in under a week, usually 2-3 days.
(Look at zap.co.il )

Teomima

Post Sun, Nov 26 2017, 5:34 am
Just wanted to add I totally agree with lymnok. If you already own the appliance, sure, just get a converter. But if you're going to buy new, to use in Israel, best to buy in Israel. Everything she said, about counter space being at a premium, the risk of damage, and the ability to find things reasonably priced in Israel when on sale, is spot on.

myname1

Post Sun, Nov 26 2017, 5:40 am
Iymnok wrote:
I only have a transformer for my sewing machine and serger. Dh uses it also to charge his electric screwdriver.
Don't worry about if it's done or not, rather you are talking about small kitchen appliances. I'd advise against it for practicality. The transformer can more easily get ruined in the kitchen and takes up valuable space that is at a premium in most Israeli kitchens. If it is on the counter, it could get ruined by moisture. If it needs to be taken out for each use, it is more likely to be dropped and broken.
If you don't presently own the appliances, buy them in israel. You can get very good prices online since they use drop shipping. Most of ours have arrived in under a week, usually 2-3 days.
(Look at zap.co.il )

I already said above I don't recommend it, unless you're really attached to some specific appliance and cannot easily replace it here for some reason. But just in case this is helpful to someone, regarding storage and use in a small Israeli kitchen:

We have one of the huge transformers, mostly for our mixer. It has a permanent home plugged into the outlet under the sink. When not in use, we turn off that fuse in the electrical box. So when I want to use the mixer, I take it out and put it on the counter and plug it into that US outlet under the sink. Then I just flip the fuse in the electrical box. Like I said, not really recommended, but this makes storage and use a bit less of a struggle if you have to deal with it anyway.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics