Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Help! I got "skunked"

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Nov 26 2017, 6:53 pm
So I'm on vacation in Israel and we got trapped in a Hafganah. We were driving back to our apartment from an outing when the driver said to get out because it's impossible to drive and he's going to head home (opposite direction of where we were going). So we got out and I got hit by the Skunk spray the police use for crowd control. A huge jet of it soaked my shoes and lower legs.
Any experienced Israelis know how to get that smell out? The shoes were expensive and I'd like to deodorize if possible.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 2:07 am
Anyone w any advice? Or does this only happen to tourists?

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 2:12 am
Terrible! I've never heard of this so no advice. Just wanted to say I'm sorry for your ogmat nefesh on your vacation.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 2:15 am
amother wrote:
Terrible! I've never heard of this so no advice. Just wanted to say I'm sorry for your ogmat nefesh on your vacation.
thanks.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 2:29 am
amother wrote:
Anyone w any advice? Or does this only happen to tourists?

I live in Jerusalem and can testify that it does not only happen to tourists, but I don't know what to do about it, either.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 2:29 am
Try בדיו spray fabric softener. It comes in a pink bottle. When my boys were in the army they had to practice riot control, and when they got skunked, they sprayed everything and hung it outside to air out. Of course, soldiers have pretty low standards for what constitutes acceptably smelly. Wink

sirel

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 2:32 am
I'm so sorry that happened to you, op.
I don't know if it's possible to get the smell out.

etky

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 3:10 am
sirel wrote:
I'm so sorry that happened to you, op.
I don't know if it's possible to get the smell out.

From what I've read you're probably best off tossing whatever got wet and smelly. Otherwise you risk transferring the smell to other items. It seems to be extremely difficult to get rid of the smell.
Sorry this happened to you!

ProudMommie

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 6:20 am
Do u have someone who is helping with this issue? If u want you can pm me with your number and I will call you and we'll try to figure this out hopefully...

ProudMommie

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 9:16 am
Someone said to use tomato juice soak. However, I believe the company that makes it can give u smthing to take out the smell. I would complain to mishtorah..they r usually helpful esp to tourists who are american$

etky

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 9:43 am
ProudMommie wrote:
Someone said to use tomato juice soak. However, I believe the company that makes it can give u smthing to take out the smell. I would complain to mishtorah..they r usually helpful esp to tourists who are american$

Tomato juice is the classic antidote to real biological skunk smell.
The 'skunk water' that the riot police use is composed chiefly of baking soda and yeast so I'm not sure that tomato juice would be effective. However, I think that OP has very little to lose is she tries....

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 10:24 am
The company's website says that the odor can be removed from clothing by washing. Don't know if that's true, but you could try.

If your shoes are leather, I'd try baking soda. If that doesn't work, try a pet deodorizer, like Nature's Miracle. It can't make it worse.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 12:06 pm
ProudMommie wrote:

According to wikipedia, the company only sells anti-skunk to the government, not to the public.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skunk_(weapon)#Removal

imasoftov

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 12:09 pm
etky wrote:
The 'skunk water' that the riot police use is composed chiefly of baking soda and yeast so I'm not sure that tomato juice would be effective. However, I think that OP has very little to lose is she tries....

It smells to me like the city does after a long garbage strike in the summer, so I think it has more than baking soda and yeast. Or is that the anti-skunk?

etky

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 12:12 pm
imasoftov wrote:
It smells to me like the city does after a long garbage strike in the summer, so I think it has more than baking soda and yeast. Or is that the anti-skunk?

According to an article I read, those are the main ingredients of the skunk itself.
B"h, I've never smelled it first-hand so I can't really say Whew

imasoftov

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 12:55 pm
etky wrote:
According to an article I read, those are the main ingredients of the skunk itself.
B"h, I've never smelled it first-hand so I can't really say Whew

According to the below people are collecting it to sell. My advice is if anyone ever offers you a whiff, decline.

https://www.theyeshivaworld.co......html

etky

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 1:30 pm
imasoftov wrote:
According to the below people are collecting it to sell. My advice is if anyone ever offers you a whiff, decline.

https://www.theyeshivaworld.co......html

That is so gross. I wonder how they even allowed it on the plane!
I read this evening that peleg activists who were sprayed are being encouraged by activists to go around town and into public places to diffuse the scent among the public.
I also read that they were collecting it to dump in public places.
Charming....

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 5:45 pm
Thanks, everyone! I'm going to bring them home and see what can be done. My husband wrapped them in like 50 shopping bags, and the smell is totally contained in there. Someone suggested the pet odor deodorizer. I'll try that, and I'll try washing with vinegar in the water, and then regular detergent. Who knows? If I can't get the smell out, maybe I can auction them on ebay as a curiosity.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 2:07 am
So here's what I'm wondering - let's say one of the Peleg demonstrators comes home to his wife or mother smelling of skunk. The entire family supports the Peleg. But does whoever has to do the laundry say "I am happy that I too can participate by deodorizing your suit for you" or "next time, get out of the way when they start spraying"?

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 2:16 am
I would try oxy clean for the clothing
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions