Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Menorah - cast or hammered?

amother
Azure

Post Sat, Nov 25 2017, 3:56 pm
I'd like to buy my husband a silver Menorah with some gift money from a relative.
I've been looking online and see there is a vast range in price.
What is the difference between "cast" and "hammered", and will it make a significant difference in the quality and appearance?

amother
Azure

Post Sat, Nov 25 2017, 4:01 pm
...and I see there is a 40% sale at Hazorfim, for another few hours only!

simba

Post Sat, Nov 25 2017, 4:24 pm
amother wrote:
...and I see there is a 40% sale at Hazorfim, for another few hours only!

It's a different design. You should be able to tell by the picture.

Do you live in NYC? The hazorfim website is expensive even at 40% off. You will get a better deal walking into a store.

amother
Azure

Post Sat, Nov 25 2017, 4:40 pm
It would be easier for me to get to Monsey than Brooklyn.
Any suggestions anyone for a silver store there?
He isn't the showy type, but really would be so happy with a nice silver Menorah.
What would be a nice height - so he feels he has something nice, but isn't over the top?

simba

Post Sat, Nov 25 2017, 5:15 pm
I don't know the Monsey stores but others here may be able to assist. I think about 20 inches is nice. 15 inches is on the smaller side. Depend s on your budget.

amother
Azure

Post Sat, Nov 25 2017, 5:28 pm
Thank you that's helpful.

Monsey anyone?
Perhaps that will need a new title...

simba

Post Sat, Nov 25 2017, 5:41 pm
If you post a few links from the hazorfim site of the style you like I can tell you if it is a good price.

amother
Azure

Post Sat, Nov 25 2017, 8:08 pm
Thank you for the offer Smile

Here's one (it's actually only 17"):
https://hazorfim.com/en/comino......html

This one is about 20 "
https://hazorfim.com/en/shop-b......html

Thank you for your input!
This is all new to me...and I don't want to disappoint him, but at the same time he's a modest type of guy, so I don't want to overdo it.... that's all rather relative I guess Smile

simba

Post Sun, Nov 26 2017, 5:11 am
The 2nd one (Bugatti) is a better deal for your money and a more classic look. It is not way overpriced. You may save $100 by going into a store.
The packaging from hazorfim does come nice and gifty.

Good luck

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Nov 26 2017, 6:19 am
It looks like some of the others are 50% off now.

iyar

Post Sun, Nov 26 2017, 7:14 am
If it's at all possible OP, I'd suggest you make your way to a silver store and don't buy online.
This is a significant gift at a significant price! I think you need to be able to see the different menorahs and hold them in your hand. The weight, the proportion, the beauty of a piece of silver can't be assessed from a picture, and I don't think you'll pay a lot more in a silver store (even with the sale prices).
Over the years you're going to be polishing this menorah and you also want to see is how complicated that will be. A tarnished menorah with old leftover polish caked into the intricate scroll work that you liked in the picture, won't have the same effect as a beautifully polished menorah.
Some pieces are flimsy and very lightweight to save on the cost of the silver. (They sometimes put weights inside the base to make up for this. A reputable seller will tell you if the piece is weighted.) You might want to go with something a little smaller and heavier that will stand up better to the many years of use your dh will hopefully get out of it.
If you don't think this will ruin the surprise you might even want to take dh along to the silver store, but you know him better than I do so I'm going to leave that part up to you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics