Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Need insight please!

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 9:05 pm
I've written before about my primary aged son who is having problems with kriah and behavior.
The school called me that they would like him to start seeing the school counselor. In the beginning I thought they meant a behavior therapist so I agreed but now I'm not so sure.
Basically my son is having a lot of difficulty in kriah and I'm getting lots of calls about him fighting. I asked him today about fighting during recess and he told me that the only thing to do is play tag and he's not a fast runner and so they just "fight"?!
Obviously he's fighting besides recess and when I mentioned this to one of the principals she said the park is almost ready and she knows they need more activities but none of the other boys are fighting because there's nothing else to do.
I called up his last years morah and his camp from the summer and they are shocked at this behavior. They said that's not him at all!
The school is suggesting that he feels bad about not doing well in kriah but I doubt this is it! He's so easy going and relaxed I highly doubt this would be affecting him! In fact, I doubt he even realizes that he's behind!
Another thing that I just put together which might be really strange is that he's been urinating in cups and bags and the corner of his bed at night since he started school. Could that have anything to do with the situation?

And what is going on?!?!

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 9:57 pm
amother wrote:
I've written before about my primary aged son who is having problems with kriah and behavior.
The school called me that they would like him to start seeing the school counselor. In the beginning I thought they meant a behavior therapist so I agreed but now I'm not so sure.
Basically my son is having a lot of difficulty in kriah and I'm getting lots of calls about him fighting. I asked him today about fighting during recess and he told me that the only thing to do is play tag and he's not a fast runner and so they just "fight"?!
Obviously he's fighting besides recess and when I mentioned this to one of the principals she said the park is almost ready and she knows they need more activities but none of the other boys are fighting because there's nothing else to do.
I called up his last years morah and his camp from the summer and they are shocked at this behavior. They said that's not him at all!
The school is suggesting that he feels bad about not doing well in kriah but I doubt this is it! He's so easy going and relaxed I highly doubt this would be affecting him! In fact, I doubt he even realizes that he's behind!
Another thing that I just put together which might be really strange is that he's been urinating in cups and bags and the corner of his bed at night since he started school. Could that have anything to do with the situation?

And what is going on?!?!

Pandas. Without a doubt.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 10:01 pm
Look into the possibility of trauma. Drastic behavior changes are a red flag.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 10:04 pm
Just got back from doc. Kg son was not himself im always laughing at the new panda illness but whatayaknow-doc says pandas!

crust

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 6:15 am
amother wrote:
Look into the possibility of trauma. Drastic behavior changes are a red flag.

This.
Could something have happened in camp?

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 10:07 am
peeing in cups makes me think he may be scared to use the bathroom. Perhaps someone sprung up on him in a bathroom recently? Maybe he developed a fear of coming out at night in the dark?
Maybe get him a few sessions of Somatic Experiencing with a seasoned SE practitioner.
Sending him and you some hugs Hug

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 10:19 am
amother wrote:

And what is going on?!?!

I've no clue what is going on. But IMNSHO, I'd make an appointment with his pediatrician, and then with a therapist of YOUR choice. There's something going on, and no one here can diagnose.

As to the school saying that no one else fights ... one of my sons was already seeing a therapist for various issues. The school called to complain of some game that he played where another child was supposedly hurt. The school had never seen such a game, ever. My son invented it and hurt another child. It was a horror! He was terrible. We had to do something about it! Well, I was properly ashamed. We made an appointment with the therapist, who couldn't help himself. He laughed. Really laughed. Hard. He had played that same game 35 years ago at his yeshiva. His sons played that game at their yeshivas. Most boys play that game at their yeshivas. He knew plenty of kids at DS' school, whom he saw, who played the game. And if the kid was hurt, he was playing it as well (which is what my son claimed). So maybe a bunch of boys really are play fighting, and the school isn't saying
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics